HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by ExperimentalAir, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 02:32 PM
Ed @ Experimental Airlines
United States, AZ, Phoenix
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Mini-HowTo
Foamboard Scratchbuild University

I have produced a series of 30+ how-to videos detailing some of the construction techniques I've found useful in working with "Dollar Tree Foamboard" (actually Readi-Board by RL Adams Plastics).

The goal of this technique is to create a construction system using foamboard, hot glue, packing tape, and plastic gift cards that easily produces modular components for scratchbuilt foamboard aircraft. These modules can be combined in a variety of ways to suit the needs of the builder. In their basic state the components are very simple, durable, and utilitarian, with all straight 90-degree cuts. No plans are needed. The builder has the ability to modify this design to their liking. The techniques are intended to be easily mastered by new scratchbuilders and hopefully also useful to some more experienced builders.

The three main modules are:

1. a true, cambered airfoil wing, easy to make and join sections as needed
2. a one-piece tubular fuselage, also joinable for additional length
3. a simple unitary vertical and horizontal stabilizer assembly

Additional information on motor mounts, finishing edges, etc. is also posted.

After having compiled these videos I will begin to post more designs that have been constructed with the system. Currently I have made 10 different aircraft designs from 30" to 90" wingspan, from a little chucker EDF to an FPV pusher canard.

I hope this information can be useful to other builders and I would be very eager to see your designs posted on this thread.

Peace,
Ed

SOURCES:

Foamboard (XPS extruded polystyrene, must have thin paper facing, easily peeled):
US & Canada - "Readi-Board" from Dollar Tree Stores
Australia - from Riot Art, foamboards.au
Europe - "KAPA line " by 3A Composites. May require application of mild heat to separate paper.
UK - search eBay UK for seller: bargainartistshop, A1 5mm art board or foamboard

Packing Tape (aka "sealing tape", "carton tape") (also search RCGroups forums)
US - http://www.tapebrothers.com/Colored-...apes-s/218.htm,
http://www.fast-pack.com/colored_tape.html,
http://www.packagingtapedepot.com/colored-tapes.html

EXAMPLE PLANES

SYNAPSE - Flying Wing with detachable fuselage pod

SYNAPSE Foamboard Flying Wing - Intro Video (10 min 9 sec)

PHOTON - Motorglider

PHOTON Motorglider - Flight Video (7 min 38 sec)

AXON - Trainer/Light FPV

AXON Foamboard Trainer and Light FPV Platform (10 min 0 sec)

NOOB TUBE - Easybuild Funflyer

NOOB TUBE Foamboard Fun Flyer (13 min 31 sec)

FUGLYJET - EDF

FUGLYJET EDF Scratchbuilt Foamie (4 min 30 sec)

WING

This is the whole process start to finish with links in the video to other more detailed videos along the way:
(note: the original individual wing videos are accessible from within this video or from my YouTube channnel)

ARMIN WING CONSTRUCTION: start-to-finish process with links to detail videos (19 min 56 sec)

This is the very basic version, mostly for conceptualizing the folding and forming technique:

Easy Foamboard Wing Airfoil: the Basic Version (8 min 1 sec)

FUSELAGE TUBE

Foamboard Building Techniques: Fuselage Tubes (14 min 55 sec)

BENDING DEPRON AND UK FOAMBOARD by Wayne's RC

RC UK FOAM BOARD BENDING AND DEPRON (12 min 26 sec)

STABILIZERS (Horizontal and Vertical, with Control Surfaces)

Foamboard Building Techniques: Stabilizers #1 - Leading & Trailing Edges (15 min 16 sec)

Foamboard Building Techniques: Stabilizers 2 - Control Surface Hinges (9 min 12 sec)

Foamboard Building Techniques: Stabilizers 3 - Assembly (7 min 36 sec)

Foamboard Building Techniques: Stabilizers 4 - Servo Installation (4 min 34 sec)

Foamboard Building Techniques: Stabilizers 5 - Control Horns & Pushrods (9 min 58 sec)

MOTOR MOUNTS

Foamboard Building Techniques: Metal Motor Mounts (8 min 23 sec)

HATCHES

Foamboard Building Techniques: Hatches (17 min 16 sec)
ExperimentalAir is offline Find More Posts by ExperimentalAir
Last edited by ExperimentalAir; Feb 28, 2013 at 05:55 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:31 PM
Winter Haven FL
Joined Dec 2003
508 Posts
Great Videos. I have used your wing building technique on a few planes. Thanks!!.
Byrdman is offline Find More Posts by Byrdman
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:32 PM
"Fly, yes... Land, No"
United States, CA, Santa Cruz
Joined May 2005
1,311 Posts
Very nice videos. i've watched most of the ones on the wing building.

I also use a lot of the Readi-Board for my planes. One thing that concerns me though is that you leave the paper on. The last few times I've gotten Readi-Board, it seems that they have changed the glue they use from a year ago, and it is now very easy for it to peel off. It dose add a good deal of regidity to the foam, I worry that the newer stuff may come apart in flight, especially if the plane lands on some wet grass.

Im not sure about what tape you use, but I've never had an issue with tape sticking right to the foam directly.

Very nice videos. Ill have to make time to watch more of them.
OutcastZeroOne is offline Find More Posts by OutcastZeroOne
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:54 PM
treefinder
SE MI
Joined Oct 2004
9,190 Posts
OZO: Readiboard has no glue holding the paper on, never has. It's just heat set to the heated foam in the final stage of their process. That's why there is variability in adhesion. But basically, the paper will eventually come off the old or the new stuff. (not really old or new, but just process variation. we all have to remember that just like fff, this material isn't "built" for us, but rather for garage sale posters or kids making posters for the local science fair where long term adhesion isn't an issue) If one lives in Phoenix, one might get away with paper on, but I'll guarantee that here in MI, we won't!
springer is online now Find More Posts by springer
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 03, 2012, 06:13 PM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
He also covers the foam in tape, so it's not much of a concern.

Fantastic videos btw.
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:29 PM
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Ironically getting the foamboard wet is a large consideration in Arizona, especially in the summer when we fly in the morning. All the grass out here is sprinkler irrigated.....in the morning of course. I've found ways to diligently tape and seal up susceptible areas so peeling doesn't occur. Leaving the paper on in some areas is necessary for forming and for strength otherwise I would take it all off. Covering with packing tape seems to give a nice balance of strong and water resistant.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:23 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,283 Posts
Hi Ed,
Great new videos -
Concerning the motor mounts, what are the largest motors you've used the L shaped mounts on? The motor weight would zero it in for me.

I always learn some new tricks watching your videos - tonight it was the magnet on the screwdriver trick.

Thanks for taking the time to prepare and post the videos.

hoppy

PS - Ref your IR testing. Bought 9,20W halogen lamps and 5 switches to make a variable load - now if I could only remember how you set your system up.

hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Oh hey, nice to hear from you hoppy. Glad you're liking them.

The motor mounts I've pushed to the 100g motor size, about 500 watts, and I wouldn't feel comfortable going beyond that without a reinforcement. The 1mm titanium flexes about 10 degrees on full throttle on the ground. It flexes up (so downthrust) which may be better than the other way around, but I still don't think I'd push it. 250 watt and down shows minimal flex.

Sorry about the IR testing thing. Remaking that video is on my list. Essentially just hook up all the bulbs in parallel, individually switched if you desire, and hook that up on the load side of your wattmeter, just as you would a motor, and fire it up.
Old Feb 04, 2012, 10:54 AM
Joined Sep 2010
8 Posts
Ed,
I'm loving making wings with your technique. Been stocking up on foam board. Today I tried blue fan fold. Didn't work out so good. If you don't have tape along the leading edge it will split when you bend it. Also I found I have to be more patient to allow the hot melt glue to harden between steps.
I think I'll just stay with the Dollar store foam.
Thanks,
Gordie
gn519 is offline Find More Posts by gn519
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:27 PM
Space Coast USA
Space Coast
Joined Oct 2000
20,283 Posts
Hi again Ed, I've recommended this thread be made into a sticky. It is by far the best "how to" foam building thread I've seen and needs to be up where it will be of continuing value. Hope you agree with me. If you do, request that in the "Report" box on OP.

(And I don't want to go hunting for it when I need to see it.)
hoppy
hoppy is offline Find More Posts by hoppy
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:31 PM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Wooho you made the hatches episode ...

Now we need to see an update on all the planes you made in the meantime
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:08 AM
Total Noob
United States, CA, Yucaipa
Joined Nov 2008
542 Posts
Almost done watching all of them, just a few left. Man, so many wonderful techniques! This has to be stickied, definitely!
bkboggy is offline Find More Posts by bkboggy
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:06 AM
Joined Sep 2011
455 Posts
Thanks y'all, sticky has been requested.

Yeah, Dollar Tree foam seems to be the best by far for using this particular build technique.

Sorry to be a little vague on the magnets-for-hatches episode, but it really takes some voodoo to get 'em to go in right. I'm still working on that myself.

As soon as I can get a reliable videographer I would really like to include more flying videos. That's my main limitation. I have no shortage of planes in the hangar.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:37 AM
Joined Sep 2010
2,383 Posts
Or you can strap the gopro to your head
msev is offline Find More Posts by msev
Old Feb 05, 2012, 08:52 AM
Out the Window
North Central Florida
Joined Jul 2004
1,241 Posts
Thanks ExperimentalAir for taking the time to make all of the videos. I know it is a lot of work!

I also put in a request to make this a sticky. It has a lot of information for beginner or more experienced builder.

Thanks again,
Ray
High Flyin' is online now Find More Posts by High Flyin'