HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:34 AM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
336 Posts
now that i think about it with your computer tx you might not need rudders if you do a twin engine. Especially if you program the throttle of each motor to work with your ailerons.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:13 AM
Quadraholic
Beverly Hills, Florida
Joined Nov 2006
2,044 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by conbones View Post
now that i think about it with your computer tx you might not need rudders if you do a twin engine. Especially if you program the throttle of each motor to work with your ailerons.
Wow, that's something I never thought about or even knew you could do with the radio. I have a 6i and still learning how to use it.
Anyway, this week is busy with shopping and doctors, but the weekend looks like a good time to start on it. Have to do some drawings first.
Thanks man.
G.
Gordosoar is offline Find More Posts by Gordosoar
Old Sep 13, 2012, 05:49 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
Speaking of twin boom aircraft I thought I would post my current build progress.

I'm working on a semi-scale O-2 Skymaster.

I built everything to scale with a few small differences. The booms will not be integral to the main wing, they will actually sit underneath. The wing will sit atop the fuselage, not recessed like the original. Both of these were done to keep construction simple. Here are a few shots of the progress.
This looks amazing so far. That right there is taking it to the next level for sure.
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:01 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Shipping Readi-Board USA to UK and Australia

I took a full, unopened box of 50 sheets of Readi-Board to my shipping place and got some prices to ship from Phoenix, AZ, US to UK and Australia. It's not encouraging so far, but I'm not giving up.

The dimensions: 11"x21"x31" 15lbs

For UK:
untracked standard postal approx. US$150
tracked FexEx/UPS/DHL approx. US$340

For Australia:
standard postal not an option, dimensions too large
tracked FexEx/UPS/DHL approx. US$500

We tried half-stacks, 21x31x6" and they came in at $260 UK and $340 Australia, so no real advantage there.

I inquired about surface shipping. He said it would be a lot cheaper but we would need to put four or more boxes on a pallet and get a quote. It also would entail picking it up at a port, or arranging shipping from the port to the destination. It's something I'm not familiar with, but possibly an option.

In any case, if someone wants to take the dimensions, do some research, and figure out an option I would gladly make the arrangements from my end and just take prepayment via PayPal to buy the foamboard from the Dollar Tree (US$55 per 50 sheets) and do the shipping.

I just know there is a more clever guy out there than me who can figure out how to do this for cheaper than $4 per sheet, which from what I understand would still be a bargain in the UK and Australia for the right kind of foamboard.

Ideas?
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:10 PM
AMA# 1004189
United States, FL, Panama City
Joined Jun 2012
336 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Asymair95 View Post
Speaking of twin boom aircraft I thought I would post my current build progress.

I'm working on a semi-scale O-2 Skymaster.

I built everything to scale with a few small differences. The booms will not be integral to the main wing, they will actually sit underneath. The wing will sit atop the fuselage, not recessed like the original. Both of these were done to keep construction simple. Here are a few shots of the progress.
that is a great looking plane and the tail feathers look awesome. what a great build. looks pretty scale too, thumbs up man.
conbones is offline Find More Posts by conbones
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:25 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Gordosoar View Post
Wow, that's something I never thought about or even knew you could do with the radio. I have a 6i and still learning how to use it.
Anyway, this week is busy with shopping and doctors, but the weekend looks like a good time to start on it. Have to do some drawings first.
Thanks man.
G.
This would be a super-intelligent solution, and let me know if you work out the details. I can kind of conceptualize how you might do it. As a fall-back, these $3 V-tail mixers from HK have always worked 100% for me in my twins, mixing rudder with throttle onboard the aircraft. Sometimes I do also use a rudder (RC-69), sometimes not (Skyvan).

http://www.hobbyking.com/hobbyking/s...idProduct=6321
Old Sep 14, 2012, 06:37 AM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ExperimentalAir View Post
I took a full, unopened box of 50 sheets of Readi-Board to my shipping place and got some prices to ship from Phoenix, AZ, US to UK and Australia. It's not encouraging so far, but I'm not giving up.

The dimensions: 11"x21"x31" 15lbs

For UK:
untracked standard postal approx. US$150
tracked FexEx/UPS/DHL approx. US$340

For Australia:
standard postal not an option, dimensions too large
tracked FexEx/UPS/DHL approx. US$500

We tried half-stacks, 21x31x6" and they came in at $260 UK and $340 Australia, so no real advantage there.

I inquired about surface shipping. He said it would be a lot cheaper but we would need to put four or more boxes on a pallet and get a quote. It also would entail picking it up at a port, or arranging shipping from the port to the destination. It's something I'm not familiar with, but possibly an option.

In any case, if someone wants to take the dimensions, do some research, and figure out an option I would gladly make the arrangements from my end and just take prepayment via PayPal to buy the foamboard from the Dollar Tree (US$55 per 50 sheets) and do the shipping.

I just know there is a more clever guy out there than me who can figure out how to do this for cheaper than $4 per sheet, which from what I understand would still be a bargain in the UK and Australia for the right kind of foamboard.

Ideas?
Draftex corporation in Gladesville NSW Australia sell A1 size foam boards for $55 for a box of 10. Website is www.draftex.com.au.

Only problem is the paper will not peel off easily (or at all!).
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:16 AM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Shipping Readi-Board USA to UK and Australia

I looked into "excess baggage" shipping, which is door-to-door, and usually used for travelers but it looks like they will send anything.

An online quote from one service for a box of 50 sheets of Readi-Board this was about US$260 to Sydney and US$220 to London. So that's beginning to be in the competitive range of $5-6 per sheet. I didn't do any shopping around but it probably would pay off.

Help me out with more ideas.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:03 PM
Fly-by-nite operator
Australia, VIC, Melbourne
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
I looked into "excess baggage" shipping, which is door-to-door, and usually used for travelers but it looks like they will send anything.

An online quote from one service for a box of 50 sheets of Readi-Board this was about US$260 to Sydney and US$220 to London. So that's beginning to be in the competitive range of $5-6 per sheet. I didn't do any shopping around but it probably would pay off.

Thanks for all the legwork Ed!

I will do some googling also and see what I can find. My previous attempts showed USPS standard mail to be the cheapest option so it is really a shame they won't send something that size.
harmic is offline Find More Posts by harmic
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:08 PM
Fly-by-nite operator
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rcnewbieoz View Post
Draftex corporation in Gladesville NSW Australia sell A1 size foam boards for $55 for a box of 10. Website is www.draftex.com.au.

Only problem is the paper will not peel off easily (or at all!).
Thanks! Somehow I had never seen these guys.

Have you had much success building with their foam? Being unable to remove the paper seems like quite a problem, since you need to in order to form armin wings etc.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:34 PM
Fly-by-nite operator
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Quote:

These guys could be an option: http://www.myus.com/
They are one of these freight forwarding companies designed to allow non-US residents to order online from companies that will not ship outside the US. They give you a US address, anything sent to you at that address gets forwarded to your real address.

I checked on their rate estimator using the following dimensions which I got from a previous post on this thread:

10.25 x 30.25 x 10.75 @ 12 lbs

It came out at $182 via DHL. Is that weight correct?

There are two catches:
1. You have to sign up for $20. No biggie.
2. We'd first of all have to send the boards to the US address of this company which is in Sarasota, FL. So there would be additional costs there.

I'll keep searching and see what else I can find.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:59 PM
Fly-by-nite operator
Joined May 2012
17 Posts
Here is another even cheaper one: http://www.shipito.com/

They have a few different US wharehouses. They seem to offer a lot more shipping options. Using the wharehouse in Torrance CA the cheapest option was TNT Economy at an amazing $97 (4-6 days delivery).

So I guess the question is, how much would it cost to get a box of foamboards sent to one of their wharehouses?

It's really a shame DollarTree or RL Adams wouldn't just send it directly to one of these wharehouses, that would really make it easy.
Old Sep 14, 2012, 07:57 PM
Joined Sep 2011
456 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by harmic View Post
Here is another even cheaper one: http://www.shipito.com/

They have a few different US wharehouses. They seem to offer a lot more shipping options. Using the wharehouse in Torrance CA the cheapest option was TNT Economy at an amazing $97 (4-6 days delivery).

So I guess the question is, how much would it cost to get a box of foamboards sent to one of their wharehouses?

It's really a shame DollarTree or RL Adams wouldn't just send it directly to one of these wharehouses, that would really make it easy.
$100! That would do it. Torrance is nearby the Port of Los Angeles. Surely we can come up with a scratchbuilder in LA who would buy a box of Readi-Board for $55 and swing it by the warehouse to ship. Phoenix is about 6 hours from LA or I would do it myself.

RL Adams will sell truckload quantities of Readi-Board, but who's got $20,000 laying around for foamboard?

There is a Dollar Tree 3.3 miles from Shipito.com.

https://maps.google.com/maps?saddr=2...=14&via=1&z=14

LA homies - y'all out there for us? Experimental Airlines will put in a $20 spot for the cause!

PS: a box of 50 is 15 lbs, 11"x21"x31"
Last edited by ExperimentalAir; Sep 14, 2012 at 08:08 PM.
Old Sep 16, 2012, 10:50 PM
United States, SC, Irmo
Joined Mar 2012
2,428 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by goodkebo View Post
Flew well once I got it balanced out! I actually started to build this for the First ExperimentalAirline build contest and just got it done. LOL. Too busy at work!
Just trying to figure out esc/motor issue, when I go to full power, motors make a shreeking sound and shut down, you can see/hear it several times in the video. Any motor gurus out there know the cause?

http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=JD_wtRrKLaQ
I had that problem on a plane I had built and it turned out to be prop size. I had a 11x7 on it and when I switched to a 10x7 it stopped. Too much prop was my problem. How do you do the twin motors and esc's? Hook up I mean. Do you use a Y cable to connect them to the RX?

Tom
carr52 is offline Find More Posts by carr52
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 16, 2012, 11:25 PM
Fan of experimetalairlines
Australia, NSW, Sydney
Joined Jan 2012
200 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by carr52 View Post
I had that problem on a plane I had built and it turned out to be prop size. I had a 11x7 on it and when I switched to a 10x7 it stopped. Too much prop was my problem. How do you do the twin motors and esc's? Hook up I mean. Do you use a Y cable to connect them to the RX?

Tom
Same here, when I had the 8x6 prop on, it screeched and stopped, went to 8x4 and it is now fine at wot.
rcnewbieoz is offline Find More Posts by rcnewbieoz