Closed Thread
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:34 AM
Most people are stupid!
Australia, QLD, Gold Coast
Joined Oct 2011
3,381 Posts
Well sucks to be you then
Would have it by now if you did.

(All comments said in jest and not to be taken as personal attack)
dambit is offline Find More Posts by dambit
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 07:03 AM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom Hunt View Post
Leave the man alone.. he's a broken man!

Here ya go Richard
http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617976
I am literally

BUT... I am slowly recovering from that little incident and will soon be back on the flightline
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Apr 12, 2012, 11:36 AM
Prescott, Arizona
Joined Feb 2010
6,759 Posts
It's good to here your recovery is coming along.
Do you have a BF-109 staring at you from the build table?
TripleW is offline Find More Posts by TripleW
Old Apr 12, 2012, 12:33 PM
Wilde Sau
Germany
Joined Sep 2009
3,604 Posts
No, nothing on the way yet... that's why I was so curious, they told me the 109 isn't ready yet and they'd send me a sample once it is about to be released...
Beltpilot is offline Find More Posts by Beltpilot
Old Apr 12, 2012, 02:52 PM
Maurice
Bakersfield, Cal.
Joined Jul 2004
1,051 Posts
I ordered my 109 from Philip at PW-RC yesterday and it shipped out this morning.

Maurice
mpodder is online now Find More Posts by mpodder
Old May 16, 2012, 06:40 AM
London ON Canada
Joined Aug 2011
93 Posts
Missed by a day or two

Ordered my FW190 from BH May 12th. The "springflyer" coupon for free shipping did not apply to Canada so shipping was nearly $50 for a total of $297.

The worst part though is the price dropped from $250 to $230 after the weekend.
While BH is not obliged to provide a refund or a $30 coupon it would be a welcomed jester on their part for future orders. This was my first order from BH.
I've emailed them.
dawnabby is offline Find More Posts by dawnabby
Old May 16, 2012, 10:38 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dawnabby View Post
While BH is not obliged to provide a refund or a $30 coupon it would be a welcomed jester on their part for future orders.
Neil Morse is online now Find More Posts by Neil Morse
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:06 PM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
Hello, I watched a few videos of this plane with the pilots commenting and it looks and sounds like a great flyer. stable, etc.

I read back into Fab 2012 on this thread, but I do not see anything about any issues. any problems? things to watch for? retracts? motor?
It's a very nasty (in a good way) looking bird. I think I need one. I love the fly by sound I'm hearing on the videos too.
Thanks
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Old Jul 02, 2012, 03:41 PM
SCCA, EAA, M.E.
USA, KY, Verona
Joined Nov 2001
3,047 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
lol... I thought only American's couldn't spell!
spinnetti is offline Find More Posts by spinnetti
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Fw-189 6th Scale update
Old Jul 02, 2012, 04:10 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by MNadMan View Post
Hello, I watched a few videos of this plane with the pilots commenting and it looks and sounds like a great flyer. stable, etc.

I read back into Fab 2012 on this thread, but I do not see anything about any issues. any problems? things to watch for? retracts? motor?
It's a very nasty (in a good way) looking bird. I think I need one. I love the fly by sound I'm hearing on the videos too.
Thanks
I'm afraid you have much more reading to do. Here's the thread with all the news about what to watch out for (and there's unfortunately a lot). But yes, by all accounts it's a great flyer, although I still haven't been able to fly mine.

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showthread.php?t=1617976

Neil
Old Jul 02, 2012, 08:08 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,381 Posts
There's not "a lot", there is only a couple of things.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 10:25 PM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
There's not "a lot", there is only a couple of things.
Well, I suppose the term "a lot" is relative, but here's the list I have compiled so far based on what I have read and heard from friends (not personally confirmed because I still have not been able to fly mine even though I got it at the end of April):

1. make sure motor back plate is firmly attached to motor windings or motor will fly apart or burst into flames in flight (dambit take special notice );

2. retracts absolutely will NOT work with certain radio systems (only reliable fix is to replace them with different retracts);

3. tail wheel will fall off unless glued on;

4. landing gear will become loose and develop excessive toe out unless you disassemble it, tighten grub screws, and glue outer plastic housing to metal gear legs in various places;

5. faux oleo struts produce excessive bouncing on landing and are better if you disable the springs.

BUT, as I posted above, everyone says it flies great once you work out these problems.

Does this amount to "a lot" to watch out for? In my experience, yes, it does, but this is my first foamie warbird from FMS, so maybe I'm just not used to what to expect.

Neil

PS: remembered one additional mod: trim bottom of gear doors so they won't hit the ground and break off on landing.
Last edited by Neil Morse; Jul 02, 2012 at 11:10 PM. Reason: remembered addition to list.
Old Jul 02, 2012, 11:48 PM
Most people are stupid!
Joined Oct 2011
3,381 Posts
Neil,

Allow me to retort (I love this part)

Point 1: Yes check the motor! However the first batch of motors are all identifiable by the lack of an FMS logo on the bell housing. If there is no logo check the motor. IMO it's negligent to not check the motor out regardless of the brand.

Point 2: I agree this has been an issue for some. But not for me or anyone else (apparently) who uses a spectrum Tx with a Hobby King Orange 6ch Rx. Or combinations of BEC's

Point 3: Never had an issue with the tail wheel. I did however swap out the wheel axle (screw) with a metal rod because it's better.

Point 4: All landing gear, regardless of brand, will require regular checks and maintenance.

Point 5: The bounce is mainly due to bad landing technique and has very little to do with the springs in the struts. The real plane bounced a lot also, so I chock it up to "scale characteristic"

This plane is great in the air. On the stock setup (4s) I clocked it using a GPS doing 130kph on a calmish day flying flat. I now fly with a 5s and have not gone WOT yet because I have yet to upgrade my ESC. But it is already faster than that at 2/3 throttle. It is also great flying at scale speeds and always manages to attract a small crowd of old guys remembering them from the war days. (or a group of annoying kids)

Every plane has some amount of out of the box issues, and generally most of them become non issues once everything is checked over.

Hope this helps.

Cheers,

Steve
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:08 AM
Registered Snoozer
San Francisco, CA, USA
Joined Jul 1999
6,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dambit View Post
This plane is great in the air.
It also looks great on the ground, and has the most scale landing gear of any FW-190 of its size that has ever been produced.

Let's just stick to what we agree about. I am not suggesting for a minute that this model is not worth buying. I have no regrets, and I'm really looking forward to flying mine once I get the new retracts installed. All I said was there were "a lot" of issues that need sorting out. You insist that there are not "a lot," but only "a couple" of issues. Seems like a silly argument to me.

Neil
Old Jul 03, 2012, 09:15 AM
Add Lightness
United States, MN, Minneapolis
Joined Dec 2011
301 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Neil Morse View Post
Well, I suppose the term "a lot" is relative, but here's the list I have compiled so far based on what I have read and heard from friends (not personally confirmed because I still have not been able to fly mine even though I got it at the end of April):

1. make sure motor back plate is firmly attached to motor windings or motor will fly apart or burst into flames in flight (dambit take special notice );

2. retracts absolutely will NOT work with certain radio systems (only reliable fix is to replace them with different retracts);

3. tail wheel will fall off unless glued on;

4. landing gear will become loose and develop excessive toe out unless you disassemble it, tighten grub screws, and glue outer plastic housing to metal gear legs in various places;

5. faux oleo struts produce excessive bouncing on landing and are better if you disable the springs.

BUT, as I posted above, everyone says it flies great once you work out these problems.

Does this amount to "a lot" to watch out for? In my experience, yes, it does, but this is my first foamie warbird from FMS, so maybe I'm just not used to what to expect.

Neil

PS: remembered one additional mod: trim bottom of gear doors so they won't hit the ground and break off on landing.

sheeesh! serious motor and retract problems on a foam plane that is $199 + shipping???
I think I'll wait for v2 updates (fixes) and a sale - like Black Friday. I don't want to spend that much and have to replace the motor & retracts. also defeats 1/2 the purpose of buying a plane with the electronics already installed = less work.
MNadMan is offline Find More Posts by MNadMan
Closed Thread