127 Posts
I can't view h.264 videos.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 24, 2012, 05:00 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,751 Posts
I like the casual hand launch of the Kay..........Is that the same one that Dave built ???
Happy Landings
Chris...........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Oct 25, 2012, 03:45 AM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
584 Posts
yes its the Kay that David built. I just added the profile pilot. I am hoping to build a larger profile version based on the HK head. Bill
SAM 3870 (1 min 12 sec)
gyronuts is offline Find More Posts by gyronuts
Last edited by gyronuts; Oct 25, 2012 at 04:28 AM.
Old Oct 25, 2012, 11:10 AM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
584 Posts
this looks familiar when gyros are flown in a windy day!!!!
http://www.britishpathe.com/video/a-...g/query/cierva
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:15 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Howdy guys, purchased a plan from Rich a while back and seeing as I have never flown one little lone made any thing from balsa I decided to try a Depron Foam version. After unsuccessful ground launch I had a mate chuck it.....and bugger me off it went....first throw first go I must give Chris (britinoz) a big thanks as he was good enough to spend a Friday arvo showing me all the tips and tricks

Better make a balsa one now....

Autogyros (3 min 55 sec)
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Oct 28, 2012, 10:09 AM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,193 Posts
Paradude:

Al Foots auto gyros and flying things were all made from depron or some kind of foam even the blades, if the only difference is that you have to hand launch I would do it every time! Seems to me it flew very good maybe a little ballast in the belly might help a little other than that Great Job!
Now not to get off topic was that a RC flapping bird that crossed in front of you on the hand launch?

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 12:24 PM
York England
Joined Jul 2002
584 Posts
looked like the one i used to have..Think it was called a Park Hawk see http://flappingflight.com/reviews
Last edited by gyronuts; Oct 28, 2012 at 12:44 PM.
Old Oct 28, 2012, 03:11 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,193 Posts
Not a cheap sport and no homemade birds here.
Thanks for the information..

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 28, 2012, 05:41 PM
Joined Nov 2005
1,751 Posts
G'day Scotty
Looked good mate.......I told you that the hand launch was the best way for this size of model. Speed looked OK ......possibly just a little more hang angle ...can you move the lipo a little more to the front ?
Chris.............
Old Oct 29, 2012, 04:21 AM
Joined Dec 2010
208 Posts
Yes Bill that was Andrew aka The Bird Man, he has a few and are a favorite target for the local Magpies. I think the depron is lighter than balsa, Rich's plan says 800gm and this is only 600gm so it could be a little light. I was only concerned due to HK blades being narrower than the plans but now I got the bug Ill have to find time to make one from balsa.

Chris, you were pretty spot on with everything mate regarding angles and throwing......minor trimming and I can agree that the HK blades are rubbish "at best" lol. After Helis, Planes and Paragliders they sure are relaxing, especially with spot landings at your feet.
Paradude is offline Find More Posts by Paradude
Old Nov 03, 2012, 08:59 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
102 Posts
Hi guys (sorry this is kinda off this Fire Fly thread) I wondered if anybody has a good way to static balance a three blade rotor I have built Toms Crane Fly and Rich's Fire Fly. I followed Rich's video on blade making and balancing. But when I attatch the rotor head to the model I allways get an out of balance vibration at full autorotation
I have laid the model on it's side tightned the blades down to keep them all level, measured from the tip of one blade to the next getting the measurement equal tip to tip and I allways get a heavy blade. I just can't seem to get the static balance right adding tape to the heavy blades. Maybe I am just being too fussy as the models seem to fly fine but there is a lot of shaking going on, does anybody have a simple method? ( I am using the HK head and the fiberglass triangular plate fron Rich's drawing)
Thanks ahead of time if anyone can help.
Kevin
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter
Old Nov 03, 2012, 10:31 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Hey Kevin. First thought is don't add tape to the heavy blades, add em to the light ones. Second, Rich shows on one of his threads how to just bolt two of the blades together through the blade holes and balance a pair at a time. Find the heavy one and then balance the other blades to it. Also, make sure your blades aren't too tight. They need to find their centrifugal center. Finally, make sure the tracking is reasonably close. Rotate the rotor and see that all the blades are at the same height. If none of these work and you still have a wobble I'd check the center of the hub or bearing alignment as the case may be.

Good luck,

Don
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 04, 2012, 12:24 AM
Joined Nov 2005
1,751 Posts
Kevin
The bad new is that ballancing blade is a pain.I have found that using a DU-BRO ballancer makes the job a lot easier.So if you have one, or access to one, give it a try.
Firstly make sure the three blades are in there correct position and tight. You do not wan't them to move around when they are being ballanced. I add tape to the "lighter" blades ,untill they all ballance. Yes it takes time..........but it's worth it. And I have to be honest here in saying that I myself don't bother with correcting any "tracking" problems.Remember to losen the blades a little for flight.
Happy Landings
Chris.......
Old Nov 04, 2012, 09:20 AM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
I agree with you Chris, I don't worry too much about tracking either but I was looking for possible wobble problems.

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Nov 04, 2012, 02:37 PM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Hennef (Sieg)
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Hi everybody,

I agree totally with you guys, balancing the fire fly blades is a real challenge!

At the first try to make a Set of blades for the Fire Fly, I didnīt manage to get them spin up optimal or running them without vibrations.
After a long Time of balancing I tried a spin up in a gusty wind, by holding the Rotorhead by Hand (Servos not yet delivered).
After a very long spin up the vibrations became very strong so I decided to stop the Test Run but in the same moment a big wind gust hit the rotors and caused a Tail Strike!

OK Own Fault!!!

After rebuilding the complete Tail Section, changing the Rudder Servo and mounting a new boom I decided to make a new try!

First I disassembled the HK Rotorhead and removed my first Rotorplate.
There I found, that the original center screw was bent a little, so I replaced it.

Then I made a complete new Head plate which I drilled very accurate and then balanced it precisely (like Rich explained in this Thread).

After that I made new blanks for a new Set of blades, sanded them into shape then weighing, balancing, weighing........ (I used pins for fine trimming instead of balsa lock which works fine as well)

At least I got a Set of blades which all weigh the same (covered 37g each) and balance each other.

In Wind the Rotor now spins up fine, runs nearly without vibrations and I think the lift is more than enough but one of my blades still is running a little out of track and I donīt really know if this couldnīt be a problem in flight.

Otherwise I donīt really know how to fix it instead of changing the one blades angle of attack.

Iīm waiting for my Head Servos to come an then we will see

Will let you know!!!
Maakus is offline Find More Posts by Maakus