HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:43 PM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2008
141 Posts
Question
SAD BUT TRUE dead stick with a bad servo

Edge 540 60" blue. as i doing my flying routine and all other 3d stuff, i notice my rudder just froze and at that point i was up for approx 3 minutes already with 50% strength left to go, everything else still functioning ok, but as i approach for an emergency landing it stall on me about 4 second before landing, so instead i had a nose dive straight to the hard ground, still recovered ok with just the whole motor mount shift like a inch and 1/2 in, anyway my question is can this really happened when you have a servo go bad? its pretty rare to me, very first time it happened since my five years of flying... thanks SAD BUT TRUE
davhigher is offline Find More Posts by davhigher
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:31 PM
United States, NH, Suncook
Joined Oct 2010
529 Posts
yes servos can fail at any time,bad pot or stripped gears to burnt out motor or amp/
sagomon is online now Find More Posts by sagomon
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by sagomon View Post
yes servos can fail at any time,bad pot or stripped gears to burnt out motor or amp/
yest i totally understand that nature but how could that effect the whole system and shut everything down. now that's very rare to me. cos i double check everything after the crash and it seem fine except that one servo
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:55 PM
EIEIEIO Classic is dway ta go!
Northeast Pa. .Heyna or No?
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
A servo can fail and take down the entire receiver. Rare but it happens. Especially if using a Spektrum,it could put a load on it and it will brown out causing loss of signal.
flyinwalenda is online now Find More Posts by flyinwalenda
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:57 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Nov 2006
2,627 Posts
I'd check that ESC out before flying again. That happened to me twice. It turned out to be the ESC going bad. Took me till the second crash to learn that.
Toker is offline Find More Posts by Toker
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:54 AM
USA, CA, Fresno
Joined Nov 2008
141 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
A servo can fail and take down the entire receiver. Rare but it happens. Especially if using a Spektrum,it could put a load on it and it will brown out causing loss of signal.

i did a test flight yesterday afternoon with a new servo and it seem fine, plus i using a way too big esc 100 ice so i almost gurantee that the esc should be ok, but, why you mention Spektrum? what about other RX cos that's what i have Spektrum thanks for sharing guys, i guess my next question is what's the life of these servos cos in my case the rudder servo is the most get use
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:59 AM
I think I forgot how to fly RC
United States, WA, Woodinville
Joined Mar 2007
8,063 Posts
you might wish to provide details.

such as what servo, what type of battery/ubec if you used one, etc

If you were just powering everything from the Ice 100, then its very possible that the failed servo was drawing alot of amps which could have overheated the esc's bec and caused it to shut down momentarily.
cryhavoc38 is online now Find More Posts by cryhavoc38
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:15 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
I didn't know if you were running electric or gas/nitro but either way a servo can fail/short and as stated, put a increased load on the battery or in your case the regulator(bec) powering the receiver. It could drop the voltage enough so the receiver looses power. I've seen more Spektrum receivers brown-out due to low or lower voltages than other receivers. Seems they are a bit more sensitive.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:27 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,988 Posts
I had something similar happen a few weeks ago. A servo went bad and overloaded the BEC in the ESC causing the BEC to shut down and without any power obviously all control was lost. I was very lucky as it happenned at the exact moment that i was doing a low and slow pass, and the plane landed itself without any more damage than jarring a screw loose on the landing gear

I'd argue that it's not anything to do with Spektrum, yes that is what I was using but if the BEC shuts down then it makes no difference what RC gear you are running, your gonna loose all control. Even the new Hitec gear that has auxiliary power to the receiver direct from the battery would fail under such circumstances because the servos are still powered by the BEC. In the case of my failure the three remaining good servos were randomly twitching but there was no actual control. The RC stayed dead until I disconnected the faulty servo.

Steve
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Last edited by JetPlaneFlyer; Feb 03, 2012 at 01:11 PM.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:05 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
True and unless you have data logging no one will ever know what really happened other than a regulator shutdown or a receiver brown-out.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:11 PM
United States, IN, Indianapolis
Joined Dec 2006
2,276 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by flyinwalenda View Post
Why especially if using a Spektrum? Can not a servo take down a Futaba, Hitec or other brand of receiver?
racin06 is offline Find More Posts by racin06
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:47 PM
Grumpy old git.. Who me?
Aberdeen
Joined Mar 2006
11,988 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by racin06 View Post
Why especially if using a Spektrum? Can not a servo take down a Futaba, Hitec or other brand of receiver?
That was the point I tried to make in my previous post.. If a shorted servo takes out the BEC then your in big trouble whatever RC brand your using.
There might be more problems with Spektrum but that's almost certainly for the simple reason that there are more flying with Spektrum
JetPlaneFlyer is offline Find More Posts by JetPlaneFlyer
Old Feb 03, 2012, 03:04 PM
Joined Aug 2009
2,071 Posts
Quote:
As stated, I've had a servo short ,loading down the rx pack and eventually the receiver lost power and the plane lost control. It was a Futaba 72 receiver. Some of the Spektrum receivers (not all)are very sensitive to input voltage drops/fluctuations and brown-out easily. They don't have to loose input power.
Sounds like this was a case of loosing input power completely to the receiver.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:20 PM
TEAM EXTREME / HORIZON HOBBY
United States, NJ, Tuckerton
Joined Oct 2006
608 Posts
Quote:
It could do it just as easy with other brand receivers too....
mxcop is online now Find More Posts by mxcop
Old Feb 03, 2012, 04:51 PM
Fly Low, Fly 3d, Repair Often
United States, OK, Weatherford
Joined Jun 2011
2,734 Posts
my buddy just crashed his 100CC Aeroworks extra 300. It was its 3rd flight I believe. Engine died in a hover and the rest is history. He claimed to have 5000$ in the airplane. But he buys rediculously expensive parts.
davebloomer is offline Find More Posts by davebloomer