HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
This thread is privately moderated by RCPtero, who may elect to delete unwanted replies.
Old Mar 20, 2012, 10:50 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,407 Posts
I'm thinking if I ever build another set of floats, or decide I don't like the balsa on these, I'll try something like this stuff: http://hotwirefoamfactory.com/-025Bu...bs.html?page=1

It sure seems like it would be quicker and easier than sheeting with balsa. I'd have to paint them after, though.
--
Tom
RCPtero is online now Find More Posts by RCPtero
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 24, 2012, 01:04 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,407 Posts
Brushed on a coat of varnish to the sides and bottom this morning. Will try to do another coat tonight before bed. Hopefully, this humidity/rain won't get in the way too much.

Also bent the first set of rear landing gear into shape using the originals as a template. I think they turned out pretty darn good! Although I now have to lay out the holes and drill them.

--
Tom
Old Mar 26, 2012, 06:48 AM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,407 Posts
Good coat on the bottoms and sides. Tonight or tomorrow, I'll use some fine steel wool to take off the shine and apply one more coat. Then a day or two later, roll them over and work on the tops.

Still need to make up the rudders, trim the LG to length and drill holes. Also need to figure out where to mount the servo. Probably should pull the servo electronics and soak in Corrosion X and apply some liberal grease to the output shaft to seal the servo.

--
Tom
Old Jul 04, 2013, 01:13 PM
Stillwater, Oklahoma
Joined May 2004
252 Posts
So how did the floats turn out!? Let's see some finished pic's!

Did the other floats find a home? If not, I'm certainly interested! My FunCub spends most of its time on water, and I only fly the Rascal 110 about once a month because its a long drive to the flying field! With floats, there's a Great lake to fly at only 2 miles from the house!

Cheers!

SLCPilot
SLCPilot is offline Find More Posts by SLCPilot
Old Oct 14, 2013, 11:07 PM
KJ4YNM
Manassas, VA
Joined Sep 2006
1,407 Posts
SLCPilot, Sorry for the delay in responding. I've sidelined my RC activities for a while to get my '68 Mustang up and running. Unfortunately, that's taking a bit longer than expected too.

Anyway, I've not made any more progress on the floats than what's pictured above. My Rascal got chopped in half at SEFF this year and was a total loss on the air frame. The good news is the guy who did it was the rep from SIG and he had a new one in my hands within about two hours, although sadly, it's red, not blue . It will be red, white, and blue once I get around to putting her together. I'll ramp back up on the floats then. Although it'll probably be next spring before I do.
--
Tom