HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:40 AM
United States, FL, Port Orange
Joined Mar 2004
1,101 Posts
Question
Graupner E-Props VS APC PROPS

For the multi rotor aircrafts like the popular Xaircraft 650 V4 or V8. I see many people asking what prop is best. Some say Graupner E-props @ $10 each or APC @ $4 each. or the Gemfan @ $2 each. Is their that much difference to justify the difference in price. All these props are airplane props used in a multi/heli application which the motors runs between 50% and 65% ---95% of the time.
So to justify the price-does one prop hold up better in a crash or is one less noisy or is one more Eff. for longer flight time etc, etc.
Go4it is offline Find More Posts by Go4it
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 01:54 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,101 Posts
I just order both types for my hexa Xaircraft. I will test each type and see what the results are.I will post the results if thier is a big differce between the two types
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:29 AM
United States, NJ
Joined Sep 2011
138 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Go4it View Post
I just order both types for my hexa Xaircraft. I will test each type and see what the results are.I will post the results if thier is a big differce between the two types
How can you mount those props to XA? It has square shaft.
Invertible is offline Find More Posts by Invertible
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:38 AM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
I have used APC and GemFans.

I found GemFans to be stiffer and more balanced than APCs

But they also are more fragile.

APC props are super durable!
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:28 AM
Joined Mar 2004
1,101 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Invertible View Post
How can you mount those props to XA? It has square shaft.
I do not use their motors for that reason
Old Apr 06, 2012, 08:34 AM
United States, CA, San Diego
Joined Nov 2011
112 Posts
I have crash landed my DJI 450 flamewheel 3 times and 1 time going thru a tree to fall all the way down and my GemFan props are still raring to go another round. Compared to my 3 bladed props wherein a single fall will break them easy. I like my GemFan props, very durable.
Paltik.45acp is offline Find More Posts by Paltik.45acp
Old Apr 06, 2012, 09:00 AM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
Graupner E-props are much much stiffer than APC SF props. They're more expensive but give roughly the same lift and perform much better in FFF. I'd go with Graupners if money isn't an issue. That or Gemfan CF reinforced props.
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 06, 2012, 10:16 AM
United Kingdom
Joined Nov 2008
2,004 Posts
I must have different GemFans to others on this thread

Mine break at very minor crashes and, of the recent batch of 16 props I recently got, only 1 did not need balancing
Mike Barton is offline Find More Posts by Mike Barton
Old Apr 06, 2012, 12:44 PM
manual flying apologist
United States, CA, Fresno
Joined Mar 2011
6,944 Posts
Githelirc has the CF reinforced ones. They are different than the EPP ones.
Adidas4275 is offline Find More Posts by Adidas4275
Old Apr 06, 2012, 03:26 PM
------------------------
United States, CA, Glendale
Joined Jan 2012
942 Posts
I am trying to understand the choices as well. As I understand it...

Graupner:
The best engineered prop with good balance and superior performance for weight. Not that strong where crashes are concerned as stiffness also equals brittleness to some degree. The stiffness is what gives it the performance in flight as it resist deformation giving better response to input as well as extending flight times to some degree. Should also give less vibrations so better for AP.

But they are expensive if you still crash often like me :-) Best price I have seen $14 a pair of 11 x 5...

Electricwingman

APC:
Well engineered but may still need balancing. Super durable although softer and heavier than the Graupners. That makes them potentially better in crashes but less precise in flight as they will flex more. Less flight time as well. Still a very respected prop and many claim they have never thrown an APC prop in flight which is something worth considering.

Gemfan:
High quality for the price it seems. The first thing to note is that there are different types of gemfan.

ABS with glass fiber fill - is the standard prop and comes in orange green colors as well as black. Although they seem better props than the standard cheapees off ebay etc there have been reports of throwing these props in flight for no good reason where they have split at the hub or close too it. this put me off to some degree and pushed me towards APC. Maybe it is a rare case but I have decided to avoid these for now.

Nylon with Carbon Fill - high strength version. I plan to order some of these and compare to the APC. They should be stiffer but more brittle. Maybe better performance than the APC but still way cheaper than the graupners.

Good range here

I have flown none of these props yet. it is just the opinion I have gathered from reading.

phil
Captain3D is offline Find More Posts by Captain3D
Last edited by Captain3D; Apr 10, 2012 at 08:47 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:43 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
942 Posts
Did a bit of testing today with the APC vs cheap props. I have a GU-INS gps based quad that can hold position and then descend when the battery goes low so a pretty fair comparison.

AUW 1350g
Turnigy 3s 2650 mAH
Tiger motors MT - 2216/11

Gaui 8" props off a 330x = 5:30 mins (too small for this weight)
10" cheapies = 7 mins
APC 10 x 4.7 slowfly = 8 mins
APC 11 x 4.7 slowfly = 8 mins
I thought the 11" might do better as it sounded like it was working less hard to hover but they were almost identical. The 11" might do better on a bigger frame where they have a clearer air flow than my small quad. Both sets were close to balanced out of the bag, but need a minute of sanding to clear off the sharp flashing from the moulding process. They are a boring color but other wise very nice. They feel strong.

Over all I was very happy to see the APC props perform better as well as being more reliable (from what everyone says). I will run the same test with the Gemfan carbon when they arrive next week. And I think I will have to order a set of Graupners now just to see if they are better like everyone says.

cheers...phil
Last edited by Captain3D; Apr 10, 2012 at 08:50 PM.
Old Apr 07, 2012, 04:51 PM
Mmmmmmm!
Kingdom of Sweden, Dalarna County, Sater
Joined Oct 2011
3,352 Posts
I'll take the CF reinforced Gemfans over the SF APCs any day. The APC props I got were recommended for heavy quads, and sure enough my fully loaded quad hovered at around 40% throttle or so. But they were just too floppy in FFF. 8" Gemfans made a huge difference and cut through the air better, but you needed 60-65% throttle to hover. So I got some 9" Gemfans and I believe I need about 55% throttle to get my fully loaded FPV quad into the air. It's a really nice compromise.

Oh yeah, and the 10" Graupners I have are great but they're stuck on a different quad because of the 8mm bore and lack of 5-6mm inserts. For that kind of price they should be included, but they're not. Pah!
WiseDuck is offline Find More Posts by WiseDuck
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:01 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
942 Posts
What is your AUW and how do the flight times differ with the gemfan?

phil
Last edited by Captain3D; Apr 10, 2012 at 08:51 PM.
Old Apr 09, 2012, 02:07 PM
Destroyer of G-10
United States, OR
Joined Jul 2004
10,085 Posts
I want to try the APC EP props. I got a set of 9-4.5's coming, which I will drill out to 8mm for dji motors. I think they will work well with 4S pack and stock DJI motor. EP props will flex less and be stiffer. should be better for AP as well. Only downside to gemfans are small hub size, so they cannot be drilled out.
askman is offline Find More Posts by askman
RCG Plus Member
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:52 PM
------------------------
Joined Jan 2012
942 Posts
Gemfan carbons arrived so adding a few hover results to my tests...

AUW 1350g
Turnigy 3s 2650 mAH
Tiger motors MT - 2216/11

Gemfan 10 x 4.5 = 7:30 mins
So better than the cheapies but not as long a flight as the APC slowfly. I guess the lesser angle of 4.5 vs the APC 4.7 is making a difference here as well.

I like the feel of the prop. Seems strong, has good stiffness. Needed a little balancing otherwise good. I have not hit anything yet so don't know how resistant to breaking they might be.

cheers...phil

Previous tests...
Gaui 8" props off a 330x = 5:30 mins (too small for this weight)
10" cheapies = 7 mins
APC 10 x 4.7 slowfly = 8 mins
APC 11 x 4.7 slowfly = 8 mins