SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:27 PM
North West UK
Joined Nov 2010
349 Posts
Discussion
Phoenix 4

This looks interesting. Not bothered about the in cockpit view though.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...8_phoenix.html
Roblister is offline Find More Posts by Roblister
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:59 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
Kinda morphing into a video game. Infinityscape will only apply to fpv or chase view. Those are the 3 big changes.
I know lots of people wanted fpv, but would have been nice tp see changes for the rest of us too.
karlik is offline Find More Posts by karlik
Old Feb 02, 2012, 12:03 AM
Stress Be Gone
Snohomish, WA
Joined May 2000
3,405 Posts
If those are the only changes, I think I'll be leaving Phoenix behind. There are lots of stuff people have been wishing for and this certainly doesn't even begin to touch it. How disappointing.
GBR2 is offline Find More Posts by GBR2
Old Feb 02, 2012, 03:28 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
Surely there's more than what's listed... any one have any links to blogs or in person accounts of their presence at the toy fair?
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:31 AM
Registered Addict
United Kingdom, Stoke-on-Trent
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
I thinks the new changes are great shame about not being able to create your own planes but you can make your own scenarios which is awesome !
Kris... is offline Find More Posts by Kris...
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:41 AM
United States, NC, Goldsboro
Joined Mar 2011
393 Posts
I found a blog that may be more descriptive about the product, but can't open it at work so it may just be what we already know...

http://blog.laurencegough.com/2012/0...c-sim-v4-info/
MyPonyRocks is offline Find More Posts by MyPonyRocks
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:45 AM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Roblister View Post
This looks interesting. Not bothered about the in cockpit view though.

http://www.horizonhobby.co.uk/aeroon...8_phoenix.html
This is a necessary set of features for them to stay competitive. But in my book, they are missing the really big feature they need, user created aircraft. Some of the models that users are creating for Realflight are nothing short of spectacular.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Feb 02, 2012, 07:57 AM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Madratter View Post
This is a necessary set of features for them to stay competitive. But in my book, they are missing the really big feature they need, user created aircraft. Some of the models that users are creating for Realflight are nothing short of spectacular.
Maybe thats where the bit... features as they become available come's in to play.

If your going to be able to create you own landscapes then surly its only a matter of time before they add the feature of being able to create your own models .
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:32 AM
United States, MI, Grand Rapids
Joined Jun 2007
113 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Maybe thats where the bit... features as they become available come's in to play.

If your going to be able to create you own landscapes then surly its only a matter of time before they add the feature of being able to create your own models .
I hope so, Hope they are not getting caught up in the eye candy/gaming aspect. I think that if they dont allow user created planes they are missing the mark. Most of the other sims if not all are doing this and creates a massive following , and gives the choice of brand/models the distributor does not carry. And if you look at at other user content sites, yes many modelers might miss the mark as far as the physics of the model they create (Cant know how every plane flies) but there are many folks out there that can update a av that will bring the model in line how the plane flies in the real world as proof in the threads "schemes and av,s for Phoenix"

Brentg
brentg is offline Find More Posts by brentg
Last edited by brentg; Feb 02, 2012 at 08:45 AM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 08:47 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
I'd like to see phoenixcreator updated and decent tutorial included. I've tried to create a field but the included tutorial ends long before the flying field is finished.
I did enough gmax work on scenery for flightsim that I'm sure I could do some good aircraft models if they added it, not so sure about the physics part.

Kinda makes me wonder if it'll still be #1 when I answer what to buy threads?
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:42 AM
Joined Aug 2011
7 Posts
Anybody know when it will be released??
beerad4 is offline Find More Posts by beerad4
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:10 AM
Lost in the Sky
United States, WY, Sweetwater
Joined Oct 2010
52 Posts
I've been wanting FPV for a long time. I mean, this is a big update, and you can't fault them for wanting to include features that most sims have...they have to stay competitive. Sounds like there are also some other features for regular simulation that sound great. Guys, you can't really expect TOO much from just a one version upgrade....including FPV is a HUGE upgrade. And, besides, we previous owners get it for the low low cost of FREE!!! Can't say that for other sims. Phoenix is/was and always will be my favorite - hands down.
Windytech is offline Find More Posts by Windytech
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:16 PM
Registered Addict
Joined Jul 2010
5,247 Posts
Who said its FREE ????
Old Feb 03, 2012, 05:13 PM
Joined Jul 2011
721 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Kris... View Post
Who said its FREE ????
In my opinion, they have built themselves into a box. One of the prime reasons people buy Phoenix over Realflight is the upgrade for free thing. If they switch that, then I don't think you are going to find a lot of people buying Phoenix in the future.

On the otherhand, it does eventually handcuff them for money UNLESS the turnover in the hobby is pretty fast. Then there would always be new people to buy it and fund continued work on it.

I don't have #s on any of this, but you can be pretty sure they do.
Madratter is offline Find More Posts by Madratter
Old Feb 03, 2012, 08:18 PM
Closed Account
Joined Apr 2010
1,025 Posts
At some point there will be a charge (not sure if this will be it), and probably some sort of verification check for pirate copies (not sure how they'll do it, but I'm pretty sure they'll find a way).
It would have to be a substantial upgrade to justify charging current users, and I don't think FPV and endless scenery will be it.
What I kinda expect (and even hope) to see in the near future is a new version of PhoenixCreator that's easier to use and will create new aircraft and scenery as a separate purchase item. Keep in mind right now phoenixcreator is called a beta so they haven't really committed to the final version being free.
Be honest - if you had to pay for a new version of the sim, or pay a reasonable price for the tool to make your own scenery/aircraft which would you rather see?