HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:55 AM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Discussion
20cc / 30cc airplane recommendations

I am currently flying a Phoenix Extra 60-90 with a DLE20. Its an ageing airframe and I will need to replace it soon. I have the following list of airplanes and issues with them. Please suggest the way forward

Goldwing MX2 30cc: Its a bit fragile and 30cc
AW Yak QB 120: It expensive and they tell me its got quality issues
AW Extra 300S: Again its expensive and its the same size as my current Extra so will have the same weight issues (Mine is 4kg instead of 3.2 to 3.6kg recommended)
PilotRC Sbach 342 30cc: Its madly expensive and its 30cc
GP Reactor Bipe: Though its 60 size, it figures in the list because it actually has more wing area than all the others. But seriously, isint it to small?

I dont want to open my OS GT33 just yet, are there any other 20cc airplanes you can suggest?

Ameya_m
ameya_m is offline Find More Posts by ameya_m
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 04, 2012, 11:42 AM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Anone?
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:01 PM
Need to Fly...
USA, TX, Lewisville
Joined Jul 2008
18 Posts
I have the Reactor Bipe with a DLE 20 in it and it is great. The plane came in at just under 8lbs and with a Xoar 17x6 it is making almost 14lbs of thrust. It did take a little work to make it work well but it flys great. I am very happy with it.
e30guy is offline Find More Posts by e30guy
Old Feb 06, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Apr 2004
76 Posts
My 30cc MXS-R converted to electric. EG from RedAero.

N726AC is offline Find More Posts by N726AC
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:14 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
I have the gold wing mx2 with a DLE 30 on it.
I fiberglassed/laminated the landing gear block area, but it is still very fragile to handle.
Now in the air this plane is a whole another story. It is very strong but super light weight and
3D's so very easy.
walls,waterfalls,knife edge spins, flat spins are all a things of ease. With the DLE 30 on the nose the power is insane to say the least as she will lock into a hover at 1/4 throttle.
She does like to land alittle hot and a touch of throttle because of the large prop acting as an airbrake.
Stalls are pretty much on the nose rather than a wing tip due to the low wing loading.
She weighs 10 lbs 4 ozs.
The 2 things I love to do with this plane is, the stall turn and the inverted flatspin. They are so flat and she is so floaty while doing them.
kerwin50 is offline Find More Posts by kerwin50
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:35 AM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Was wondering whether I should put a DLE20 on the MX2 rather than my OS GT33 for now. I am prone to reinforcing everything and its almost granted that I will be fibreglassing the firewall, adding wood to the frame and everywhere. Still I think it will remain about 10lb. Since the DLE20 has 14lb static thrust, I shouldnt have too many problems I feel. I dont like hovering too close to the ground anyway. What do you say?

Ameya_m
Old Feb 08, 2012, 05:16 AM
United States, NH, Dover
Joined Aug 2009
187 Posts
a buddy of mine had the 25% pilotRC sbach. he said it didn't fly very well.
sbachs do look beautiful, but I haven't come across many that actually perform as good as they look.
I'm flying the 26% yak 54 from Pilot and its great. nice solid airframe.
antihero138 is offline Find More Posts by antihero138
Old Feb 08, 2012, 07:54 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
the biggest area that I reccommend to re enforce is your landing gear block formers. I fiberglassed and 1/16 plywood laminated it. As this is the weak spot on the MX
After doing this it has give my undercarriage alot more strength.

Depending on your flying style with the DLE 20 you are going to have to move alot of stuff forward.
With my DLE 30 and balancing mine in front of the wing tube. I went with 1 elev servo in the rear. I put the Ing batt and the throttle servo in the motor box.
With the Insane power of the DLE 30 on mine I can say that yes I believe a DLE 20 will fly this plane in a sport fashion.
Properly done this plane can be built under 10 lbs./
Please keep us posted as I'm now looking at a GW 68 inch yak. It has an OS 120 on it for the moment and it flys very scale, but am hoping a DLE 20 will give alittle more hump than the 120
Old Feb 08, 2012, 10:49 AM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
599 Posts
Get a profile kit from WrongWayRC or Swanys House, build it and you will have a superior flying toy to any of those in your list. I have multiple kits from both sites and am very pleased with them. My most recent build is a Swany's House Mojo 65 with DLE-20. Shortly I will be receiving a 30cc LamYak from WWRC that will get a DLE-30 in its pointy end. Look for videos of their toys on YouTube... search for LamYak, Slide, Mojo and Primo. Find more information about profile (and other fun fly) toys on The Profile Brotherhood.

Fly safe, Glover

PS A couple of other DLE-20 use options are the OMP Fusion and the BalsaPro Sbach. YouTube videos for these are at
OMP Fusion 67" (4 min 53 sec)
and at
Colton Flys Clay's Sbach 65 DLE20 (7 min 10 sec)
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
Last edited by glover; Feb 08, 2012 at 07:06 PM. Reason: Include Fusion and Sbach info
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:25 PM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
I dont want to take a profile. The one I am looking at is the 74" Goldwing MXS-R instead. Basically, I need to select between the 26cc Edge, 30cc MXS-R, 30cc Sbach 300 and 30cc Extra 300LP all from Goldwing / Redwing. Though I am tryong to get a Aeroworks 30cc extra, that may be just too expensive

Ameyam
Old Feb 08, 2012, 08:56 PM
Toy Flyer
Flying Field, Work Bench
Joined Mar 2004
599 Posts
Look luck with your choice. But remember with 3D, a major consideration is wing loading; and none of the toys you are considering will come close to matching the wing loading of the toys I have suggested. Profile toys may not pretty, but wow do they have performance potential. I have some "fattie" toys, but none of them have the 3D capability of my profile toys. In my opinion, you have to get much bigger than a DLE-20 before a fattie arf can compete with a profile kit. With electric power, then that is another subject.

Fly safe, Glover
glover is offline Find More Posts by glover
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:49 PM
Joined Sep 2009
133 Posts
The 73 inch pilot range with a dle 20 will be boring, they weigh about 12 pounds all up with a dle 30, good luck finding something to remove on that air frame to reduce weight, they are big planes built super light. I have the 26% yak
raydar is offline Find More Posts by raydar
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:24 AM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
I am in a quandry in that I have a DLE20 working and there seem to be no airplanes that can take it. When I was in glow, there were no 60-90 airplanes and now in gas there are few 20cc airplanes. Its frustrating...

I want the airplane to do some classic pattern flying, not just 3D. Problem with the profiles, atleast some of them, is that they can do 3d flip-flop but not the classic maneuvers. Thats why I shy away from them. Right now, I am not all-out 3d and I still want the satisfaction of flying pattern moves

Thats why I am thinking of the Goldwing MXS-R. From the Redwing build video I got the impression that its got more wood than the MX2 or Sbach, so would be a better build.

I was compromising of the airplane because I needed something around 60" in length so it would be easy to transport. But my buddy corrected me- he said that I shouldnt restrict my airplane because of that otherwise when I get my own vehicle (which is sortly), I will regret compromising on the airplane. He is the guy who gives me a lift to the field, by the way. He was of the opinion that I should get the better airplane and then we would see how they fit in. We are going to do a test fit in his car on Saturday

Any opinions suggestions regarding the Goldwing MXS-R?

Ameyam
Old Feb 09, 2012, 06:45 AM
winston mo
Joined Oct 2006
7,524 Posts
More weight for that DLE 20.
The aeroworks planes are real lumber wagons and don't 3D well let alone put an underpowered small motor on it.
For the very best fit for the DLE 20 is 3DHS's velox.
http://www.3dhobbyshop.com/68-Velox--Blue_p_15303.html
Old Feb 09, 2012, 09:18 AM
Joined Sep 2007
17 Posts
Cant get 3DHS to India. They dont ship here

Ameya_m