HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:25 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Thanks rcnewbie
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:31 PM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
What config are you going to use for your VTOL Rimshot? Tiltwing?
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old Oct 06, 2012, 12:35 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
What config are you going to use for your VTOL Rimshot? Tiltwing?
I have two threads that I probably should combine however I hope to embed some EDFs in the wings and use techniques from my bicopter for controls.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1683638

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1730451
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:44 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
i got some video of a short flight of the skinyboom glider i will try to get a better video tomorrow
skinyboom power glider (1 min 46 sec)
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Oct 06, 2012, 10:57 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
@rimshotcopter... how is that flying wing coming along?
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Oct 07, 2012, 05:45 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,700 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
@rimshotcopter... how is that flying wing coming along?
She is ready for testing, because I had to us to batteries to get the CG to balance, I am thinking of adding gyros because she will have to fly really fast with the existing wings.

I have a new set ready to go with a greater area.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 07, 2012, 01:56 PM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Looks like a smooth flyer there, Conbones! Don't worry 'bout it, I never have anybody helping me with videos either.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:35 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I had that problem on a plane I had built and it turned out to be prop size. I had a 11x7 on it and when I switched to a 10x7 it stopped. Too much prop was my problem. How do you do the twin motors and esc's? Hook up I mean. Do you use a Y cable to connect them to the RX?

Tom
I use a y cable with one of the power leads pulled off one of the escs. I did try smaller props and changing the timing of escs, but still does it. Although it only does it now when the battery is fully charged. So I have been flying around alot at 3/4 throttle for the first half of the flight! Maybe I need an even smaller prop.
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
Old Oct 07, 2012, 07:56 PM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
56" Foam Board FPV airplane

Here's a look at my new 56" Foam Board FPV airplane. I have not flown it yet but I will tomorrow if the weather permits flying.

Blog link: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...3#post22929233

56 inch FPV wing walk around 5 Oct 2012 (24 min 50 sec)
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Old Oct 07, 2012, 11:30 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Just curious if you are aware that stabilizer airfoils are normally upside down? The wing generates lift, while the stab is inverted to counter that lift to stabilize the airplane.

"An upside down wing surface with a down lift vector, the horizontal stab counteracts the normal pitch down usually found when the Lift vector is aft of the CG."
http://rbogash.com/Safety/stabilizers.html
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Oct 07, 2012 at 11:42 PM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 07:59 AM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Can anyone help me out? Guess I am not very good at searching these forums but I am trying to find the specs on the Peace Drone and not having any luck. Thanks for any help you can give.
Yeah man, sorry I haven't done a better job supporting the design. The Peace Drone seems to have complex personality that has required longer to get to know, with the help of other builders' experience as well. A formal build video is forthcoming in the next few months.

You can have a look at ExperimentalAirlines channel for some of the earlier videos: http://www.youtube.com/user/Experime...s?feature=mhee

There's also this RCG thread: http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1564769
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:08 AM
FPV maniac
Colorado
Joined Sep 2007
587 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
Just curious if you are aware that stabilizer airfoils are normally upside down? The wing generates lift, while the stab is inverted to counter that lift to stabilize the airplane.

"An upside down wing surface with a down lift vector, the horizontal stab counteracts the normal pitch down usually found when the Lift vector is aft of the CG."
http://rbogash.com/Safety/stabilizers.html
That is a very good point and I have been thinking about that since I built the horizontal tail. I don't know if this will work or not. It does not have much of a foil but there certainly is some. Perhaps I should have mounted the tail plane with a little bit of incidence to account for the foil.

I don't know how this one is going to work. It will probably will want to nose down quite a bit. I guess I should have built it with the horizontal stabilizer on the bottom of the tail tube up side down or just gone with a simple flat tail. I may have to build a normal horizontal stabilizer or fly this one with a lot of up trim on the elevator. Hmmm, what to do.
bah7566 is offline Find More Posts by bah7566
Last edited by bah7566; Oct 08, 2012 at 08:34 AM.
Old Oct 08, 2012, 11:25 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,817 Posts
Give her a go with the knowledge that it may nose down on launch. I'd put a touch of up elevator in it before you launched it. Once you fly it, if it wants to nose down too much, cut you a thin wedge of foam (or you could even use a piece of balsa aileron stock) and glue to the top of your H stab. Cover over it with your blue tape and no one is the wiser. That'll save you from having to cut a bunch of stuff apart.....
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 08, 2012, 01:05 PM
United States, FL, Palm Beach
Joined Jan 2011
1,162 Posts
Really enjoyed the DT foam wing building videos. I built my first flying plank wing (25 deg sweep, no taper) but we were unable to get it to fly the first time out. I haven't given up! The fun has been in the building process. I think I enjoy that more than flying anyway.
viper522 is offline Find More Posts by viper522
Old Oct 08, 2012, 08:14 PM
Stick banger
USA, AZ, Chandler
Joined Oct 2004
1,031 Posts
Finally had someone take a few in-flight pics of my dollartree foamboard FPV plane.
Ace4 is offline Find More Posts by Ace4