HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:18 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
56" Foam Board FPV airplane

Update on the 56" Foam Board FPV airplane. I decided to tear up the tail and redo it correctly this time. Thank you for the information on the flying stab. I had never thought about what type of air foil it should be and how it should be oriented. After your comment I really thought about it and you are correct. I couldn't let it ride, I had to make it right. I made a new horizontal stabilizer and this time it has no airfoil. It is double thickness for added strength but it is completely flat on both sides. It was simple to make and I felt much better about flying this one. I did maiden it today and it flew pretty well. A little shakey on the launch but It did fly nice. I am now trimming and working on a few mixes to fine tune the airframe but I am happy with the results.

Maiden and after flight walk around. Enjoy!

Pride Plane entry and 56 inch FPV airplane maiden 8 Oct 2012 (HD) (Pride Plane contest entry) (6 min 20 sec)
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 08, 2012, 10:51 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
669 Posts
It would have probably flown as is, but it likely would have odd flying characteristics. A lifting tail, as originally built, generates more lift as it speeds up, raising the tail, lowering or "tucking" the nose, we don't expect the nose to be forced down with increased throttle, in full size aircraft when flying in trimmed level flight, the nose goes up when you increase throttle, many models display the same trait, its expected. The same thing happens when an aircraft is trimmed for landing, if a go around is started, the nose pulls up, usually quite a bit, but that is expected and the pilot lowers the nose till he can trim the aircraft for the desired climb speed.

I've never flown a pusher plane, but I'm told that pushers exhibit the trait of pushing the nose down with increased throttle, initiate a go around when only a few feet above the ground it can actually push the airplane onto the ground, which is one of the main reasons why transition training is so important for full size pilots.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 09, 2012, 11:28 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,408 Posts
Totally awesome I'll make something similar one day when I get the time
Flies like a champ.

Quote:
Originally Posted by bah7566 View Post
Update on the 56" Foam Board FPV airplane. I decided to tear up the tail and redo it correctly this time. Thank you for the information on the flying stab. I had never thought about what type of air foil it should be and how it should be oriented. After your comment I really thought about it and you are correct. I couldn't let it ride, I had to make it right. I made a new horizontal stabilizer and this time it has no airfoil. It is double thickness for added strength but it is completely flat on both sides. It was simple to make and I felt much better about flying this one. I did maiden it today and it flew pretty well. A little shakey on the launch but It did fly nice. I am now trimming and working on a few mixes to fine tune the airframe but I am happy with the results.

msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Oct 09, 2012, 06:37 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=n4XQf-It19I

Cool Plane. Great way to get tractor prop efficiency with a good forward FPV view. I have noticed that several commercial drone manufacturers use this configuration. Looks like it works well.
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
Old Oct 10, 2012, 04:38 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:

Nice bird, nice video thanks for sharing
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Oct 10, 2012, 06:58 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Thank you all for the nice comments on my 56" foam board FPV airplane. I also thank you all for your ideas and builds that you have posted in this thread. I used many of the ideas I have seen here from all of you. I hope to get more flights soon. I will also process and post the onboard video after I trim it down as it's fairly boring.

Bruce
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:00 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Axon maiden

Had a successful maiden of the enlarged Axon today. Some thoughts and a few questions:

- The weight is quite significant with the two 3.3mah batts up front. The 1100kv Turnigy and 11x4 prop do a good job pushing the plane around. But, I do have to keep the speed up and it takes about 3/4 throttle to cruise around comfortably without the plane getting too mushy.

- I was hoping to use this plane as an FPV platform in the future, but it looks as if I would have to stay around the current weight. I may be able to remove one 3.3mah batt up front and replace it with the camera and gear. Any thoughts?

I would like to run closer to half throttle and increase lift. Reducing weight would do this, but it is not an option. Would adding another 15" section of wing do this? Or, would increasing prop pitch to say 11x6 be a better option and just live with the increased stall speed?

This plane does not glide well. I tried the old dive and drive on landing and with full up elevator in the flare it was still sinking pretty rapidly. I think this may be partially because of the nose heavy CG I had for the maiden. But, The weight and lack of lift was another.

If anyone has any feedback I'm all ears. Wish I had a scale so i could get a AUW for everyone. Thanks fellas!
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Oct 10, 2012, 11:35 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
Had a successful maiden of the enlarged Axon today. Some thoughts and a few questions:

- The weight is quite significant with the two 3.3mah batts up front. The 1100kv Turnigy and 11x4 prop do a good job pushing the plane around. But, I do have to keep the speed up and it takes about 3/4 throttle to cruise around comfortably without the plane getting too mushy.

- I was hoping to use this plane as an FPV platform in the future, but it looks as if I would have to stay around the current weight. I may be able to remove one 3.3mah batt up front and replace it with the camera and gear. Any thoughts?

I would like to run closer to half throttle and increase lift. Reducing weight would do this, but it is not an option. Would adding another 15" section of wing do this? Or, would increasing prop pitch to say 11x6 be a better option and just live with the increased stall speed?

This plane does not glide well. I tried the old dive and drive on landing and with full up elevator in the flare it was still sinking pretty rapidly. I think this may be partially because of the nose heavy CG I had for the maiden. But, The weight and lack of lift was another.

If anyone has any feedback I'm all ears. Wish I had a scale so i could get a AUW for everyone. Thanks fellas!
What is your wingspan? What motor are you using, or at least what wattage is it capable of? I'm using a Turnigy 35-36-1400 motor, and a APCe 10x5 works very well on it. Where is your cg at, relative to your wing chord?
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4
Old Oct 11, 2012, 04:18 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
391 Posts
Forward CG

Asymair, it looks like you might be able to move your batteries aft a bit, perhaps shift one to the inside of the lower deckhouse tube. As long as you don't go so far as to get an aft center of gravity you may be able to improve your glide.
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:09 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Axon maiden

This is a pretty much a standard Ex Airlines Axon with the exception of the upper deck house and 6 fold base structure.

Wingspan is 60"
Chord including Ailerons is 9"
CG is about 25% using the fingertip method
Engine is a Turnigy D3536-8 max watt 432
Prop 11x4
ESC Turnigy trust 55 amp
Batt 3s 3.3 mah 35-70

I really need a scale so I can get a total weight. Does anyone have a cheap way to get it done...post office maybe...UPS store?

The more I think about it I may just try a larger pitch prop first because it is easy. After the flight the engine and ESC were cool to the touch, so i don't think it will be a problem. I have some nice 12" props here...but they won't fit. I'll try and get my hands on a nice 11x6 or something close to that.
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Oct 11, 2012, 10:21 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
This is a pretty much a standard Ex Airlines Axon with the exception of the upper deck house and 6 fold base structure.

Wingspan is 60"
Chord including Ailerons is 9"
CG is about 25% using the fingertip method
Engine is a Turnigy D3536-8 max watt 432
Prop 11x4
ESC Turnigy trust 55 amp
Batt 3s 3.3 mah 35-70

I really need a scale so I can get a total weight. Does anyone have a cheap way to get it done...post office maybe...UPS store?

The more I think about it I may just try a larger pitch prop first because it is easy. After the flight the engine and ESC were cool to the touch, so i don't think it will be a problem. I have some nice 12" props here...but they won't fit. I'll try and get my hands on a nice 11x6 or something close to that.
I use a set of electronic kitchen scales, they are quite cheap ($10-15) from any type of homewares/discount outlet.

I've found that a watt meter is an invaluable tool, it can tell you how much power each prop configuration is drawing and help you pick the most appropriate prop for the motor/esc combination.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Oct 11, 2012, 11:56 PM
llommel
United States, MN, Kimball
Joined Aug 2012
18 Posts
bah, nice job on the plane & vid. What did you use to fasten the duroplast to the wing tips? I tried gluing durolast before but found out glue dosen't stick to it very well.
llommel is offline Find More Posts by llommel
Old Oct 12, 2012, 01:44 AM
Delta, BC, Canada
Joined Oct 2003
1,839 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
It would have probably flown as is, but it likely would have odd flying characteristics.
Don't tell that to all the Old Timer Free Flight fans out there. Most Free Flight planes from the 30's and 40's had lifting stabilizers and they flew fine.

In modern times, the Telemaster and Lazy Ace both had lifting stabilizers and flew great and were loved by many who flew them.

http://forums.hobby-lobby.com/telema...lemaster-4967/
http://rcadvisor.com/tag/lifting-stabilizer
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648093

Don't be afraid to experiment... it could have been made to fly just fine; maybe even great, like the Telemaster or Laze Ace.
groundfx is offline Find More Posts by groundfx
Old Oct 12, 2012, 05:45 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by llommel View Post
bah, nice job on the plane & vid. What did you use to fasten the duroplast to the wing tips? I tried gluing durolast before but found out glue dosen't stick to it very well.
I just used low temp hot glue. It seems to be holding up fine so far.

Quote:
Originally Posted by groundfx View Post
Don't tell that to all the Old Timer Free Flight fans out there. Most Free Flight planes from the 30's and 40's had lifting stabilizers and they flew fine.

In modern times, the Telemaster and Lazy Ace both had lifting stabilizers and flew great and were loved by many who flew them.

http://forums.hobby-lobby.com/telema...lemaster-4967/
http://rcadvisor.com/tag/lifting-stabilizer
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=648093

Don't be afraid to experiment... it could have been made to fly just fine; maybe even great, like the Telemaster or Laze Ace.
The ole Telemaster from the early 80's is what gave me the idea in the first place. I just couldn't remember if it was a flat bottom air foil or not. That airplane was a wonderful flying airplane. I figured that if the tail was a lifter and with the prop location on this airplane I didn't need two forces trying to pitch the nose down even if I could have overcome the pitching with trim, that's why I decided to swap it out. If it was a conventional tractor prop such as the Telemaster I most likely would have flown it and see how it does. Anyhow I'm satisfied with the way it flew and handles but I do need to get more time on it.
Old Oct 12, 2012, 10:11 AM
Retired, and working hard at.
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Far away shipping

Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
I looked into "excess baggage" shipping, which is door-to-door, and usually used for travelers but it looks like they will send anything.

An online quote from one service for a box of 50 sheets of Readi-Board this was about US$260 to Sydney and US$220 to London. So that's beginning to be in the competitive range of $5-6 per sheet. I didn't do any shopping around but it probably would pay off.

Help me out with more ideas.
Ed, you asked for more idea's, well here is one bound to work, if you can pull it off. There are hundreds, if not thousands of those large metal containers being shipped back and forth to Asia and Europe from the West coast on a almost daily basis. If you could get in touch with one of the shipping brokers, ( even locally they have connections ) explain your needs, and see if a number of $ tree boxes could not somehow be included in one of the containers. Since weight would not be an issue, the cost might only be close to a bottle of 40 once spirits. Another option might be to run an ad, seeking anyone shipping a vehicle, or any other large item for that matter, and offer to compensate the indavidual for his or her trouble of including a few boxes in their container.

Lastely I might also consider running an ad on Ebay to see if there is any one shipping a container to far away lands.

Just a thought, so it might be worth a try,,,

Uncle Bob
stepinwolf is offline Find More Posts by stepinwolf