HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:22 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,062 Posts
Love how that thing pieces together Rich! Very nice build.
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 04, 2012, 10:33 AM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Hi Rich,

Will you be publishing PDF's of the Firefly? Looks a tad easier to fly than the the SPYRO. My SPYRO is begining to look the worse for wear so could do with reprieve until my flying skills improve!

Cheers, Richard
beltec is offline Find More Posts by beltec
Old Apr 04, 2012, 11:26 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Joe,
Yes its going together OK at the moment, but I am not holding my breath

Richard,
PM sent

Made up the top front decking hatch from soft 6mm balsa sheet and roughly sanded it. It has a 3mm lite ply lug at the front which tucks under about a 20mm wide piece of 6mm thick balsa glued to the front up against F1. A single screw at the rear into a small ply plate finishes the hatch mounting off. To reinforce the screw hole I have used one of those plastic bushes you get with props, the small one that we never seem to use! Probably a better idea using a magnet because now I will have to carry around a screw driver at the field.
All that is needed regarding the fuselage now is just an overall sanding then wrapping it in some covering. Good thing with this model is I get to use up the scrap bits of covering left over from other builds...tight arse? most certainly

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 04, 2012, 12:45 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Added the 0.8mm (1/32") Fibre Glass reinforcement strips at the top of the mast, this makes the thickness of the mast a perfect fit for the HK head assembly. They are angles off at the bottom, you can't see it but the opposite side is opposing so as not to create a shear point.
Below these the mast is sheeted each side with 1/32" balsa sheet but only as far as the top of the fuselage joint.

Rich
Old Apr 04, 2012, 03:47 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Not tight frugal. Aren't we all !! Another sweet looker. With gas over $4.00 a gal. we have to save some how. with this one we may be able to fly in the back yard instead of traveling all the way to the field.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 04:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
With gas over $4.00 a gal. we have to save some how. with this one we may be able to fly in the back yard instead of traveling all the way to the field.

Bill
Sorry Bill, you won't get any sympathy with your excessively cheap fuel prices over there. We are paying the equivalent of $8.96 a gallon ($10.76 a UK gall.) You'll have to play your violin some place else.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:29 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Oh Baby !!!! well shut my mouth. How is that possible with you chaps so close to the North sea oil platforms, time for a rebellion.
Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 04, 2012, 05:37 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Bill,
Exactly mate!!...they are all lining their own pockets

I see no reason why you couldn't fly something of this size and weight on your front? that lawn of yours is huge!!you could even take off down the road
I am still scratching my head about your CF, the power seemed fine when you took it off then just seemed to die off. Electrics!! they are great when they work but frustrating when things don't quite go to plan

Rich
Old Apr 04, 2012, 06:23 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Oh Baby !!!! well shut my mouth. How is that possible with you chaps so close to the North sea oil platforms, time for a rebellion.
Bill
Most of the pump price is tax, but North Sea oil does not help any more as production is declining at more than 17% a year now. Gone are the days of cheap oil, and China is happy to pay $125 a barrel while they increase their reserves. Meanwhile the US and UK is selling off theirs to keep the price down. Doh! Is there an election sometime soon?
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Apr 04, 2012, 09:25 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
530 Posts
hi

rich that gyro is sharp nice build thread to two thumbs up jeff t
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Apr 05, 2012, 06:26 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Cheers Jeff

Managed to clad it in some solarfilm last night with a few cheques etc thrown on for good measure. Opposing colours were added to each tailplane fin, these should help my tiring eyes with orientation when and if it takes to the air.
Time to start throwing in the electrics then make up a set of blades and alter the HK head a tad.

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 05, 2012, 10:42 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Made up a balsa mould and shrunk a pop bottle onto to make a basic cowl as I felt it looked a touch bare.
Not fitted the spats but just playing with the idea, what do you think?....boots on or off??

From my own experience I have always found spats help a bit with orientation, it may also give it more appeal but will never take the fact away its just a pod and boom model.

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:02 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,199 Posts
Wheel pants do dress it up, looking sweet.
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:06 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,844 Posts
Cheers Bill,
Just need to figure a way to attach them

Rich
Old Apr 05, 2012, 11:28 AM