HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:21 PM
United States, ME, Bar Harbor
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 7AC View Post
Goodkebo, Please sign me up, I need a twin like yours! Could you please post some pics or a vid that shows how you fastened the tubes on your twin together. That looks like a great design.
Here are some pics. My friend "Stealth Vader" took the flying pics for me. I have an FPV setup on plane now.

I attached the tubes using 3-M double sticky tape with a bead of hot glue around the edges. I butted the tubes together with a 45 degree scarph joint, hot glue and then duct tape for good measure. Used a 3x3 and 3x2 tubes stacked on top of each other so the props would clear the ground when the plane was sitting upright. I used the 1x3 tube for the tail boom to save weight on the back end of plane for balance. The "UNI -flap" works out pretty well.
goodkebo is offline Find More Posts by goodkebo
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 29, 2012, 04:34 PM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkebo View Post
Here are some pics. My friend "Stealth Vader" took the flying pics for me. I have an FPV setup on plane now.

I attached the tubes using 3-M double sticky tape with a bead of hot glue around the edges. I butted the tubes together with a 45 degree scarph joint, hot glue and then duct tape for good measure. Used a 3x3 and 3x2 tubes stacked on top of each other so the props would clear the ground when the plane was sitting upright. I used the 1x3 tube for the tail boom to save weight on the back end of plane for balance. The "UNI -flap" works out pretty well.
Thatīs a really nice plane love it, can you please give details of your set up? which motors/props, lipos/ESCs thanks.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:28 PM
United States, OH, Eaton
Joined May 2006
1,135 Posts
Is it just me or are all of these planes fairly heavy? I like to build planes in the 12 oz. (340g) range with 200 inē (1290cmē) wing area or so. Is this possible with these techniques?

Chris
chris1379 is offline Find More Posts by chris1379
Old Sep 29, 2012, 06:29 PM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jetcommander View Post
Thatīs a really nice plane love it, can you please give details of your set up? which motors/props, lipos/ESCs thanks.
Thanks for the kind words, here is what I used:

5-9 gram servos
2-30 amp Hurc ESCs
9x6 props
2-HobbyKing Donkey ST3007-1100kv Brushless Motors
carry 2-3s lipos usually 2650, a 2200 and a 1000mAh for the FPV camera
Security Cam 2000 pz0420-N Sony camera
Go Pro Hero
Old Sep 30, 2012, 04:04 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Built the 'Photon'

I had a few pieces of foamboard left and decided to build Ed's 'Photon' motorised glider because it looked big and imposing.

Built it so that the fuse pulls apart into 2 sections and the wings fold using the technique in Ed's videos. It makes it much easier to transport.

Flew it with a 2200mah 3s batter powering a turnigy 2200kv motor.

Maiden flight was a windy day with winds of 24kph+ gusting to 35kph.

The Photon just cruised gently into the wind and I was able to hover it into the headwind for some relaxing flying...thanks for another great plane design Ed!

Here is a video of the maiden flight:
Maiden of the 'Photon' foamcore motorised glider based on the design by experimentalairlines. Wingspan is 1.7m. (3 min 35 sec)
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Sep 30, 2012, 05:44 AM
Joined Jan 2012
285 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the kind words, here is what I used:

5-9 gram servos
2-30 amp Hurc ESCs
9x6 props
2-HobbyKing Donkey ST3007-1100kv Brushless Motors
carry 2-3s lipos usually 2650, a 2200 and a 1000mAh for the FPV camera
Security Cam 2000 pz0420-N Sony camera
Go Pro Hero
Thanks for that very kind.
jetcommander is offline Find More Posts by jetcommander
Old Sep 30, 2012, 07:22 AM
Joined Jun 2011
34 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
I had a few pieces of foamboard left and decided to build Ed's 'Photon' motorised glider because it looked big and imposing.

Built it so that the fuse pulls apart into 2 sections and the wings fold using the technique in Ed's videos. It makes it much easier to transport.

Flew it with a 2200mah 3s batter powering a turnigy 2200kv motor.

Maiden flight was a windy day with winds of 24kph+ gusting to 35kph.

The Photon just cruised gently into the wind and I was able to hover it into the headwind for some relaxing flying...thanks for another great plane design Ed!

Here is a video of the maiden flight:
https://vimeo.com/50463055
Nice flight! Love the long wings. It would be interesting to know the flight times of both Noob and Photon, run off of same sized battery. How much difference do those big wings make?
Old Sep 30, 2012, 06:27 PM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Nice flight! Love the long wings. It would be interesting to know the flight times of both Noob and Photon, run off of same sized battery. How much difference do those big wings make?
Thanks Goodkebo! I flew it again today in near perfect conditions. Wanted to see how long a 2200mah battery would keep the Photon in the air, cruised around at 1/3 to 1/2 throttle and after 17 minutes I got tired and landed!

I tested the flight envelope of the Photon with some loops, rolls and inverted flight and it passed with flying colours. Will upload the video soon.

Flew the Noob as well for a comparison, the Noob is much more 'fun'. Will tack on the Noob footage to the end of the video so you can see the difference.

Here is the footage of the flight:
Putting the Photon through its paces (6 min 56 sec)
Last edited by rcnewbieoz; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:51 AM. Reason: added video
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:13 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
hey guys i got a friend at the field to act as camera man for me and version two of the twin boom. The vert stabs are from a plain someone built or is still being built, he has not updated us in a while on it, if your there hint. the TB 2 features a folding prop and CF reinforcement and working rudders along with decorative stickers.
Twin boom 2 (3 min 30 sec)
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Sep 30, 2012, 11:27 PM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,692 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
hey guys i got a friend at the field to act as camera man for me and version two of the twin boom. The vert stabs are from a plain someone built or is still being built, he has not updated us in a while on it, if your there hint. the TB 2 features a folding prop and CF reinforcement and working rudders along with decorative stickers.
http://youtu.be/vTXynmAZ1XM
Flies really well. Nice job.

Question, could not help hearing the roar of the prop, what motor KV and prop size are you using?

Thank you.
rimshotcopter is online now Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:58 AM
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
http://youtu.be/vTXynmAZ1XM
Nice plane! I think I've just found my next project :-)
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:50 AM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rimshotcopter View Post
Flies really well. Nice job.

Question, could not help hearing the roar of the prop, what motor KV and prop size are you using?

Thank you.
@ rimshotcopter first thanks im glad you like it, im using a SuperTiger .10 (SUPG8050) its 1250kv a E-flite 30A speed control a E-flite 8x4.5 folding prop from a motor and prop combo a got for $8 at the hobby shop. I turned the props backwards on the spinner to use as a pusher. The battery is a 2200 mah 40c 3s skylipo pack i hope this helps.
Last edited by conbones; Oct 01, 2012 at 12:00 PM.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 11:58 AM
AMA# 1004189
Joined Jun 2012
342 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Nice plane! I think I've just found my next project :-)
@rcnewbieoz thanks, I think you will like it too, but when you maiden it be sure to have your high low rates set. The launches can be pretty squarely. and be sure to attach the booms securely to the wing spar, mrwest has a fine solution for doing just that, look him up on youtube.
Old Oct 01, 2012, 01:49 PM
It Flys Me
United States, PA, Washington
Joined Jun 2012
80 Posts
Trainer Maiden

Quote:
Originally Posted by aldalo View Post
Just finished my newest plane , using Ed,s methods.
It's a trainer with about 5 degree dihedral wings.
Fuse is 30" long-5" cord , Wing is 39.5" , Elevator - 15" , Rudder -7.5" /
1.5" throws on all control surfaces.
AUW - 525g - 1300 mah battery
Motor 1000kv (Hope it's enough, I had it laying around)
I hope to maiden it tomorrow. I needed something a little tamer than my
Axon (It's a handful)
Maiden today. Flew like a dream
Will try to get video up tomorrow.
Best Plane Yet - Landing gear a bust (back to the drawing board )
aldalo is offline Find More Posts by aldalo
Last edited by aldalo; Oct 01, 2012 at 01:52 PM. Reason: Add Pics
Old Oct 01, 2012, 02:07 PM
Oklahoma
Joined Aug 2008
670 Posts
Landing gear needs to be wider and mounted further forward. Here's a couple of mine for an example, they don't need to be this high, but it works well.
Wingman26 is offline Find More Posts by Wingman26
Last edited by Wingman26; Oct 01, 2012 at 02:21 PM.