HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 04:50 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
Discussion
been away for 22 year, what happened to F1?

Would love to find a Dara, we called it "Miss Dara" back then.

Frank
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Last edited by countilaw; May 05, 2012 at 03:42 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 03, 2012, 11:22 PM
Joined Feb 2011
42 Posts
Whatever happened to...

Hi Frank,

One possible source would be Paul's Flying Stuff. Otherwise you will have to check the classified here and at RCU. Fleabay is another possible place to find one.

To me it seemed the NMPRA morphed quarter midget and formula one together to form the current Q-40. I guess participation in F-1 was dwindling and Quarter Mdiget was all but dead. FAI seems to be only held to qualify for the worlds.

There are allot of sport classes that can be fun as well as easier on the pocket book.

If you want to go budget-blasting, then there is the giant scale racing classes.

You just have to pick your poison and go for it

Carlos G.
Carlos G is offline Find More Posts by Carlos G
Old Feb 04, 2012, 05:34 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
Hi Frank, I was in a similar situation when I came back to RC in 2008. Where the heck was the F-1. Yep, it is now Q40.

I am working my way back up there but am also racing the biological clock. I have raced mostly Club 40 as it is the most plentiful racing around and there are a lot of senior racers in Club 40. If you are on the West Coast you have Warbird Racing available to you. I really like the Warbird series as the rules are the least restrictive of all the current classes. In Gold Warbird you will have YS-110's stuffed in a 550 sq. in wing pl;ane running 60% Nitro running an APC 13X13 1/2 prop running 150 mph. Alas, they only run them currently as far east as Phoenix I think.

I am moving into 424 Quickies this year and possibly 426. There are lots of great racing options out there with the same like minded great folks that use to run F-1
I Marauderer is offline Find More Posts by I Marauderer
Old Feb 04, 2012, 01:39 PM
Aka: Tom Jenkins
Palm Beach County, Fl.
Joined Aug 2008
4,447 Posts
Now there E F-1 check the electric forums! A bunch of designs in electric that cook!
A bit easier on the pocket than the ole F-1 gassers of the day!
ApexAero is online now Find More Posts by ApexAero
Old Feb 04, 2012, 04:08 PM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I hear you Apex, but I just love the sound of a nitro motor and the smell of the fuel. I am waiting for the EF-1 "Outrageous" to come out and i will get a couple of them.

Electrics are great for some.

Frank it is another option and that may be the one for you.
Old Feb 05, 2012, 06:48 PM
Suspended Account
United States, TX, Grand Prairie
Joined Jan 2012
239 Posts
I don't know Marauder, It seems like it would be going from a full blown Hemi, to a Volkswagon by going electric. And most of the fun was building the plane, none of this foamy stuff.

I can't seem to find many races around my area. The economy has gotten everything shot to hell.
countilaw is offline Find More Posts by countilaw
Last edited by countilaw; May 05, 2012 at 03:43 PM.
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 06, 2012, 04:49 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
I had a Stafford Ricky Rat that I think was 54" w.s. and I think most of the wingspans are comparable. The Q40 fuselage, tail feathers, wing thickness are all much smaller than an F1. Like the old drag racing Altereds of the 60's compared to the Funny cars of today.

I live in the Metro Atlanta area and have to go to Andersonville, GA (150 mi. one way) to race C40 or 424. That is the closest. My next race will be in Mulberry, FL (450 mi one way). If you want to race R/C planes you are either going to have to travel or start your own event in your area.

I race a lot of two pol;e racing as real estate has become an issue for a loty of clubs and the amount of property that you need is a lot less than three pole requires. Two pole opens up a lot more places to race. Now I was raised on three pole racing and it will always be my favorite but I promote two pole all the time. Went to Knoxville, TN three weekends ago and gave a two pole C40 demonstration. I took my pylons and had a friend come over from the Nashville area to assist. Anyway, Ya do what you can and don't worry about the rest.

Frank I looked at your bio and could see what area you are from. either post it or PM me and I can see if there is something close to you (<100 mi)
Old Feb 07, 2012, 08:44 AM
USA
Joined Jul 2002
771 Posts
Guys the difference between Q-40 and F1 is:

Fuselage height for F1 was 7". QM is 6" if your airplane has a belly mounted radiator (mustang style) or 5" for non radiator airplanes.

Wing area for F1 was 450 sq inches, Q-40 is 400 sq inches.

Side exhaust is required for Q-40 rather than rear in F1.

15% versus 65% nitro.

Minimum weight 5lbs for F1 and 4lbs for Q-40.

DK
dkane is offline Find More Posts by dkane
Old Feb 07, 2012, 11:23 AM
Powder Springs, GA
Joined Oct 2008
334 Posts
Ah, thanks, I haven't followed it that close but did know about the 15% fuel.
Old Feb 10, 2012, 09:14 PM
Joined Mar 2003
3,036 Posts
[QUOTE=countilaw;20653269]I don't know Marauder, It seems like it would be going from a full blown Hemi, to a Volkswagon by going electric.

If you've been away 22 years, then I invite you to look up F5D racing on You Tube, where you'll have trouble keeping your eyes on the 200 MPH "Volkswagons"
ClayH is offline Find More Posts by ClayH