Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:06 PM
Joined Sep 2007
123 Posts
Discussion
EDOMODEL F4 Phantom

hello

E-domodel F4 Phantom (1 min 46 sec)

i will fly my new edomodel f4 phantom.
so far i flew only prop planes (parkzone corsair).
what I must note when i fly the f4?
(i will handlaunch it).

can i fly this bird ? or is it to difficult?

regards gerald
Gerald K is offline Find More Posts by Gerald K
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:36 PM
It wasn't me...
Trabuco Canyon, CA
Joined Nov 2000
4,571 Posts
Do you see how this F-4 is being flown in the video?

Don't fly yours like that modeler flew his. He horsed his off the ground which is a sure recipe for disaster. Do you see how he was turning the jet? Don't fly yours like that. It's a jet, not a pylon racer. Did you see how he slowed the jet down on landing and bounced it off the nose gear? Don't fly yours like that. You need to keep a little bit of speed so it doesn't stall too soon.

Apply power and let the model build up speed. As it accelerates, apply gentle back pressure to the elevator stick. The nose gear should come off the ground slightly. Let the model continue to accelerate in this attitude. When the model is ready, it will fly itself off the ground.

Fly smooth gentle turns. Remember that with a prop airplane the tail feathers are more effective because of the prop wash. Jets don't have this prop wash so you must keep enough speed so they remain effective.

When you're ready to land, slow the model down and keep a level attitude. Control the rate of descent with the power, not the elevator. When the model is even with the horizon, reduce power to idle. As the model nears the ground raise the nose to slow it down and touch down on the mains. Hold the nose gear off the ground with the elevator to use aerodynamic braking. When the model is slow enough the nose gear will come down on its own.

Easy, right?

One more thing. If you're going to hand-launch it make sure to have someone video tape the flight and then post it here so we can all enjoy your attempt. Personally, I wouldn't hand launch a jet like this.

Dan
DanSavage is offline Find More Posts by DanSavage
Last edited by DanSavage; Feb 03, 2012 at 04:49 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:54 PM
Joined Sep 2007
123 Posts
hello dan
thank you for answers.
i must handlaunch, my f4 had no weels and i have only a grass runway

is the cg point with 88-98 mm ok?
how many expo should i give and how many rudder setting?

regards gerald
Gerald K is offline Find More Posts by Gerald K
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:01 PM
AKA Terry Till
Alexandria, VA
Joined Apr 2002
1,538 Posts
Gerald,
read through these threads before you fly:
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=edo
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...&highlight=f+4
Start with the c.g at the front edge of the aileron servo pockets. Unless you cant the nozzles down like I did, have a buddy launch for the maiden as it might go straight up first launch.
There are a few other threads in the foamy edf section. Do a search.
I still fly my F-4 and it does very well for what it is.

Terry
ex-racr is offline Find More Posts by ex-racr
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:48 PM
Bypass Ratio = Infinity
United States, NC, Jacksonville
Joined Apr 2006
1,653 Posts
I had an EDO F-4 for a while until the ESC decided to take itself out. It was a true flying plane with no bad habits that went where I pointed it. I don’t know if I would say it was easy to fly, but it certainly would not be difficult for someone with decent RC experience. I only took mine off from the ground though.

Be careful with the hand launch on 3s. 3s flew the plane but it was no rocket ship.
scatsob is offline Find More Posts by scatsob
Old Mar 18, 2012, 05:08 AM
No Guts, No Glory
Nederland, LI, Helden
Joined Sep 2010
581 Posts
other edomodel thread

Hi

look also http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...882142&page=16

grts Hans
and on 3s she flies great just be shure to have enoug C's for yours LIPO
timmybeetle is offline Find More Posts by timmybeetle