HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 29, 2012, 04:30 PM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
378 Posts
Rich, I too would like a set if thats ok but you must allow us to cover the cost.

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:06 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,181 Posts
Is that a pile of blades I see in that picture plans would be nice

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 05:15 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Rich, sent u pm.

Quote:
I have also cut out the parts for 2 standard Fire Fly II's, purely to flog on.
Is that the complete Fire Flys to flog on, or the parts? Are they already allocated? You can guess where this is going....
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Last edited by Lazygit; Mar 29, 2012 at 05:23 PM.
Old Mar 29, 2012, 09:40 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
will

no plans for me lol
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Mar 30, 2012, 07:50 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,715 Posts
I was thinking that the petrol was steep in OZ but on conversion its only about 96p UK a litre.
Chris......
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Apr 02, 2012, 08:52 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Chris,
I remember when I first passed my driving test, I had a mini and for at least 2 years I was unable to get 10 worth of petrol in it! I bet its triple that now and there is absolutely nothing we can do about it

Right you lot!! and you know who you are!!! getting together with your little plan! Now I have sneaky feeling Bill was the ring leader amongst you Gyronuts? but I do appreciate what you did Saturday

What you have is a plan of the 'Fire Fly II', this is only about 80% completed and has never been tried. In my head it fits together, in reality does it? The prototype flies extremely well and I am sure Bill with second me on that?
Well I just don't want to have egg on my face so I will crack on and build the MKII version. I will take plenty of photos and if there is anything that doesn't fit I will redraw that part and send you all a PDF. I will also post the set up so that things should go trouble free (with autogyros!!...LOL)
For laziness the HK head will be used with the triangular plate shown in this thread.
If there is any info that is needed just ask?

So about an hours cutting and I have most of the fuselage bits and pieces, medium to soft balsa is used for the base and fuz sides (6mm and the lighter the better). The spruce spine could be made up of 6mm x 6mm square just glued on top of each other, I have just used 1/4 x 1/2" and made a cut out as you will see). Or if you can get it use ramin as it is lighter!
I will spend this afternoon building as I am free to so there will be more photos on the way as I go along.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Apr 02, 2012, 09:38 AM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
584 Posts
"Right you lot!! and you know who you are!!! getting together with your little plan! Now I have sneaky feeling Bill was the ring leader amongst you Gyronuts? but I do appreciate what you did Saturday"

Sounds like a conspiracy.......don't tell him who it was Pike!!!
Dad's Army - Don't Tell Him Pike (1 min 48 sec)

Firefly flies great....looking forward to the Mk 2. Bill
gyronuts is offline Find More Posts by gyronuts
Last edited by gyronuts; Apr 02, 2012 at 10:02 AM.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:18 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
LOL!! Classic.

Made up the centre spine first, really nothing too it. B1 is glued to the top rear, this has the rearward tilt of the mast pre set into it.Then it is faced one side with B2 which is made from 3mm balsa(grain running vertical). Using the spruce mast the small triangle is positioned (B3) so the mast will be a nice interference fit. Its then faced the other side with B2.
Top and bottom are sanded square, on the bottom rear face there is a groove, this will be for the boom tube to locate into.
On reflection there is no reason why lightening holes couldn't be added to the bit I have shown.

First alteration is to add 2 pieces of 2mm birch ply around where the servo screws will bite into. Servos have been trail fitted and screw centre holes drilled as it will be pretty hard to do this once the former is fitted!

Rich
Old Apr 02, 2012, 10:23 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Forgot the F3 photo with the ply added, the holes at the bottom are just for the servo leads to run through into the receiver area.
Old Apr 02, 2012, 11:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
This is all 'real time' LOL.

Completed spine is now glued to the fuselage bottom along with the formers bar for the front end. The fuselage sides were left 'as is' at the rear whilst I made up the F1 laminates. This is where no2 balls up has been made, I have had to trim the bottom of this former by 6mm to get the correct fit but no big deal. I think when drawing I missed the thickness of the fuselage bottom.

This will be glued into position and I will now go and create some balsa dust and chamfer off the edges of the fuselage sides.

Rich
Old Apr 02, 2012, 12:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
I have chamfered off the tops of the fuselage sides so that they match the angles on the formers. Soft 6mm balsa was then added to each side and a quick dab on the belt sander had to over hangs flattened off. The top from front to back was them sanded flat to match the curve from the front to the back.
The top rear decking has also been glued into position but first I cut out a rectangle to match the mast section. This was used as a locator and pulled away quickly before the CA went off.
UC has been bent up and will locate in the front former, not my idea here but Tom Wright's, simple but very effective I thought.
F1 was positioned but not glued and I drew around it with a pen, a soft balsa block was added to the underside of the nose. Then 3 soft 6mm balsa lengths were added, first the centre one then the curving side ones ech side. This will all be sanded to a rounded shape. Rudder servo is mounted on the underside so will have a go at that next.
Dark clouds are looming

Rich
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:18 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Well that's about it for today, work is getting ever closer.

HiTec hs 55 is mounted on the underside with a hole drilled through the bottom of the fuselage for the lead to pass up through.

Just need to epoxy F1 in position and leave it all to dry, may get back on it tomorrow if I get chance and start the mast assembly. 4 hours work and the fuselage has gone together pretty well bar for that one former.

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 02, 2012, 01:45 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,181 Posts
You are a speed demon. Love the simplicity.
Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 03, 2012, 09:05 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Hi Bill,
Yes its very quick to build

Not had much time today but the spare I had I made a start on the mast.
Nothing to it really, just a piece of 1/4" x !/2" spruce with balsa sheet backing it. Made sure the hardwood was fully located into the slot before gluing the balsa to it, this is a dry fit for now and will be secured once it has all been covered.

As you can see I have had to file down the end of the mast at the top so the HK head will fit on. There is a gap each side which will be made up with 1/32" Fibre Glass sheet each side of the mast. The head just bolts on in place with its supplied M2 cap heads.
I will then sheet each side with 1/32" balsa, probably a bit of an over kill.

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 04, 2012, 08:13 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,832 Posts
Made a start on the tailplane and its mount, this I was a little concerned about this bit and I have found a few errors.
The main being the sizes of T1 and T2. Now it has gone together I can alter the drawings to suit.
I have tried to use light balsa for this assembly for obvious reasons.

Started off with one of the B1's to which B2 was glued, using the 6mm carbon boom tube as reference B3 was glued above it so that the tube is a nice interference fit. The second B1 was then glued to create the main vertical assembly.
T1 and T2 were then positioned square and true and glued into position. I shaved a small vee in the top of the vertical B1/B2 sandwich so that the T3's can locate nicely on top around their centre joint. The two T3's were then glued as shown on the photos, these are what the tailplane mounts to.
Tail feathers are all cut from 6mm depron sheet and will be hot glue gunned into position.
Another mod I have made during this 'suck it and see' stage is to notch out the centre of the tailplane around the centre joint. Then cut a male notch from the bottom of the fin so that it slots into place.

Rich