HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 13, 2012, 05:16 PM
Registered User
justj's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Pushers

..... and if it's a pusher, like an Axon........ a little up and left!
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 14, 2012, 02:35 AM
Registered User
psychedvike's Avatar
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Thanks Ed

First I would like to thank Ed for starting this string and giving such great information and inspiration to so many of us. I have learned a great deal from this forum. i am a newbee to RC groups and have just gotten back in the Hobby after many years of being away from it. My background is more in combat line control planes. simular but very different. I have built three planes using Ed's wing desing, since finding this great site. The first is a P51 with a 30 inch wing. It has a very fast roll rate and proved to be too much for me with my current flying skills. It flies nice though when flown by a friend who knows what he's doing. The next was a BF109 which is nearly complete, Put it on hold til I gain some skills. And finally a Piper Grasshopper thats ready for her maiden flight as soon as weather permits. Here is some pics of the piper. I will post pics of the other too as soon as I take some.
Thanks again Ed
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:21 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
First I would like to thank Ed for starting this string and giving such great information and inspiration to so many of us. I have learned a great deal from this forum. i am a newbee to RC groups and have just gotten back in the Hobby after many years of being away from it. My background is more in combat line control planes. simular but very different. I have built three planes using Ed's wing desing, since finding this great site. The first is a P51 with a 30 inch wing. It has a very fast roll rate and proved to be too much for me with my current flying skills. It flies nice though when flown by a friend who knows what he's doing. The next was a BF109 which is nearly complete, Put it on hold til I gain some skills. And finally a Piper Grasshopper thats ready for her maiden flight as soon as weather permits. Here is some pics of the piper. I will post pics of the other too as soon as I take some.
Thanks again Ed
What a great looking plane, is the fuselage made from dollar tree foam board?
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:40 AM
UAS Engineer
CarbonFlite's Avatar
United States, WA, Battle Ground
Joined May 2012
223 Posts
Hi Ed,
I was wondering if you are going to do a build video for the Ozone? I didn't see it in your fleet in the latest video...
If not, can I PM a few questions to you?
CarbonFlite is offline Find More Posts by CarbonFlite
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 11:11 AM
Registered User
JohnsPop's Avatar
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,813 Posts
Really nice Grasshopper, Vike!
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 03:16 PM
Registered User
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Axon flight

Had a nice 22 min flight on the Axon this morning. It is begging for FPV gear! I sorted out the power issues and CG problem by moving the CG aft to about 35% and installing an 11x7 prop. Now she will cruise around at about half throttle and is much more stable too. A quick video of the landing.

Axon landing (0 min 30 sec)
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:23 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
ExperimentalAir's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stepinwolf View Post
For starters I must once again give a big " Thank You " to Ed for developing this new style of $ tree foam build, and making RC flying more accessible, not to mention affordable for all of us.

Now repairing damage, or even swapping out motors for that matter has become a non issue. I can replace the complete motor and mount in less then one minute at the field just by removing the two small hex head bolts that are on the bottom.

Fly safe
Uncle Bob
Uncle Bob - I would say your motor mounts pretty well blow mine away. You must have CNC and/or a very precise hand. I say bolt-on is a great way to go. The foam tape+gift card is good if you can access the tape to freeze it with canned air and snap it off, but if your mount is up inside a fuselage, you do risk headaches and damage. Thanks for sharing. If you make a video pleas post it as a response to my metal motor mount video.

Cheers,
Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 05:24 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
ExperimentalAir's Avatar
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
First I would like to thank Ed for starting this string and giving such great information and inspiration to so many of us. I have learned a great deal from this forum. i am a newbee to RC groups and have just gotten back in the Hobby after many years of being away from it. My background is more in combat line control planes. simular but very different. I have built three planes using Ed's wing desing, since finding this great site. The first is a P51 with a 30 inch wing. It has a very fast roll rate and proved to be too much for me with my current flying skills........
That looks amazing! That takes a really refined approach to using foamboard, with the finished wingtips and tapered fuselage. I look forward to more photos and build info.

Ed
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:30 PM
FPV maniac
bah7566's Avatar
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Wing Cam View

This is a video taken today with a keychain cam mounted on the wing of my 56" FPV airplane. Thought some may like the different prospective.

56 inch FPV Airplane Wing Cam View 14 Oct 2012 (7 min 35 sec)
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 08:54 PM
P-51
United States, SC, Summerville
Joined Oct 2012
2 Posts
Hey guys i have a question for you all i fly generally large gas war birds and i have been doing it for years but ever since i have heard about fpv and bought real flight g5.5 flight simulator and played it's online combat sim i have been itchin to try this i have been looking at eagle tree because they have a heads up display that overlays batt life,horizon, airspeed,gps and also has an antenna tracker with distance so i don't out fly my radio they also just came out with a flight stabilizer but will this all work with video goggles im also worried about getting to much vibration from the engine and oil contamination on the camera im also kinda on a budget having 5 kids.

so you guys have any good suggestions for me...

thanks
Landis164@gmail.com
Landis164 is offline Find More Posts by Landis164
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 14, 2012, 09:23 PM
Retired, and working hard at.
stepinwolf's Avatar
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
Uncle Bob - I would say your motor mounts pretty well blow mine away. You must have CNC and/or a very precise hand. I say bolt-on is a great way to go. The foam tape+gift card is good if you can access the tape to freeze it with canned air and snap it off, but if your mount is up inside a fuselage, you do risk headaches and damage. Thanks for sharing. If you make a video pleas post it as a response to my metal motor mount video.

Cheers,
Ed
For starters Ed, I would like to thank you for your kind words. As for the motor mount, I wouldn't go so far as saying my mount blows yours away, it just an additionnal option for those who are willing to go through the trouble of setting it up. As far as a CNC machine is concerned, no I don't have one yet , but I have already purchased the parts ( so far 4500$ worth ) and received just about all the necessary parts to build my own.

Getting back to the subject, there is a procedure however, that I might recommend that you mention, for those who must glue the mount ( as per your video ) to the fuselage. I would recommend that they glue their motor mount to the outside bottom of the fuselage, using the exact same procedure that is shown in your video. That way, it would help protect the front fuselage area, and when the time comes to repair, or replace the motor or the mount itself, they don't have to destroy the tubing in order to get it off. Just a thought,,,

You have my best regards Ed
Uncle Bob
stepinwolf is offline Find More Posts by stepinwolf
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 12:37 AM
Registered User
psychedvike's Avatar
United States, MN, Shoreview
Joined Aug 2012
133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
What a great looking plane, is the fuselage made from dollar tree foam board?
Thanks rcnewbieoz

The wing tips and the fuselage made from foam I purchase from Home Hepo. It”s Owns Corning pink insulation. It comes in several sizes. I used 1/2”. Which comes in 4’ X 8’ sheets for a little over 8 dollars? I cut the tips out to rough shape them sanded them to finish after I hot glued them to the wings. The fuselage is also 1/2”, 4 pieces laminated together with Krylon spray adhesive. This kind of foam shapes very easily but you need to use light pressure or it will tear, leaving a rough finish. To finish it I thinned lightweight joint compound and brushed it on with a light sanding and painted it with Rustolium.

The first two planes I made I used dollar tree foam for the fuselage I will post pics of them tomorrow.
psychedvike is offline Find More Posts by psychedvike
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 05:28 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by psychedvike View Post
Thanks rcnewbieoz

The wing tips and the fuselage made from foam I purchase from Home Hepo. It”s Owns Corning pink insulation. It comes in several sizes. I used 1/2”. Which comes in 4’ X 8’ sheets for a little over 8 dollars? I cut the tips out to rough shape them sanded them to finish after I hot glued them to the wings. The fuselage is also 1/2”, 4 pieces laminated together with Krylon spray adhesive. This kind of foam shapes very easily but you need to use light pressure or it will tear, leaving a rough finish. To finish it I thinned lightweight joint compound and brushed it on with a light sanding and painted it with Rustolium.

The first two planes I made I used dollar tree foam for the fuselage I will post pics of them tomorrow.
Thanks for the info. I live in Australia and have never seen insulation foam at the hardware/homewares stores :-( I can buy sheets of depron but found it expensive and also relatively fragile compared to foam board.

Nice work! Look forward to seeing photos of your other two planes.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 08:20 AM
Registered User
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
Really enjoyed the DT foam wing building videos. I built my first flying plank wing (25 deg sweep, no taper) but we were unable to get it to fly the first time out. I haven't given up! The fun has been in the building process. I think I enjoy that more than flying anyway.
We tried again and just could not get this contraption to fly. I even moved components around. At the suggestion of someone at the field, I may convert it to a twin boom with ele and rud and make a DT foam fuse for it, similar to what I've seen here before.

Ah well, it's a really inexpensive learning process
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Reply With Quote
Old Oct 15, 2012, 11:05 AM
Registered User
justj's Avatar
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
305 Posts
Experience

Quote:
Originally Posted by viper522 View Post
We tried again and just could not get this contraption to fly. I even moved components around. At the suggestion of someone at the field, I may convert it to a twin boom with ele and rud and make a DT foam fuse for it, similar to what I've seen here before.

Ah well, it's a really inexpensive learning process
I understand your experience! I started with an Axon clone.... Busted up the nose 6 or 7 times..... got one good flight out of it before I beat it up so bad I had to retire it. Great fun! I had a great time of it! AND I learned a lot.
So keep at it and you'll get it worked out!

A huge THANK YOU ED! This is cheaper and more fun than cable TV!
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 58 Nov 09, 2013 03:01 PM
Build Log SEW-SLO 30" Foamboard Wing Atx_Heli Flying Wings 0 May 19, 2011 09:47 PM
Question So I have a sheet of $Tree foamboard... what to build? Bomb Dropper Foamies (Scratchbuilt) 15 Mar 23, 2011 02:49 PM
Discussion EDF/Motor for University Design Project uwpropulsionguy Electric Ducted Fan Jet Talk 0 Mar 06, 2011 03:24 PM