HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 24, 2012, 03:21 AM
Adelaide,Australia
Joined Dec 2009
2,387 Posts
Great stuff G-O!! I would have got a cheap 3ch Hobby king Rx for this project way cheaper than a spektrum jobbie!!

Cheers Bruce

PS its 39.2 deg C here today!! Mmmmm cold #25's (Beer)

WE NEED AN ICE MAKER....not an ICEBREAKER!!
HeavyCruser9 is offline Find More Posts by HeavyCruser9
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 25, 2012, 01:57 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Thanks HC! This one has been fun to work on. been working on my painting skills haha!

We need an ice maker here too!!
The weatehr has been way out of wack this year, I am on an icebreaker on ice stand-by, and we havent seen ice in four days. normally this time of year we are working 24/7 breaking out ice jams to keep the St. Clair River from flooding. Thats why i got work done on the model!!
I painted the hull, and did some more float testing. apparently paint and glue added enough weight to this little thing that I have to start trimming the inside of the super structure to maintain enough float! The Hull is flat black and the bull warks are gloss, I am going to leave the hull flat black to conserve the few grams that i can!

I did also start building the barge shown on an earlier post. the barge itself is made, now I have to make the house and masts/frames. I think it will look really neat when done!

Cheers, and enjoy those #25's! I am gonna have to make my way down there some time in my life and try one or two of those!

G-O
Guard-Officer is online now Find More Posts by Guard-Officer
Old Feb 25, 2012, 02:01 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Thanks for looking guys!
The little Losi pack I have powers the micro trucks for a good 15 minutes or so, I think it should do the trick for this little thing (I hope!)
I'll keep posting when I can, I have to get pics of teh barge I am working on for it.

Cheers
G-O

Quote:
Originally Posted by boater_dave View Post
Sorry, that was meant for the Losi hardware. Before I switched to Lipo, I used a very tiny pack made for sailplanes. Four or five cell, 1/2 or 2/3 AA sized cells and about 300-500mah.
I have used onlybatterypacks.com because they are local to me and supply the hobby shop I frequent. I'm sure the same can be found all over.

http://www.onlybatterypacks.com/items.asp?db=103

Dave
Quote:
Originally Posted by asd9000 View Post
Too cool! keep it up
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeavyCruser9 View Post
Great stuff G-O!! I would have got a cheap 3ch Hobby king Rx for this project way cheaper than a spektrum jobbie!!

Cheers Bruce

PS its 39.2 deg C here today!! Mmmmm cold #25's (Beer)

WE NEED AN ICE MAKER....not an ICEBREAKER!!
Old Feb 26, 2012, 05:55 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Dredge barge

Hi All, Here is a quick pic off my phone of the barge so far. Its not going to be great detailed, but it should be kinda cool any how!
Cheers
G-O
Old Feb 27, 2012, 03:22 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Well I went to my buddies place and tried it out in the tub. unfortunatelt I can't seal the deck until; i get hiome and link it to my controller there. As it turns out, that open deck edge got submerged and we had a near catastrophic leak!! Luckily i just reached out and grabbed the little thing out before any electronics got damaged...
but i did learn that the servo motor is WAY too slow on 4.8 volts. So I am thinking about alternatives for this now. Either a Team Losi brick, or up the voltage. the problem is the servo is only rated for 6 volts, and the Lipo i want to put in it is 7.4, so I don't know if it will handle the voltage. and I don't want to be changing motors in this thing....

stay tuned

Cheers
G-O
Old Mar 20, 2012, 08:23 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Very near completion!!

So big progress!
I have finished all the inner workings and have sealed the decks on. I decided that i didnt want to worry about deck hatches and leaking water into my little project, so i opted to have a nearly sealed unit. The superstructure was siliconed to the deck, and the gear was place in the hull. when i had everything just right, I placed it in the hull and sealed the deck on with silicone. this way I can use an exacto knife and peel it open if anything fails. Where is the charge jack you say?? I consealed it in the stack and wired in a switch using Losi connections. I can turn the gear on and off, and charge it without having to open her up!
I used a nice little Losi Brick with 2.4 Ghz Rx and esc unit from the trail trekker, and a starndard three wire servo. The motor is a high speed unit from the Losi micro trucks. So i cant use it wide open, Maybe some ways down the road I will change that. but it works pretty good for now.

Cheers!!
G-O
Old Mar 20, 2012, 01:50 PM
In The Sorrano Triangle
El Dorado Hills, Calif
Joined Mar 2005
1,023 Posts
don't forget the servo screw
keep up the great job
jim
BOZINATOR is offline Find More Posts by BOZINATOR
Old Mar 22, 2012, 03:12 PM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Thanks Boz,
I did screw the horn down before sealing it. but the ballast is a little off, and the steering trim isnt as nice as i want, So i will peel it up and make some adjustments on it. Took it for a test run, aside from the ballast and steering trim, it works like a charm! now to finish the barge for it and I can start practicing my tug and barge handling!

Cheers
G-O
Old Mar 29, 2012, 10:16 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Superb job on this little tug. I really admire your solutions and how you progressed from servo power to an actual high speed hobby motor. Fine work on the paint and detailing too.

I would love to know your typical run-time duration since you are said to be operating it at tug speeds.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old Mar 29, 2012, 08:15 PM
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
Shes adorable Good job, and i love the paint pattern youve choosen.

These small tugs have something you need to love.
Lichtbote is offline Find More Posts by Lichtbote
Old May 03, 2012, 09:51 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
Well thank you all for the comments, I was pretty fond of this little tug, but unfortunately, disiater struck!!
I think because the water i was running it in was so cold, the hull must have contracted and seperated from the deck. allowing lots of water in, and it sank faster than anything I have ever seen!!!
I will be going back t the location with goggles and try to get the tug back. but no gaurantees how deep the water is. I am pretty un happy with the loss. it was such a neat little tug!! And it was the very first model of mine that sunk!!!
So If i dont recover the original, I will be possibly making another one. this time a little more water tight...

Cheers
G-O
Old May 07, 2012, 11:16 AM
Sometimes I am the weapon
South Korea, Gyeonggi-do, Ansan-si
Joined Jan 2006
1,064 Posts
Oh no, what a horrible loss!

I can only live vicariously through you builders who are able to not just dream but make your dreams reality. I mean to say that I'm away from my work bench on a business assignment and can only observe other's build threads.

Here's to success in your recovery efforts or starting over, whichever the case may be.
Harquebus is offline Find More Posts by Harquebus
RCG Plus Member
Old May 08, 2012, 09:14 AM
Germany
Joined Mar 2012
65 Posts
Im sorry, she was such a cute little boat.

I hope you gonna find her.
Lichtbote is offline Find More Posts by Lichtbote
Old May 08, 2012, 09:40 AM
Canada, ON, Quinte West
Joined Feb 2009
950 Posts
The Hull and deck separating is all i can imagine that caused it. Now that I built the tug once, I can make it again fairly quick, but thats plenty of money to throw at a project again!!

It has been under water now for four weeks. its probably all rusted and toast... but hey! the recovery will be entertaining on its own!
Old May 10, 2012, 07:59 AM
Pilot, Co-pilot, Navagator
United States, AZ, Yuma
Joined Sep 2009
2,788 Posts
ah, thats the saddest most depressing turn i have seen in months. its tragic. it made my heart skip a beat. i so sorry for your loss.
nemoskull is offline Find More Posts by nemoskull