SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Aug 29, 2012, 02:11 AM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
79 Posts
Hi
I made first fly yesterday
I was surprised that it flew just after 3 meters rolling !!
Some wind was helping a lot I think
BUT I had big problem in the air : I could not fly horizontally even lowering the motor , it was still climbing , climbing .......( windy 15, 20km/h day )
I have a bigger motor than needed , DUALSKY XM3536CA-6T - 103g 350watt , I had it stock !!
Overall weigh 750 gr without blades , 840 gr with blades .
I pushed down elevator at max and not enough reaction
I have the max travel possible both aileron and elevator
Finaly landed almost without motor without damage
Cheking angle i had 14 down, hanging the model with the mast
So my question is should I give it more angle down like 20 or more ? Or what ... ?
Thanks for help
Andre
andre seb is offline Find More Posts by andre seb
Last edited by andre seb; Aug 29, 2012 at 02:36 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 29, 2012, 03:19 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,829 Posts
G'Day Andre
A couple of things to take note of is the incidence on the head.What is yours? If you have to much then it will climb as you have discribed. I can't remember the correct hang angle at the moment .But the simple rule is that "more" is always better,so it could be increased a little then that may help.
Also you will find that most autogyros will only need about half throttle to fly.So the first responce to a climbing model is to reduce thrust first and the retrim the head. You will have to get into a different mind set when flying autogyros..I am glad to know that no damage was done ....but I am sure you had an "interesting" flight.
Happy Landings
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Aug 29, 2012, 04:58 AM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
79 Posts
Hi
Thanks Chris for infos
I don't have incidence on the head : The triangular plate is square with the mast .
You are right saying it was an interesting flight but i vould not like to experience a second like that !
I will try 20 , 22 degrees hanging angle for next , and wait for a less windy day !
Thanks again
Andre
Old Aug 29, 2012, 10:34 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,910 Posts
Andre,
Sounds like it was just a bit to windy for a maiden. Try it when it is flat calm, use power to climb and try not to force to fly straight. It should fly virtually hands if it doesn't then it is out of trim.
Are you able to move your Lipo forwards? this I have to do in the wind to penetrate.

Any photos of your finished Fire Fly?

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Aug 29, 2012, 01:21 PM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
79 Posts
Hi Rich
As I use a bigger and heavier motor than needed, I had to put some weigh rearwards for 14 . I took it off , and so I get some 20 degrees down with tailboom .
I think this will help
True it was too windy for a maiden , but as it lifted off after rolling only 3 meters from ground , I think it will handle better .

Would you think 20 to 22 are too much from what I experienced ?

I did not paint it yet ! I prefered trying it before
Photos will come later
Regards
Andre
Old Sep 03, 2012, 02:39 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Missed out on getting to Desford yesterday, but that's life. Before I repair my tail for the umteenth time after a blade strike, will I generate any problems by shortening the boom by 4" so the blades can't get at the fin anymore?
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Sep 03, 2012, 05:04 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,910 Posts
LG,
It should fly fine but you are more likely to get a tail strike with it shorter boom, you will be surprised just how far the blades can bend down. Better to go longer or use lighter blades.

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:47 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Thanks Rich, my blades are heavy at 35g so I should build some lighter perhaps, though it makes for a realistic ROG and a ground run of nearly the same as full size in zero wind . I think for now I'll just cut away the forward part of the fin to clear the blades, and perhaps make a 1/16" circle for the head instead of the 1/32". I suppose then it puts more strain on the head plate and just moves the damage around. Maybe better to land properly
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:25 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,231 Posts
The End Of Summer

Well fellas I feel rather down in the dumps but not from flying my new autogyro rather because I have have had it for so long and not had a chance to take it it up till today. Yesterday was Labor Day and that kinda marks the end of summer over on this side of the pond,all the summer festivities stop and the tourist go home, traffic eases up , the kids are back in school tomorrow , and I can have some time alone to partake in the HOBBY. The trees are dropping leafs WHERE DID THE SUMMER GO ?? Seems like weeks have gone by since I came home from work and found a package post marked from the UK on the porch. But with so many family things going on I just found time to go to the field and have some well deserved FUN ! I do believe the video says it all. THANKS RICH..!!!!

BILL

Fire fly II From a true friend !! (5 min 29 sec)
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 04, 2012, 01:56 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
669 Posts
Good video Bill, I enjoyed that. Sorry you didn't make it to Desford, we even had a hot dog waiting for you with your name on it ah! well, maybe next year.

Regards

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Sep 04, 2012, 03:54 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,910 Posts
They were all looking at their watches, 'we just need to give Bill a little more time to get here as he has to travel just a bit further'....never did see you but your bacon and egg sandwich was nice!

Excellent video Bill, glad she has taken to the air and hope she gives you hours of pleasure

Regards

Rich
Old Sep 05, 2012, 12:39 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,829 Posts
G'Day Bill
Nice flying..........and yes......use rudder....keeps the turns flat.... try a flight with rudder instead of roll........and a burst of throttle as you land......helps
Happy Landings
Chris......
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Sep 05, 2012, 03:52 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
399 Posts
Nice flight Bill....get some hours in before the weather over there turns!!

By the way, hows the Sig Kadet coming along?

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Sep 05, 2012, 08:55 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Nice job Grumpy Bill! Looks like she's a really good flyer!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Sep 05, 2012, 11:55 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
531 Posts
nice bill

i like the orange
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast