Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 17, 2012, 04:23 PM
It was a GLITCH! Honestly!
Stourport on Severn ,Worcestershire, United Kingdom
Joined Dec 2007
4,800 Posts
Bill,
And maybe a little thin!....4 months without a smoke and I'm getting a little Tubby Batman

Been playing on the computer the last few nights, my mate has been pointing me in the right direction with Solid Works. Now I am absolutely useless but today I managed to piece together the HK head as my first assembly
You computer Junkies will be laughing at this attempt but I am chuffed, I will drop this on to the Fire Fly plan when and if I can work it out then on to maybe the PCA-2 four blade hub

HK head assembly (1 min 25 sec)

Regards

Chuffed with himself

Rich
SafeLandings is online now Find More Posts by SafeLandings
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 17, 2012, 05:32 PM
Sky's not the limit, ground is
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Great work Rich! I think you've got yourself a new toy! I can think of a hundred things I'd engineer and draw if I had your skills.

Did you say you quit smoking? Congrats! It'll be three years this June since I had my last puff, after over forty years. I don't miss it a bit but I have managed to gain over 30 pounds. but I'm saving hundreds of dollars. I'm trying to get back on the treadmill but everything aches more these days.

I look forward to seeing what you come up with next!

DC
skydanz is offline Find More Posts by skydanz
Old Apr 18, 2012, 03:06 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,169 Posts
Holy bustin belt buckles Batman I'm putin on the pounds, But I haven't had a but in months.

That's ok food is better for you just try it in moderation, Keep up the good work.

Now as for the new CAD work I see an abandoned work shop and no more sawdust coming out from under the door. All of Rich's new projects will be in THEORY AND FLOWN IN THE VIRTUAL WORLD. Ah fellas we won't see Rich at the field anymore only at a desk behind a computer with a joy stick .

Bill
P. S. Just kiddin that would have taken me weeks to do. will make drawing plans fast and easy.
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 12:58 PM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
skydanz, 30lbs may be from HFCS. What's that? Pull up a chair for an hour and a half and watch
Sugar: The Bitter Truth (1 hr 29 min 28 sec)
or a short version
Sugar: The Bitter Truth (The SHORT Version) (11 min 20 sec)
Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Last edited by Lazygit; Apr 20, 2012 at 09:55 AM.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 03:19 PM
Up State New York , USA
Joined Mar 2009
1,169 Posts
I watched the young fella AND I understood it. It gives you the feeling that you should pay more attention to labeling, But to totally honest with you I won't,,I should but I won't. Thanks I was educated.

Bill
Mud Duck Bill is online now Find More Posts by Mud Duck Bill
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:39 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Thanks for video. Makes a lot of sense. I tend to blame a lot of my weight gain on inactivity and the meds I take for a bad back, but there must be something more to it. I hardly eat much at all anymore but I'm sure what I do eat is loaded with HFCS. I'll have to pay more attention and see if it helps.

Maybe we should promote autogyros as a way to lose weight. I get more exercise fetching errant AGs than anything else I do!

If I fly more AGs and cut down on soda, I should lose weight! At least that's what I'll tell my wife why I need to buy more AGs.

DC
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:43 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,800 Posts
Don,
I did 10 years and started a couple of years ago again...really stupid!

Lazygit,

We are all doomed, just been down the shed grinding asbestos, had to clean things up with some trichlorothylene but the smell got to me so used some CA Activator as air freshener. To top it all off I was drinking tea with sugar in it

Interesting video, must get back on track and finish the autogyro.......if I last that long of course

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 19, 2012, 04:57 PM
USA, CA, San Jose
Joined Dec 2007
855 Posts
Ha! For 20 years, I used Imron automotive paint for everything. The closest thing to a respirator was a Salem hanging out of my mouth. If you lose 6 minutes of your life for every cig, 2 mins for each exposure to acetone, MEK, asbestos, carbon fiber, carbon monoxide, Radon, etc., I should be dead. Not to mention what each pound overweight does. Maybe I was going to live to be 125.

Sorry for hijacking your thread again Rich. I guess I need to build a Firefly to replace my Scout.
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:03 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,800 Posts
Live for today I say

Just watch those sugar levels

No worries on hijacking the thread, its not like I have added much this week any how

Must stop playing on the computer

Regards

Rich
Old Apr 20, 2012, 01:13 AM
Joined Oct 2009
127 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
We are all doomed, just been down the shed grinding asbestos, had to clean things up with some trichlorothylene but the smell got to me so used some CA Activator as air freshener. To top it all off I was drinking tea with sugar in it

Lazygit is offline Find More Posts by Lazygit
Old Apr 21, 2012, 06:11 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
630 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SafeLandings View Post
Don,

Regards

Rich
You really shouldn't be having sugar in your tea.

Just been out to maiden the Firefly, I must confess to not checking C/G or head settings but just built it as per plan. I know hand launching is the way to go but somehow I prefer to ROG. Anyhow, it was pointed into wind and away it went, needed very little trimming and coped with the breeze with no problems and was soon flying hands off.

Great gyro trainer, thanks to Tom & Rich for a neat design.

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Apr 21, 2012, 08:16 AM
Joined Dec 2007
4,800 Posts
Chas,
' Its the quiet ones you have to watch', that's what my nan always says to me!
Congratulations on a successful maiden, I must confess I haven't yet tried that new tail in the air. The idea is hopefully to make right handers a bit flatter so I will be interested whether it works or not?
I will also be interested to know of your final trim settings and of course the others who PM'd me for plans if and when they get chance to build. It must be getting close to our American friends getting their plans too

I have been busy making blades for others and I am in the process of balancing etc. It seems that if each blade goes over a certain weight at this length (about 30 grammes) 1 degree of negative shim is needed. Now this has totally surprised me so the blades I have made I will fly them as I know they are different weights. I will relay all the info back to you budding Fire Fly builders.

Did you use the HK head Chas?

Don' be shy with photos

LEDS next?

Regards

Rich

PS:
This is what I am doing for Tom.
Last edited by SafeLandings; Apr 21, 2012 at 08:35 AM.
Old Apr 21, 2012, 11:21 AM
What could possibly go wrong!!
In Bedfordshire, UK.
Joined Oct 2008
630 Posts
Hi Rich,

I also went to maiden the Gemini today but found it needed a tail skid to stop the rudder from being taken out. It has a really high hang angle of 21 deg. does it need tail weight? I will try to hop it next time out to find out.

I must say the Firefly did right hand circuits fine although in hindsight I did only manage one, flying left handers does become a habit. I did use the HK head but used 1,0mm thick triangular head plate with no shims. We tend to use what we find in the odds & sods bin! AUW of the blades was 31grms.

I will put some photos and trim settings on when I get a chance.

Can't wait to fly it again.

Chas
Gyrocopter is offline Find More Posts by Gyrocopter
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:38 AM
United Kingdom, England, Shrewsbury
Joined Apr 2006
36 Posts
Hi Rich,

Had a mammoth planing/sanding session today, between the hailstorms, and finished a set of 4 blades for the Firefly.

They have all come out around 21grms ea. Is that too light, or should I add some exrtra weight?

Richard
beltec is offline Find More Posts by beltec
Old Apr 22, 2012, 01:11 PM
Joined Dec 2007
4,800 Posts
Chas,
I am not sure on my hang angle with the Gemini as I don't have here at the moment so cant check. I didn't add any weight to the front or the rear. It will fly very light with a 3 cell Lipo and a bit more aggressive with a 4 cell, the 3 cell has to go a couple of inches further forward. But for sure my batteries do no go right up the nose, just forward of the former where the rudder servo is located. The rudder should be shorter than the tail skid, I will have to check the drawing. I haven't had my rudder catch as yet.

Rich,
I am sure your blades will be fine if using the 1/32" plate, the one set I have fitted to mine are 26.5 grammes not covered.There is a slight droop to the blades when fitted but this should be fine. Just waiting for the weather to improve before I can go out and maiden.
All that weather came from your way today, hail, thunder, heavy down pours. Lets just hope it clears up soon.

Regards

Rich