Happy Landings
Chris.............
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:33 AM
United Kingdom, Gt Lon
Joined Jan 2010
93 Posts
This is for Safelandings,but if you have any comments all welcome,and perhaps help futhure
builders.
I am sorting out the balsa etc to start on Fire Fly and i noticed that the blades are 60mm wide and use 6mmx6mm spruce LE which leaves 54mm of balsa,now to get 3 blades from a sheet of balsa you would 125mm approx wide 6mm balsa 1220mm long.
However after trying to get 5" or 6" wide 6mm balsa it seams it is not advailable in this size so the other way to get over this is to have a spruce LE of 9.5mm x6mm,then you can get four blades from one sheet of 6mm x100mm wide x1200mm long sheet of balsa.
Before i do this i would like your comments,as i do not have much experiance of gyrocopter blades.
regards to all Jeff
jeffstu is offline Find More Posts by jeffstu
Old Aug 10, 2012, 08:41 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
I just measure the weight of the sheets of balsa and choose a couple which have a similar grain and weight. After sanding, my blades seem to be within a few grams of one another so easily balanced.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Aug 14, 2012, 10:46 AM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Hi Rich I also have a question about the blades I have been cutting out parts for my Fire Fly and I noticed the blades on the plan are a little wider than mine (mine are 2inch wide balsa with quater inch ramine glued to the LE) so in reality when finished they are just a tad over two and a quater inches wide. I use this size on the Crane Fly which seem OK but I have no other Gyronuts around here to compare flying with. But as you say if it works don't fix it.
P. S. Thanks for all the members imput, could not do this without all your help and answers.
Kevin (CA)
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter
Old Aug 14, 2012, 04:20 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Chaps,
3mm narrower on the blade cord is fine, I'm the same as Simon and use sheets to suit. My offcuts don't go to waste as you can glue them together and make extra blades. I have tried 3/8" wide hardwood and they did work but the extra weight caused a slower spin up and made the tail more vunerable to tail strikes.

I did infact try wider blades than the 60mm shown and they didn't work as well.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Aug 18, 2012, 10:19 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
So that's why I keep whacking the tail. My blades are from a 4" sheet split down the middle and 7/16" softwood strip from the builders merchants on the leading edge. The blades weigh around 36g.

Even though the blades were cut from the same sheet, there was still a variation of around 4g between the blades. This was made up with several coats of varnish.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Aug 19, 2012, 04:35 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
It's the patio Fairy, It's the patio Fairy and he spread out my blocks and left behind a shinny new FIRE FLY II.. WOW WHAT A GUY

BILL
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:10 PM
United States, CA, Monterey
Joined Jun 2010
97 Posts
Nice looking new models Bill hope you let us know how that Sig conversion flys. I have a Cub fus I would like to convert. How do I have the Cub fus left over? Well trying to land one day I managed to fly it through a fence took both wings clean off didn't scratch the fus or tailplane,couldn't do that again if you paid me.
Kevin (CA)
PS Finally have all the Fire Fly parts so I hope to get started building this week
sepcter is offline Find More Posts by sepcter
Old Aug 19, 2012, 07:39 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
It's the patio Fairy, It's the patio Fairy and he spread out my blocks and left behind a shinny new FIRE FLY II.. WOW WHAT A GUY

BILL
That is absolutely beautiful Bill......and the Firefly's not bad either!
(thank you for your thoughtfulness....the wife said you can't be THAT grumpy)

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Aug 20, 2012, 01:00 AM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,690 Posts
G'Day Bill
When I say that USAF decal on the side of Rich's model , I had a pretty good idea where it was heading.............Who's a lucky boy.??........
Happy Landings
Chris........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Aug 21, 2012, 11:27 PM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
73 Posts
Hi
I am about to test for first fly my new toy !
Just wanted to ask : seems to me that triangular fiber plate is not enough rigid , blades are coming down when fitted on the head !
I saw pictures of a round fiber plate under triangular one , is that useful as it does not appear on the firefly plan ?
If yes , which size and is it also made of 0,8mm fiber ?
Thanks for answer
Andre
andre seb is offline Find More Posts by andre seb
Old Aug 22, 2012, 01:41 AM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
73 Posts
Hi again !

Two more questions concerning settings :

From what I understand , hanging the model I must find 12 to 16 degres ,nose down, between tail boom and horizontal line , main mast not being vertical .
Or must the mast be vertical , but , I will get less angle ?
Second : 5 to 7 degrees tilting up for triangular plate : Do I check this between mast and plate , or between vertical line and plate while hanging the model

Sorry for my poor English !!

Thanks again
Andre
Old Aug 22, 2012, 05:56 AM
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
Andre,

If you look on the Spyro thread, you will see a PDF for the strike plate which fits under the main triangular plate, but to be honest I've not got one fitted on my FireFly as there is quite a lot of clearance to the tail feathers.

When measuring you hang angle, use the tail boom as your reference point not the main mast. When I test flew mine, I set the head at 90 degrees the main mast and she flew staight out of my hand with very little trimming.

Good luck with your maiden.

Cheers,
Simon
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Aug 22, 2012, 06:26 AM
FRANCE
Joined Feb 2004
73 Posts
Thanks Simon for your advice
This is what I understood , but I wanted to be sure !
Best regards
Andre
Old Aug 22, 2012, 08:36 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Andre,
The PDF for the triangular plate and anti strike plate can be found here, post 21:

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showt...1587127&page=2

Your blades will droop a little and the circle may plate may help, but the tailplane and fins have been designed to minimise tail strikes.

Have fun flying and let us know how it goes?

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings