HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 13, 2012, 10:44 AM
Deutschland, Nordrhein-Westfalen, Hennef (Sieg)
Joined Jan 2012
56 Posts
Hi Rich,

very sad about your bad landing!

Is this boom full CF Material or a CF-Pipe?

If it is a pipe, I would cut it off at the end of the fuselage and then glue a smaller CF-Pipe (or Glass Fiber one) into the End of your Tail Boom (with excess lenght) and then glue this Tail Boom back into the hole of your fuselage.
That should do the job to get stability back.

Hope my explanation is good enough to understand what I mean.
Maakus is offline Find More Posts by Maakus
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 13, 2012, 01:16 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
643 Posts
Hi Rich,
I used 1,0mm GF plate from Mcgregor Industries which works well, tail boom was from my sons old fishing rod, yes, we tend to build with what's to hand.

Chas
Gyrocopter is online now Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 02:10 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Chas:
What happens when your son comes in and says hey dad I just found out that my old fishing rod is worth a fortune on E-bay have you seen it?

Bill

NOPE ask your mother.
Mud Duck Bill is offline Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jun 13, 2012, 03:05 PM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
643 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mud Duck Bill View Post
Chas:
What happens when your son comes in and says hey dad I just found out that my old fishing rod is worth a fortune on E-bay have you seen it?

Bill

NOPE ask your mother.
Fishing rod........what fishing rod
Gyrocopter is online now Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Jun 13, 2012, 05:32 PM
Joined Dec 2010
23 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Lazygit View Post
What's the difference? It seems Garolite is just a brand name.
Industrial grade fiberglass,is chopped up strands of fiberglass bonded together with epoxy, Garolite is made simular to what is used to make a fiberglass layup, useing a several layers fo fiberglass mat, that are orentaeted in different directions. Garolite I beleve is actually considerated to be a phenolic material. I did a simple test with both types of material, identical in width and thickness, I put the material in a vise, and useing a cresent wrench, bent the materials, once you reached a certan level of bending, with the industrial grade fiberglass you could hear the fiberdglass strands breaking, and once they started breaking, it was all downhill from there. The garolite withstood much more bending before it broke. When you watch videos of gyros flying (except Riche's gyros) you will see that about 50% of the time they tip over upon landing, and that is the major stress upon the blade mount. There are different grades of garolite, make sure that you select grade G10. Garolite is the material that they make circuit boards from. Also be aware that on some of the Garolite, sometimes you will notice that the tensel strength is different on the length verses the width of the material.

Gary
Dutchman3 is offline Find More Posts by Dutchman3
Old Jun 13, 2012, 06:53 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Chas, Bill,

On my tea break at work soaking wet in effluent as I have just removed a sump pump and whats going through my mind?

Chas sat on the side of the canal fishing with his Fire Fly catching Perch!

Gary,
You say the tensile strength is higher with Garolite than Fibre Glass sheet? have you ever compared the machining quality of both? does the garolite take the edge off a cutting edge quicker? or can you alter the cutting speeds?

Marcus,
Thanks for the idea, its all repaired now and flying well with no twist.

Regards

(wet) Rich
SafeLandings is offline Find More Posts by SafeLandings
Old Jun 13, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Dec 2010
23 Posts
machining Garolite

Rich
I have a small metal cutting bandsaw that works well for sawing fiberglass or garolite, because the blade speed is much slower than a wood cutting bandsaw. My metal cutting bandsaw converts from a horizontal bandsaw to a vertical bandsaw, just by lifting the saw to the vertical position. Unfortunitly it can only use 1/2 inch wide blades, and does not work well for sawing circles. I tried sawing garolite with my wood cutting bandsaw, and in a distance of about 10 inches the blade was junk. I bought another bandsaw at a garage sale, and am going to try changeing the size of the puleys to make it run slower. I have sawed garolite and fiberglass with my hand held saber saw, it works, but does not make a very accurate cut. When drilling Garolite I alwas try to clamp it down on a scrap piece of wood so the back side dosen't break out.

Gary
Dutchman3 is offline Find More Posts by Dutchman3
Old Jun 14, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Dutchman thanks for the Garolite information. Fot cutting fibreglass sheet if you look at posts 192 and 193 on page 13 it will give you an idea of how I cut FG sheet. It's all done with a 1mm dia carbide cutter running at 20,000 rpm (well it's fastish). Cutting circles is easy. All you need is a pin offset from the cutter by the radius of the circle you want to cut. Have a hole in the FG sheet thats a snug fit on the pin, then lower the cutter, clamp in position and rotate the FG sheet and you get a perfect circle. You could also do it with a circle template stuck on the FG and treat it as a normal pin routing exercise.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Jul 05, 2012, 10:12 AM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
hello

what the best motor+prop choice ?????
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Jul 05, 2012, 03:44 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
Jeff,
You will need a motor that produces between 150-300 watts with a KV rating of between 830 -1100. 3 cel lipo around 1500mah capacity swinging between a 9-11" prop depending on the motor chosen. I opted on the safe side and bought an inexpensive 40 amp esc.
I will have a hunt on the net over the weekend and add a link to something that will work.

Regards

Rich
Old Jul 05, 2012, 09:14 PM
martinsville indiana
Joined Dec 2007
529 Posts
hi rich

thanks for the help
thechannelmast is offline Find More Posts by thechannelmast
Old Jul 17, 2012, 12:17 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
I used a A2830 1300Kv motor, and at present it has a 8x3.8E prop. I did have a slow fly GWS 9x7 (9070) but when it was pulling hard it made a hell of a din so I replaced it. The prop went into a vibrating mode. With the 9x7 it pulled over 20A so I used a 40A ESC. I'll measure the current with the 8x 3.8, but I think it might be better to use a bigger prop.

I took off the tailplane fins to make the rudder more effective.
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,820 Posts
LazyGit,
Nice to see she is in the air at last, what motor did you end up using?

Been doing a bit to my friends Fire Fly today, just need to hook everything up and cover the blades etc. maybe when I'm done the weather may pick up! rumour on the street is that the jet stream has moved up north to where it should be

I also have to test the head below for someone, it's an alloy version of the HK jobbie with a few mods. Surprisingly it weighs the same as the plastic version! a bit more substantial though may come in handy for biggy Fire Fly I have been thinking that it may well be converted to have bomb dropping capabilities!

Regards

Rich
Old Jul 17, 2012, 03:59 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Ya gota know that orange is my favorite, That is a BEEFY head Ahhh my best friends are machinist, and engineers (that prove their theories first)not the ones that hand you prints and say here make me look good son.

Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 17, 2012, 04:13 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,178 Posts
Lazygit
I found this site and it seems very helpful on matching motor,esc,props ect.
You might want to check it out.

Heads up RC

Sorry new IPad for my birthday and haven't learned how to cut and past links yet Bill
RCG Plus Member