HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:10 PM
Ichy to Build and Fly.
United States, FL, Davie
Joined Feb 2011
208 Posts
Hi WIngman

Do you have any good specs on landing gear material and also how to do it well ?

I need to make some for my foamies in that they should not rip out but at the same time not too rigid to break the plane as well...

Any ideas would be great ...

Hey - by the way my Rutan QUickie flew for 2000 feet over the weekend and now it needs further mods to make it final deal.. It was awesome in the field when almost 12 pilots came in with so many ideas to make it fly ...

Thanks,
Mosaic
rnmosaic is offline Find More Posts by rnmosaic
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:19 PM
7AC
Central Indiana
Joined Oct 2006
403 Posts
Boom tube length

Goodkebo, Thanks for the posting.I think I have the overall length as 55 inches. How far is it from the end of the boom under the tail to where it joins the "fuselage" tubes just aft of the wing. Also what is the overlap within the "fuselage" tube? I'm guessing the overall length of the "boom" tube is 30 inches Thanks again!
7AC is offline Find More Posts by 7AC
Old Oct 01, 2012, 03:27 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
672 Posts
Best material for landing gear is music wire from a hobby shop, diameter depends on use and weight of plane, diameter tops out at 1/8", but smaller will work fine on most of these. If a hobby shop isn't easily available, aluminum strap can be found at Home Depot or Lowe's.

I mount the landing gear to lite ply, a small sheet inside and outside the plane, bolts holding them together, I started with just the sheet outside, but that was tearing the bottom of the fuselage up, it needed one inside and one outside to hold up.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:14 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
@ rimshotcopter first thanks im glad you like it, im using a SuperTiger .10 (SUPG8050) its 1250kv a E-flite 30A speed control a E-flite 8x4.5 folding prop from a motor and prop combo a got for $8 at the hobby shop. I turned the props backwards on the spinner to use as a pusher. The battery is a 2200 mah 40c 3s skylipo pack i hope this helps.
Thank you and awesome Job.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 04:31 PM
Canada, AB, Olds
Joined Apr 2011
94 Posts
Landing Gear

The RevJVegas posted this simple landing gear on YouTube. I have used it often and think it is about as simple as it can get:

Simple Landing Gear (4 min 31 sec)
Rob Mackenzie is offline Find More Posts by Rob Mackenzie
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
1 Posts
Dihedral

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldalo View Post
Maiden today. Flew like a dream
Will try to get video up tomorrow.
Best Plane Yet - Landing gear a bust (back to the drawing board )
Great looking plane. Curious to know how you added dihedral to the Armin wing. Did you use a spar and if so what material?
zigadoo is offline Find More Posts by zigadoo
Old Oct 01, 2012, 05:49 PM
Joined Oct 2011
983 Posts
What type of Stanley knife?

I'm at Home Depot right now tonget a Stanley knife to build an Axon.

There's different sizes and types of Stanley knife, utility, fat max, 18mm, 25mm, snap off blades, quadrangular blades, carbon blades for dewalt and olfa that look compatible, etc.

I'm lost, and viewing the videos right now doen't provide enough clarity.

What Stanley knife is "best" for cutting parts for the Axon?

If you can get me a steer on this while I'm still here, that would be great.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:14 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by syzygyQ View Post
I'm at Home Depot right now tonget a Stanley knife to build an Axon.

There's different sizes and types of Stanley knife, utility, fat max, 18mm, 25mm, snap off blades, quadrangular blades, carbon blades for dewalt and olfa that look compatible, etc.

I'm lost, and viewing the videos right now doen't provide enough clarity.

What Stanley knife is "best" for cutting parts for the Axon?

If you can get me a steer on this while I'm still here, that would be great.

Thanks!
i use a #11 x-acto blade but what you use is up to you, what ever your more comphy with.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:17 PM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zigadoo View Post
Great looking plane. Curious to know how you added dihedral to the Armin wing. Did you use a spar and if so what material?
Regular Armin Wings , with part of the Wing cut for center section the width of fuselage. Made 1/8 inch spacer from balsa (width of foam,
3/16) epoxie on very bottom edge, from front to back, but not at over lap of top section. Epoxy 3 sections together
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Old Oct 01, 2012, 06:32 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
35 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
Goodkebo, Thanks for the posting.I think I have the overall length as 55 inches. How far is it from the end of the boom under the tail to where it joins the "fuselage" tubes just aft of the wing. Also what is the overlap within the "fuselage" tube? I'm guessing the overall length of the "boom" tube is 30 inches Thanks again!
1x3 tail boom is 30" 3x3 base is 30" and 2x3 wing support section is 19"

I really had no idea how long to make the wing support section to place wing at correct "balance point". So I used Ed's idea of loading all equipment into plane the balancing fuslage on top of thickest part of wing. What made this tricky here is that method cannot account for weight of engines on wing. It worked out with the trailing edge of wing at 30" from end of tail boom.

I didn't overlap the fuslage tubes, cut at a 45 degree angle, I think I put some foam tabs along the inside of the butt joints for the hot glue to grip.

Hope that helps!
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
Old Oct 02, 2012, 02:00 AM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Fun Tube

Here's the 2nd flight of my plane, my buddy did the maiden
http://youtu.be/QKgKIW-GiMY
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Last edited by aldalo; Oct 02, 2012 at 02:02 AM. Reason: bad link
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:00 AM
Joined Jun 2011
7 Posts
FuglyJet EDF Info

I purchased 64mm AEO from Headsuprc and here are the specs.
AEO 64mm 4300kv EDF Power System

and the DETRUM EDF+40A ESC+4pcs 9g servos+KV4400 brushless motor kit from HobbyPartz

The DETRUM is 1.4 oz heaver than the AEO. I have tried the DETRUM first and it would not fly the FuglyJet so I am trying the AEO next. I will follow up with what I find.
Both are 64mm but the AEO has a larger outside diameter. The DETRUM is 72mm where as the AEO is 78.3mm.
zapdawg is offline Find More Posts by zapdawg
Last edited by zapdawg; Oct 02, 2012 at 09:23 AM.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:55 AM
Joined May 2012
155 Posts
knifes

Hey syzygyQ
Any of these knifes will work fine. What fits your hand good. The snap off blades can be bought cheap and when dull snap off and away go go again. The Exacto knife is also a good choice everyone can use one of these. Have fun
IAFoamie is online now Find More Posts by IAFoamie
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:31 AM
LaGrange, GA
Joined Jun 2009
1,818 Posts
If you're going with a Stanley, I like the one with the "quick change" blades: http://www.homedepot.com/h_d1/N-5yc1...1#.UGr6K7SPUyI

It stores extra blades in the handle and you just push that yellow button, slide your old blade out and slide a new one in, and you don't have to take a screw out of the handle. I use those for heavy work, X-acto's for delicate work and buy the cheap snap-offs from HobbyKing for general cutting around the shop.
JohnsPop is offline Find More Posts by JohnsPop
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:04 PM
Joined Oct 2011
983 Posts
Thanks for the suggestions guys. I bought an 18mm Stanley yesterday, but looking at the stuff I need to cut, it's obvious that the blades are too short. Home Depot advised me on the phone to just swing by and swap for what I need, so I've got that booked for today.

I like the quick change retractable, that looks great for my first couple of builds. If I need to go bigger / different later on, that can wait. And clearly you can't go wrong with X-Actos for fine work. As I've used my existing X-Actos for reaming, tearing, hammering, you name it, they're no longer precison tools, so new X-Actos it must be.

Considering state of the art tools are going to run about $25- for both, it makes sense to start out with pristeen equipment to build an FPV aircraft from scratch.

Thanks!
syzygyQ is offline Find More Posts by syzygyQ