HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 07:43 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
451 Posts
Discussion
Los Angeles Multirotor/UAV Clubs

Does anyone 'out there' know of a Multirotor/UAV club ot group around Los Angeles? I've successfully built and currently flying a gyro only controlled tricopter. My next step is to replace the gyros with the Multiwii Paris FC bd. The Multiwii Paris FC bd has tremendous capabilities (altitude hold, GPS, etc) that is abit overwhelming for an old timer like myself. I would like to personally interface with people that have successfully done this.
Thanks!
rhokita is offline Find More Posts by rhokita
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:31 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
it would be great if someone had access to a large indoor area (warehouse or gym) in the LA area..

local pilots should chime in
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:41 AM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
451 Posts
LA multirotor club?

I usually fly from either Genser park in Torrance (AM weekdays) or Friendship park (weekends) in Palos Verdes. Both are great for small to medium RC electrics (fixed wing and helios) with lots of soft grass for landing. If you time it right, the parks are empty, so you don't have to worry about spectators. Both parks are kinda hidden with large open area for flying, hence lightly used, except for locals. I've also flown at Alondra Park (light poles in the middle, easy to fly around) in Carson, which is almost always vacant.
Still looking around for an indoor site.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:10 AM
United States, CA, Los Angeles
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I live not far from you, I am located in Inglewood CA. Would be nice to have a clue or regular meet.
rimshotcopter is offline Find More Posts by rimshotcopter
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:22 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
451 Posts
Yes, It would be nice to have a informal meet somewhere every so often. We can learn and help each other. Hopefully, others will respond. Maybe there's something already done with one of the local schools or universities.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 04:27 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Here is an AMA airfield in San Pedro however I have not been there.

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=33.762...78125&t=m&z=16
Last edited by rimshotcopter; Feb 02, 2012 at 05:47 PM.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:46 PM
My RC builds in my profile.
Joined Feb 2011
2,572 Posts
downtown/east LA
daign is offline Find More Posts by daign
Old Feb 02, 2012, 05:56 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Wow, this is starting to shape up.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 06:08 PM
Joined Aug 2007
414 Posts
a monthly or bi-monthly meet would be cool...

anywhere around Gardena to Inglewood to LAX or Santa Monica area (South\West LA) would be good for me
SGsoar is offline Find More Posts by SGsoar
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:42 PM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
451 Posts
LA multirotor club?

I've flown the San Pedro AMA RC site (Fields of Dream) a long time ago...before it was officially a RC site. It's a great flying site for flying small to big electrics fixed wing, helios and sailplanes. Nowadays, you need a AMA card and pay $5.00 to fly weekends and $10.00 for weekdays. It does get alittle crowded on the weekends.
I don't fly there anymore. Still, it is a viable place to meet if we can't find any other.

You might take a look at Friendship Park in Palos Verdes:

http://maps.google.com/maps?q=Friend...90732&t=h&z=19

Everytime I've flown there the park is empty, maybe a dog walker every so often. The locals are very friendly. The scenery is great!
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:49 PM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
I have flown at Friendship Park, great place to fly during the weekdays but soccer Paradise on the weekend.
Old Feb 02, 2012, 09:49 PM
Suspended Account
United States, IL, Chicago
Joined Dec 2006
8,649 Posts
east west multi clubs?
Quad_Addict is offline Find More Posts by Quad_Addict
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 12:31 AM
Pico Rivera, CA
Joined Apr 2004
285 Posts
You guys can count me in on a meet. I fly every weekend at whittier narrows field. Im the only one flying in FPV there.
teebok is offline Find More Posts by teebok
Old Feb 03, 2012, 07:09 AM
Joined Aug 2009
11,707 Posts
Here is a great location for the weekdays and sometimes on the weekends located next to a golf course. I like it because if I loose control of the aircraft, there is all that green for it to come down with less probability of harming someone.

http://g.co/maps/5hp9b
Old Feb 03, 2012, 09:55 AM
gardena, ca
Joined Feb 2003
451 Posts
LA multirotor club?

rimshotcopter, I know Alondra park very well. I use to run there before my doc told me to layoff running on grass. Do you fly from the baseball field on the middle of MB blvd? What time do you fly? Maybe I'll try to time my runs there again and bring some of my RC toys to fly after my run.
Btw, my tricopter is the older gyro type. I'm in the process of upgrading it to muiltiwii FC. Haven't got all the parts yet, just ordered the usb ftdi bd. Hopefully this is the last thing I need to setup the FC Bd.
I plan on making a quad later on. Trying to find the best deals or Hobby King to restock, whichever comes first.
Btw, I think Guenser park is better for fixed wing, since it has less trees, Alondra Park appears to be great for copters and slow flyers.