HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Oct 31, 2001, 03:06 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
UltraFlyer - 4.5' chuck glider to E-Power ???

Any one convert one of these foam chuck gliders yet ?? and if so what power config ??

TIA

Alan W
Alan W is offline Find More Posts by Alan W
to remove ads between posts
Old Oct 31, 2001, 09:48 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Chuck glider Wally wing

Yes!

Got mine at Hobby Lobby (the craft store - not the hobby shop) for $5.00 or so.

Today was the first flight. I builit it like the Wally wing, except I put too much sweepback in the wing, and the C.G. ended up way behind. Winds were a steady 25 mph, gusting to 35. I was so impatient that I took it out at lunchtime. The field is not too big, edged with some tall trees, so I had to bring it down quickly when the wind dragged it in that direction, It took several cartwheels and nose-ins and stayed together with only minor wrinkles.

The first time I tossed it into the wind with the motor off, I could not beleive my eyes - the trim was perfect, and it just kept gliding. When I kicked in the power, it took off near vertical, and when I pointed it into the wind it actually made headway! The only problem was that as soon as I banked and turned a little, it got swept back at high speed downwind towards the trees, and it was quite a struggle to bring it down with the throttle cut to 0!

A.U.W = 17 oz,
Speed 400
MAS 6 X 4
8 X 600AE
Span - 36"
Homemade ESC
GWS 4P Rx
HS-81 servos

I did not use any wingtip fins, just some wash out carved in. It was quickly put together just to test proof of concept - I used chopstick spars (cheap and flexible) a little strapping tape and packing tape.

Lots of help from Ken "Hardlock" Hill's pioneering work:

http://www.acesim.com/rc/wallywing.html

Here's a pic:
rkrishnan is offline Find More Posts by rkrishnan
Old Oct 31, 2001, 09:50 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Wally Wing / Ultra Flyer

Sorry the last one was not re-sized - Here's another:
Old Nov 01, 2001, 11:11 AM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
Looks Good !! Im sure you'll have alot more fun without the gusts blowing though !!

I'm almost done with mine - sheeting alot of it with 1/32' balsa adds a great amount of stiffness !! also a carbon rod along the bottom firmed up the fuse.....

Im gonna go with the stock'ish wingspan....

What i was really curious about is - i started bashing this one before actually test gliding it !! years ago i bought 2 of them and converted the other to a HighStart RC glider.....and just recently found this one again in half-bashed form

Sooo....i bought yet another (updated design too....) and test glided it in the backyard in "stock" faom config with a few 8 penny nails un the nose to get it to fly and glide proper

Thing is - when i check the CG now with nose weight so it glides great, the CG is about 5/8th of the way BACK from the leading edge !!!

Id think it would fly and balance near the high spot of the airfoil - not an inch or 2 behind !!.....(for thos reading and dont know, its a decent flat bottomed airfoil !!)

Well....i really didnt want to progress without knowing as i need to cut the nose but dont want to make it too short or long !!

Alan W
Old Nov 01, 2001, 12:41 PM
Manhattan, Kansas, United States
Joined Oct 2001
3,503 Posts
Cheap foamie

Alan,

I built two of these cheapie foam gliders. One version had a lot of sweep in the wing (looked like an airliner, or something), it flew the best of the two. The other was the version that you show in the picture. This version didn't fly to well, but I'm sure it was do to the location of the CG. Be sure to do some glide testing to find the right CG location. The version with alot of wing sweep ended up with a ready to fly weight of about 8oz, after some serious carving on the fuselage. Like I said, it flew pretty good, and looked cool in the air with all that wing sweep. Sorry I don't have any pics right now, I'll try to get some after the weekend if you're interested.

I used a GWS DXA motor with a 9X7 prop, Pixie 7P, HS-55's, and an 8.4V-220mah battery pack.

Good luck!

-Mike
KSU Flyer is offline Find More Posts by KSU Flyer
Old Nov 01, 2001, 01:15 PM
NY
Joined May 2000
2,248 Posts
Re: Cheap foamie

Quote:
Originally posted by KSU Flyer
Alan,

...it flew pretty good, and looked cool in the air with all that wing sweep. Sorry I don't have any pics right now, I'll try to get some after the weekend if you're interested.

I used a GWS DXA motor with a 9X7 prop, Pixie 7P, HS-55's, and an 8.4V-220mah battery pack.

Good luck!

-Mike

Glad you had success !! Mine will fly Sat morning.....so you need not bother with the pics, but thanks for the offer !!

I'll report my "findings"

Alan W
Old Nov 01, 2001, 01:55 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Quote:
Originally posted by Alan W
...............Thing is - when i check the CG now with nose weight so it glides great, the CG is about 5/8th of the way BACK from the leading edge !!!

Id think it would fly and balance near the high spot of the airfoil - not an inch or 2 behind !!.....(for thos reading and dont know, its a decent flat bottomed airfoil !!)
....................Alan W
I think that may have something to do with the wing position relative to the fuse - probably too far back.

With my wing, all that excess sweep must be helping with the stability - I think I read somewhere that sweep translates to dihedral.

Will report as soon as the winds die down. I agree the fuse also needs a bit of longitudinal bracing - mine's bow shaped already
Old Nov 04, 2001, 12:52 AM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
Took it out today and several very satisfying flights tho' the wind was almost 15 mph. This plane is such fun! I did add Coroplast fins at either wingtip. In my first flying session the hot-glues fins popped of on a rough landing. I then made two vertical cuts in the coro, and folded the coro tab so it rests flat on the wing, with a tape running over it. This has held on after several rough landings.

I am still having a few problems with some sudden up/down flutter of the elevons - looks like radio interference. Other than that the plane seemed to fly well with a wide range of C.G. settings. I could get it to roll easy, but can't get it to loop yet.

If anyone is planning to build this wing, here are a couple of mistakes I made that you should avoid:

1. Don't let the ailerons extend all the way to the wing tip - In a roush landing, they'll get bent.

2. Lay the spars all the way to the wingtips, else the wings flex badly in high-G manouvers.

Have Fun!
Last edited by rkrishnan; Nov 04, 2001 at 12:58 AM.
Old Nov 04, 2001, 03:20 AM
Joined Aug 2000
2,536 Posts
As for CG on swept wings, you should figure the MAC location:

http://ourworld.compuserve.com/homep...le/page17.html

or here:

http://www.palosrc.com/instructors/mac.htm

Or you can roughly figure the 1/4 chord line on each wing, quess the center of the area on each wing and connect the dots across the root. That point will be a ballpark location to start with.

For example, the Wally Wing has about 20 deg of LE sweep (about 1 inch back for every 3" of span) putting the CG about 6" back from the LE at the root on a 8" root chord!
hardlock is offline Find More Posts by hardlock
Old Nov 19, 2001, 07:04 PM
rcrick
Prentiss, Ms.
Joined Dec 2000
216 Posts
Alan,
Did you try flying the Ultra Flyer as a chunk glider before converting it? I have been flying a simular fomie for a long time.
It was a Comet brand. It is the same type, without the swept wings like Wallmart carries. It flys real good. I use a lightstick motor and feather receiver with submicro servos. I have purchased another glider that looks the same at K&B Toys and it was of poor quailty. The wings did not fit right and they drouped.
So I was wondering if the Ultra Flyer was a good glider and If the wings fit good and did not droup. I had to glue the wings in the K&b glider so I would have some diheadreal. And It did not glide well at all.
Thanks
Ricky
rcrick is offline Find More Posts by rcrick
Old Nov 19, 2001, 08:09 PM
Schaumburg,Il,USA
Joined Apr 2001
256 Posts
rcrick,

Altho' I did not build the Ultraflyer as a glider, I have bought 3 of them for the Wally wing project. The first one was OK, but the second had the two wings of different thickness! I had to do a lot of sanding down. When I bought the 3rd. one, I was careful to examine the wings through the transparent bag. Hope this helps