HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 02, 2012, 01:46 PM
No this is not a "model" 1911!
United States, NV, Henderson
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Question
What kind of connectors are these?!

Ended up buying some used 5000mAh 4S lipo batteries with 10AWG wires and these strange bullet-type connectors (see the picture). The female connector's diameter is approximately 10mm. I have never seen the 8mm bullet connectors up close, but I am pretty sure these are not those... the male connector is about 15mm long (the bullet part that enters the female connector that is). The exterior of the female connector's cylinder is 25mm long/tall... The batteries were custom-made by some company in Germany, but I searched their website (god bless Google Translate!) and could not find any reference made to any connectors even remotely close to these. Why I care so much is that I want to know if these are capable of some crazy high amperage and if so, how much... I have heard that Deans connectors can handle up to 200 amp just fine. My application wouldn't require more than that. So I may just change the connectors at some point, but another challenge I am facing is that 10AWG wires. The other day I tried to solder Deans to a 12AWG battery and it was a pain in the . I admit I am not soldering expert but it was a piece of cake when I soldered some Deans to 16ga wires. Anyway I digress...

Anyone has seen these connectors before? The guy I bought these from was essentially clueless about the connectors--even more so than I am... I just need some technical info on them if possible.

Thanks in advance,
The Big One
The Big One is offline Find More Posts by The Big One
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:09 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,573 Posts
Use a caliper to measure these. 10mm is HUGE. I have up to 6.5mm, never seen 10mm yet but it has to happen.
IMO, get some 6mm or 6.5mm and use those. 10mm may be hard to find here.
The shrink is just that, shrink, and avialable most anywhere that sells shrink.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:36 PM
Joined Aug 2011
714 Posts
Almost looks like an RCA jack.
UlteriorModem is offline Find More Posts by UlteriorModem
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:41 PM
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by rampman View Post
Use a caliper to measure these. 10mm is HUGE. I have up to 6.5mm, never seen 10mm yet but it has to happen.
IMO, get some 6mm or 6.5mm and use those. 10mm may be hard to find here.
The shrink is just that, shrink, and avialable most anywhere that sells shrink.

Rick
Will definitely use a caliper tonight to measure them... but I am almost 100% positive the outer diameter of the female connector is 10mm (of course, not including the shrink!)

Quote:
Originally Posted by UlteriorModem View Post
Almost looks like an RCA jack.
Funny you should say that because as it turns out, RCA jack happens to be 10mm in diameter as well... read it somewhere as I was researching this last night!

These are huge! Somehow creepy looking; since the + & gnd wires are separate entirely, it makes me want to connect the same battery's male to the female! Am I weird to even think that?! That will not be fun at all...
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:47 PM
Southern Pride
Haralson County GA. USA
Joined Oct 2004
34,364 Posts
SIze is inside of female not outside.

My 6 mm females measure 0.236" inside and 0.272 outside.

Charles
everydayflyer is offline Find More Posts by everydayflyer
Old Feb 02, 2012, 02:51 PM
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Thanks for the clarification, Charles. I'll measure them both ways anyway using a caliper tonight...
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:24 PM
Frankenstein recycled packs
USA, AZ, Gilbert
Joined Jan 2006
8,573 Posts
Again, outside don't matter, just the inside. (ID)
I don't see RCA in these at all. RCA's have a male inner and female outter. This is not like that; just a simple bullet connector.
Oh, put a spark arrestor resistor on that pack.

Rick
rampman is online now Find More Posts by rampman
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Nov 2011
76 Posts
Sure enough, they are 8mm... Sorry guys! Should've measured the inside. Well, now I know. Thanks for all the help...