HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 04, 2012, 10:22 AM
Joined Oct 2011
884 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
This is late, but I'm surprised no one mentioned the razor knife available at dollar tree. For $1 you get the knife which has 7 break-off blades and a pack of two more break-off strips for a total of 21 blades. Buy two and you can cut foam for a long time.
Good one -- looks fine -- I'll get one. I already went ahead and swapped up to an Irwin ProTouch knife though and a pack of Irwin carbon steel blades. I paid full retail on the knife, about $12-, which is fine since Home Depot gave me exchange without a receipt, plus the staff were genuinely friendly and helpful.

That Irwin knife has really good hand feel: it invites you to grasp it with your back four fingers and ride your forefinger along the side and top for guidance and pressure... It feels like a knife you'd do clean cuts with. In the literature they talk about the "19 degree ergonomic angle".

To be clear I haven't even cracked open the knife and used it -- the way it's packaged though you can try it out as far as hand feel is concerned: if you click on the link above, as of today, October 4, 2012, that same knife is selling at 75% off at Amazon: $3.50 !! I like to know how "real" these flashed discounts are at Amazon, so lemme know if you manage to grab one...
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Last edited by syzygyQ; Oct 04, 2012 at 10:36 AM. Reason: pre-coffee typos
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 04, 2012, 03:49 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Photon crash!

Was flying my photon at my usual park when after a gentle turn I lost all signal to the plane, it just dived into the ground

The only good thing was that I had a camera on board and got some 'interesting' footage.

Photon loses signal and crashes (1 min 40 sec)

Happy to say that the photon is airborne again, just had to make a new nose section of the fuse.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Oct 04, 2012, 05:54 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Was flying my photon at my usual park when after a gentle turn I lost all signal to the plane, it just dived into the ground

The only good thing was that I had a camera on board and got some 'interesting' footage.

Https://vimeo.com/50660530

Happy to say that the photon is airborne again, just had to make a new nose section of the fuse.
Did you ever figure out why you lost signal? I am glad the plane was easy to fix.
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
Old Oct 04, 2012, 06:08 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkebo View Post
Did you ever figure out why you lost signal? I am glad the plane was easy to fix.
The strange thing is that it happened to my Noob at the exact same spot doing the same thing, I just did a gentle turn and suddenly there was no signal at all. The Noob flew into the clubhouse iron barred door and was a write-off!

Two different planes with different receivers lost signal at the same area in the park. This has never happened anywhere else and I've flown the planes a lot further/higher away.

On a happier note, I flew the photon with the onboard camera again today out in the country over some lawn farms and it performed perfectly
Photon with onboard camera flying over some lawn farms. (2 min 46 sec)

I've attached a picture of the Noob after it hit the iron barred door, you can see where the bars have impacted the wing.
Last edited by rcnewbieoz; Oct 04, 2012 at 08:24 PM. Reason: added flight video
Old Oct 04, 2012, 11:00 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Back in the earlier RC days we learned to stay away from big high power transmission lines like seen in you video, all kinds of strange radio glitches when flying around them. Another one we ran onto, we had a TV cable company just off one end of the field, all those big satellite antennas, we learned from experience to avoid that end of the field, I lost my nice scratch built Funster 40 when it got within a couple of hundred yards of the satellite dishes.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 05, 2012, 06:25 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
Back in the earlier RC days we learned to stay away from big high power transmission lines like seen in you video, all kinds of strange radio glitches when flying around them. Another one we ran onto, we had a TV cable company just off one end of the field, all those big satellite antennas, we learned from experience to avoid that end of the field, I lost my nice scratch built Funster 40 when it got within a couple of hundred yards of the satellite dishes.
Nowadays, add Cellphone towers.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:41 AM
United States, AZ, Chino Valley
Joined Feb 2012
326 Posts
Add a few more!

There are also some microwave units running in and near 2.4 that would be like running into a 'radio free tunnel'. there are utility companies that use them on their towers running along the power lines.
justj is offline Find More Posts by justj
Old Oct 05, 2012, 03:45 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
393 Posts
Sewer sinks sailplane!

The sewer "lift station" adjacent to my ex flying site downed two of my models until I figured out that it was communicating via 2.4ghz with the sewer HQ across town.
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:19 PM
MD
Joined Aug 2010
85 Posts
Axon

The Axon is done, hope to maiden next week. It is balanced, but just barely. I had to move both 3.3 batts to the very nose of the plane. Had I mad the lower fuse section a tad bigger the batts would have slid inside the twin hulls. They fit now, but are very tight. I do have the glitch problem with my new 9 gram servos, but it's flyable. What i did not like was the gyro I bought for this plane. It is very glitchy and does not move the control surfaces well. I have the ailerons on a Y harness, but not sure if that is what is causing it. I bought 2 of them and they both do it.
Asymair95 is offline Find More Posts by Asymair95
Old Oct 05, 2012, 08:49 PM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,056 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
The Axon is done, hope to maiden next week. It is balanced, but just barely. I had to move both 3.3 batts to the very nose of the plane. Had I mad the lower fuse section a tad bigger the batts would have slid inside the twin hulls. They fit now, but are very tight. I do have the glitch problem with my new 9 gram servos, but it's flyable. What i did not like was the gyro I bought for this plane. It is very glitchy and does not move the control surfaces well. I have the ailerons on a Y harness, but not sure if that is what is causing it. I bought 2 of them and they both do it.
It's always a good idea to balence the fully loaded fuse on top of the wing to get a good CG location BEFORE installing the wing permanently.
I find that I always need to move it back an inch on the fuse after balancing to compensate for the servos in the wing that are aft of the CG on the wing.
Confused yet?
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Oct 06, 2012, 02:03 AM
Joined Feb 2012
42 Posts
Can anyone help me out? Guess I am not very good at searching these forums but I am trying to find the specs on the Peace Drone and not having any luck. Thanks for any help you can give.
Av8rshane is offline Find More Posts by Av8rshane
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:15 AM
Retired, and working hard at.
Canada, QC, Trois-Rivières
Joined May 2012
24 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
This is late, but I'm surprised no one mentioned the razor knife available at dollar tree. For $1 you get the knife which has 7 break-off blades and a pack of two more break-off strips for a total of 21 blades. Buy two and you can cut foam for a long time.
Been there, done that ( purchasing their cheapo knives I mean) the only problem is that they use a non standard size blade, so when you break them , or run out of snap off sections, you will have to throw it out since there are no replacement blades that will fit. But hey, what's there to loose with a 1$ knife, other then some skin when the low quality blades break when it's least expected.(
stepinwolf is offline Find More Posts by stepinwolf
Old Oct 06, 2012, 06:56 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Can anyone help me out? Guess I am not very good at searching these forums but I am trying to find the specs on the Peace Drone and not having any luck. Thanks for any help you can give.
Go to YouTube and search for experimental airlines peace drone
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:53 AM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Av8rshane View Post
Ed doesn't spell out a lot of dimensions, specs, etc. His planes are centered around the dimensions of the foam board, 20x30, so most everything bases around 30", or multiples of 30, like two 30" wing panels connected to make a 60" wing. Ed encourages experimentation, he mostly provides the building techniques and some inspiration. They are super cheap to build, so build, modify, if it doesn't work, start over and try something different.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 06, 2012, 11:55 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wingman26 View Post
Ed doesn't spell out a lot of dimensions, specs, etc. His planes are centered around the dimensions of the foam board, 20x30, so most everything bases around 30", or multiples of 30, like two 30" wing panels connected to make a 60" wing. Ed encourages experimentation, he mostly provides the building techniques and some inspiration. They are super cheap to build, so build, modify, if it doesn't work, start over and try something different.
Amen, Ed has given me the tools required to build my long dream of a VTOL.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter