HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 07, 2012, 05:38 AM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Joe,
This is where mine went 'white', I couldn't trust it in the air. Seems to me the holes are a little close together for comfort? or maybe its just not pure PPP? But I feel sure it would fail with time, just not worth the risk
Will keep a look out for your plates
For simplicity mine is just a replacement triangular plate that matches up to the hub. I have increased the diameter of the mounting holes from the centre out which I hope will give a touch more lift rather than extending blade length. Should be far more durable (famous last words)
I have also made up another plate that goes underneath this, but I need to get hold of some slightly longer M2 bolts. That will be there purely to act as an anti strike plate, just depends on the blades that are used. The HK blades seem extremely light to anything else.

Regards

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:23 AM
Scotland
Joined Jan 2010
1,018 Posts
Anti strike plate on the cad drawing as-well I fitted one to the 1/6 scale Little Wing if it can be cut on the machine it may go on ebay
Joe
Jockadopolus is offline Find More Posts by Jockadopolus
Old Feb 07, 2012, 07:25 AM
Peterborough
Joined Feb 2009
167 Posts
Hi Joe, Rich,

My C30 plate snapped just where yours has gone white, after a particlular "arrival".
I originally replaced it it with one made from an old glow fuel bottle, but that seemed to flexible, so replaced a 2nd time with 1/32 glassfibre plate. This was much more effective, and is still in use today :-)

I must say that the triangle would have been a lot easier to cut out.

cheers

Ian
ismith2uk is offline Find More Posts by ismith2uk
Old Feb 10, 2012, 06:46 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Seems to be all work and no play of late but managed to get out for the second time to fly the Fire Fly on my way to work today.

Goes pretty well for a model that has cost near enough nothing.

Model Autogyro 'FIRE FLY' (4 min 35 sec)

Roll on the summer I say! to cold out there at the moment

Regards

Rich
Old Feb 10, 2012, 08:02 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,819 Posts
That looks like a little fun machine mate. Is that a built up fuz or did you manage to find a container that size.......looks a little on the cooooool side over there...........Brrrrrrrr
Chris.......... .
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz
Old Feb 11, 2012, 02:28 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Chris,
10mins out there and my thumbs and toes went numb!

Its just a slab sided box fuselage as per Tom's design. I just didn't have any lite ply like he uses but only some 6mm balsa sheet. So to keep the strength I extended my fuselage sides back to the base plate of the fuselage. It didn't look right all square so I tapered it off to the rear edge, then the bottom didn't look correct so I added some balsa strips underneath. Just sanded it all roundish then.
The mast is just 6 x 13mm spruce, the length I had was bent so couldn't use it for the boom and only had enough straight spruce for the mast. All I had for the tail boom was the Baco Liner wing axles (recycling) which are 8mm carbon. I eliminated the cross member at the rear from the mast to the boom and just beefed it up inside the fuselage. The mast is only tack glued incase of a 'misshap' but the control rods have been moved to the front (for obvious reasons) rather than the rear 'as per', this is really the only major change.
Tom uses a metal hinge for the roll pivot, I searched high and low for one small enough but just couldn't find one, hence the use of the HK head.

It has been refreshing to build someone elses design again,a few changes but nothing drastic.
I would certainly recommend it for someone who wants to have a crack at one for the first time. Its cheap and easy to build and can take a knock, if its breaks then it can be repaired quickly.
Originally the reason for me making it was as a night flier, once I have got my other builds done out of the way I may make a replacement fuselage or flog this one on and build the LED strips into it. Probably cover it in translusant covering so it looks like it has been made that way rather than just slapping lights on it.

Regards

Rich
Last edited by SafeLandings; Feb 17, 2012 at 12:53 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 03:43 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
391 Posts
Rich

That looks great...yet another winner and i agree it looks ideal for someone who wants to give autogyros a try. Look forward to seeing you flying it in the dark, you won't have to use your car headlights like last time!!

Cheers
Rich
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:53 AM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Nice floater Rich! Looks great in the air!
Do you have the stopper plate on there? Couldn't see it, was spinning so fast!
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Feb 11, 2012, 12:26 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Joe,
No, just the triangular plate was fitted yesterday. I may leave it like that to save weight Trouble with the light top end is that I have had to add quite a bit of down thrust, never like doing that would sooner build it in.

Regards

Rich
Old Feb 11, 2012, 06:46 PM
QLD Australia
Joined Oct 2009
299 Posts
Heres something new to try if you get bored with your current rotor head designs.[I doubt that!]
It allowed for shorter rotors, which could then fly somewhat faster.
Or the use of normal lenght rotors[apx23ft+/-] in a 2seater[which needs apx 27ft+]
But like 'jump' take-off in single seat gyro--it worked, but was more trouble than it was worth.
Ken
minirotor is online now Find More Posts by minirotor
Old Feb 18, 2012, 04:21 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,900 Posts
Ken,
Looks like an interesting concept!, I'm sure I have seen a recent thread with a model fitted with a head like that?

I had an hour of light left when I finished work yesterday, grabbed the Fire Fly and had a quick flight at the local common 'tree dodging'
For some reason the dogs have taken a fancy to this one.

Weather again was a little grey but took a video of one of the flights. Nice little model for just throwing in the boot of the car. Ok not a super model but who cares

Fire Fly on the common (7 min 1 sec)

Regards

(not getting much time to play) Rich
Old Feb 18, 2012, 11:36 PM
AND FOR MY NEXT TRICK....!
Omaha Millard, Nebraska, United States
Joined Sep 2004
4,067 Posts
Man...I thought my flying field was tight! Great video Rich! Hey, looks like the thing flies great!
Joe
jodini is offline Find More Posts by jodini
Old Feb 19, 2012, 04:39 AM
Wolverhampton, England
Joined Jun 2010
391 Posts
Why wait til after work...you could fly that indoors on your tea break
Ricardo1500 is offline Find More Posts by Ricardo1500
Old Feb 21, 2012, 05:40 PM
United Kingdom, England, East Grinstead
Joined Nov 2007
117 Posts
Not made a good job of my blades, but here is my Crane Fly built from Tom's build thread. Been an easy model to build, and as this is my first autogyro, quite easy to fly. Bit windy on the day, but mates wanted to see it fly.

Cranefly autogyro flight (6 min 7 sec)

Would definitely recommend if you fancy having a go.

Cheers,

Simon
Si_B is offline Find More Posts by Si_B
Old Feb 21, 2012, 06:16 PM
Elizabeth South Australia 5113
Joined Nov 2005
1,819 Posts
G'Day Simon from Greater London.
As a Tottenham boy myself ,I think that the second flight was nearly as good as the first. Keep up the good work.You will find that Autogyros are very addictive.
Happy Landings
Chris.........
britinoz is offline Find More Posts by britinoz