HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:10 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Discussion
What All Do You Get With The Walkera UFO MX400?

I am an 82 year old retired photographer who is looking to get into making aerial videos from a hovercraft. I am interested in the Walkera UFO MX400, but I am pretty confused with all the apparently different configurations. I can't seem to determine a clear distinction in the packages offered by different sellers on the Internet. Different sellers seem to include or exclude different accessories. Since I have one of the new Walkera UFO 5# machines, I already have the proper battery charger and I have a Devo 7 transmitter which, I understand, will work with the MX400. I am, therefore, seeking a package that contains the quad and all the accessories except the transmitter and battery charger. I will also need instruction on how to make the Devo 7 transmitter work with the MX400. Can anyone help me with all of that? If so, how much do you think a package like that will cost?

Thank you guys for any advice you can provide.

Christopher R. Mohr Sr.
ChrisMohrSr is offline Find More Posts by ChrisMohrSr
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 05, 2012, 11:24 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Hi Christopher,
I got mine at wowhobbies.com - I think they can get you a basic package without radio and without the telemetry stuff. I believe the telemetry stuff just shows you speed, height, GPS location, and temp, etc. (big deal) - I ordered mine without.

My MX400 came with instructions on a CD for the Devo7 radio. Don't know about price - but I'll bet you can get it in the low to mid 300 dollar range without radio. Ebay has em at 345 without radio or telemetry.

Mine did not come with a camera mount - wowhobbies did not have it in stock yet.

From what I can tell this Quad is relatively new and only a few retailers in the US have it.
bassmanb is offline Find More Posts by bassmanb
Old Feb 08, 2012, 01:54 AM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Ufo mx400

Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanb View Post
Hi Christopher,
I got mine at wowhobbies.com - I think they can get you a basic package without radio and without the telemetry stuff. I believe the telemetry stuff just shows you speed, height, GPS location, and temp, etc. (big deal) - I ordered mine without.

My MX400 came with instructions on a CD for the Devo7 radio. Don't know about price - but I'll bet you can get it in the low to mid 300 dollar range without radio. Ebay has em at 345 without radio or telemetry.

Mine did not come with a camera mount - wowhobbies did not have it in stock yet.

From what I can tell this Quad is relatively new and only a few retailers in the US have it.
I hope I'm entering this right.

I am waiting for the arrival of my MX400 bassmanb. I am getting (I hope) the quad, a battery and those cool LED landing lights.

I have been looking at the Airy-Cam-LE-0058 digital video camera which seems perfect for the MX400, but there don't seem to be any reviews or footage shot with it on you tube. It kinda looks too good to be true.

I will make another entry when I get my bird.
Old Feb 09, 2012, 02:58 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
I'm in exactly your position Chris, just about 20 years younger...
My MX400 arrived about a week ago and I'm having fun attempting to reprogram the Devo7 to drive it. It's a pity you can't just download a basic setting for each model and tweak it to your requirements. Using the settings for the UFO#5 mark2 and it's way too sensitive. If I work it out I'll let you know.
This thing is scary flying inside just by the noise alone. The MX400 has a fair bit of mass behind it, the blades are very strong and go very fast to get off the ground and if it hits anything something nasty is definitely going to happen!
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Feb 10, 2012, 02:31 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by smokes View Post
I'm in exactly your position Chris, just about 20 years younger...
My MX400 arrived about a week ago and I'm having fun attempting to reprogram the Devo7 to drive it. It's a pity you can't just download a basic setting for each model and tweak it to your requirements. Using the settings for the UFO#5 mark2 and it's way too sensitive. If I work it out I'll let you know.
This thing is scary flying inside just by the noise alone. The MX400 has a fair bit of mass behind it, the blades are very strong and go very fast to get off the ground and if it hits anything something nasty is definitely going to happen!
From what I understand smokes, the MX400 is supposed to come with a "bind plug", with which you can make your Rx adjust to whatever Tx you have. Google "bind plug rc" and read the explanation someone has posted there. I watched a video of the MX400 being unboxed and did see a bind plug in one of the accessory envelopes. I will make more sense when I get my bird.
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:01 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
My MX400 came with the Devo 8s (but with Devo 7 instructions). However out of the box it came ready to fly and tested from wowhobbies. I've powered it up and tested the controls - but have not flown it. I ended up buying a Blade MQX to practice with until I understand the dynamics of flying these things.
bassmanb is offline Find More Posts by bassmanb
Old Feb 12, 2012, 04:51 AM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by bassmanb View Post
My MX400 came with the Devo 8s (but with Devo 7 instructions). However out of the box it came ready to fly and tested from wowhobbies. I've powered it up and tested the controls - but have not flown it. I ended up buying a Blade MQX to practice with until I understand the dynamics of flying these things.
Speaking of wrong instructions. I requested a tracking number from my vendor and I received a reply email . . . . in Chinese. Best out loud laugh I've had in a long time.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 01:43 PM
Cranky old fart
Germantown, WI.
Joined Oct 2007
21,485 Posts
I'm kind of confused. I'd like the version that has the 4 short legs, which I thought was the basic body. I don't want the version that has the two tall metal legs, which I thought was the professional model. But, all the ads say basic model, but show the version with two tall metal legs. Also, some images show the basic all black canopy and others show a canopy with a metalic blue center section. But, nothing mentions which canopy belongs to which version.

I'm thinking of buying the basic version with no transmitter from Wow as I already have a Devo 7.
Balr14 is offline Find More Posts by Balr14
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:08 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Bad Battery?

Well, I got my bird today. I also got my Airy-Cam-LE-5800 digital camera and video recorder monitor. I didn't expect HD video, but I did expect a User Manual in English. Didn't get it. The damn thing is in Chinese. Then, to top that one, it seems the 11.1v battery I got for my bird is defective. I've had it on the charger for almost three hours and the Walkera charger light still won't turn green. Now I have never charged a 2200mAh 11.1v 15C battery before so I don't know how long it takes to charge a new battery, but it seems to me that it should not take as long as it is taking. Tomorrow I'll have to take out my Thunder Dual Power AC680 charger and try to determine if this battery is bad.

On the plus side my MX400 is rather good looking and the brushless motors are beautiful. I am a little bit daunted by the thought of installing those LED lights. The wiring and connectors are so tiny I can probably mess them up without putting too much effort into the task.

Any comments will be very welcome.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 07:23 PM
United States, CO, Castle Rock
Joined Dec 2011
1,417 Posts
Yes, the LED connectors are stupid small. I haven't put all of the LED's on yet, just some strips on the arms so far until I decide how I want to run the wiring better.

The first charge can take a long ass time, usually not more than a few hours. If it doesn't complete the charge it could be either the battery or the charger.

The plastic LED legs are only available on special order now, the default is the metal legs. My understanding is also that the MX400 v1 had the blue top and the v2 has the black top. At least thats what the guys at WowHobbies told me.
KGarrison is offline Find More Posts by KGarrison
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2012, 09:45 PM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by KGarrison View Post
Yes, the LED connectors are stupid small. I haven't put all of the LED's on yet, just some strips on the arms so far until I decide how I want to run the wiring better.

The first charge can take a long ass time, usually not more than a few hours. If it doesn't complete the charge it could be either the battery or the charger.

The plastic LED legs are only available on special order now, the default is the metal legs. My understanding is also that the MX400 v1 had the blue top and the v2 has the black top. At least thats what the guys at WowHobbies told me.
Well, I know it's not the charger because I have two of them and I have used both to charge the battery for my UFO 5#. Then, even if one went bad, the likelihood of both going bad at the same time is quite remote.

My bird came with the black top AND the plastic LED legs AND the metal legs. Maybe I just got in under the wire.

I just put the battery back on one of my GA005 chargers a few minutes ago, but I don't think that light is going to turn green.

One of my main concerns now is making my Devo 7 Tx love my bird.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:08 AM
ChrisMohrSr
Homeland, CA
Joined Nov 2009
76 Posts
I thought I would get away from the stressful situation involving my apparently bad battery by turning my attention to the LED lights. Bad move.
Applying the strips to the plastic legs was simple and straightforward, but trying to make head or tail out of the rest of the twisted hair thin wires and tiny connectors would turn my hair white . . . if it weren't already. If anyone out there has made a schematic of how these strips are laid out and applied, I will be forever grateful if you would post it for me.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 12:02 PM
Joined Dec 2011
1,417 Posts
well...its really personal choice. What I did was to start with the one that has the connector to go to the board. You should have 2 white strips and 2 red strips attached to that. I put the white on the front (yes, on the red arms...really Walkera?) and the red ones on the rear arms. That's really all I have done for now just for increased orientation visibility.

Next you have a string with 4 strips inline connected to some kind of module. That module is a blinker unit. The four strips will circle around the outside of either the top or bottom shell if you wish to use them.

That will leave 2 more red and 2 more white strips to use as you see fit.
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 14, 2012, 11:54 PM
Smokes
Australia, VIC, Kilsyth
Joined Jul 2007
220 Posts
Me? I've left the lights off completely until I figure out the rest of it. I'm using the Devo7 controller that came with the new version UFO5 to drive the MX400 and it certainly works well. Mine had the little link too Chris but it seems I don't need to use it with the Devo7. I've reduced the elevator & aileron settings on the Devo7 to +/-50% and for me it's made a world of difference - hovering inside the workshop easily. The noise it makes is magnificent

One question for the rest of you: Why is the front of the MX400 RED when all the other quads I've seen have red at the back?
smokes is offline Find More Posts by smokes
Old Feb 15, 2012, 12:13 AM
Joined Dec 2011
1,417 Posts
I agree, they should have used any color but red. If you didn't see it, I did a full review today.
http://droneflyers.com/2012/02/revie...00-quadcopter/
Site Sponsor