SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:39 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,370 Posts
If I were to damage a stock servo does the beastx have to be reprogrammed to find centers and such?
HeliStyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliStyle
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 27, 2013, 07:45 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle View Post
If I were to damage a stock servo does the beastx have to be reprogrammed to find centers and such?
I have rebuilt the cyclic servos on my 450X twice and didn't need to touch the BX. It flies as well as before I repaired it.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:34 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
First of all, thankyou for the responses.

I realise that there would be many different setup tweaks for different flying styles, and it makes sense that a different pitch range would be one of them. I was under the impression that an appropriate setup change would be made digitally though, via adjusting the travel on the transmitter. Is 0 pitch on the heli with centred servos not a normal adjustment that should be made on every heli? Just like on my fixed wing ships, my aileron and elevators are all centred, and throw is adjusted on the transmitter via rates and expo? Is this not the norm? Although I do understand the CG changes, but they still should fall within a range of a formulae yeah? (I don't know it, would have to google it, but I know there is a formula for locating CG on fixed wing, something like 1/3 chord divided by something, measured from the root, making a magical range/location that seems to work (depending on the wing design)).

And I can't take credit for that video, I am simply just relaying it. That one I believe to be created by Indoorheli, and in saying that, thankyou to Indoorheli for the training

Would checking blade tip distance actually give you pitch range? I understand that it would give you overall pitch throw, but how do you work out which is + and - pitch? it might give you an overall of 24deg throw, but that might include 10- and 14+ yeah?!

Definitely going to be picking up a digital gauge, it seems to be a very valuable tool in this hobby.

Thankyou everyone for the information, it definitely makes learning this sport much easier having smart people to ask!!...
Yes, zero pitch at center stick with a level swash is the norm for a CP bird, and collective & cyclic pitch ranges are adjusted via the tx. I use my pitch-gauge to check the pitch ranges. My 300X, as it was set up pretty well out of the box, so I didn't need to change anything right-off. I had to chase a bit of vibration & eventually ended up switching to the aluminum center-block & FBL following arms. Then I spent more time getting everything just right. Regarding fixed-wing CG placement - it depends entirely upon the particular airframe design, the flight-conditions, and one's flying style. Many 3D pilots like their planes a bit tail-heavy, while pattern pilots like a neutral or slightly forward CG. Sport & scale pilots typically prefer a more forward CG. Those who fly in windy conditions also usually prefer a more forward CG. Some airframes have extremely wide flyable CG ranges, and can be set up quite tail-heavy, while others have very narrow flyable CG ranges. Most scale g/a planes & warbirds fly very poorly with an aft CG, and some will only fly once. Many unlimited aerobatic ships are happy anywhere from goofy tail-heavy to moderately nose-heavy, which covers everything from wild 3D to sport-flying.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 27, 2013 at 08:56 PM.
Old Jan 27, 2013, 08:42 PM
Gravity is a harsh mistress.
United States, MI, Temperance
Joined Sep 2002
6,604 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
+1!

The most logical reason for a price-drop is simply to spur some interest & increase sales.

Joel
Mission accomplished

Researching the 130x convinced me that the 300x would be my next heli. The price drop got me to pull the trigger.

Stupid mSR.
Tim Wolff is offline Find More Posts by Tim Wolff
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 27, 2013, 10:40 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Would checking blade tip distance actually give you pitch range? I understand that it would give you overall pitch throw, but how do you work out which is + and - pitch? it might give you an overall of 24deg throw, but that might include 10- and 14+ yeah?!
Yes, you are measuring the distance from 0 pitch (50% throttle). if you put the blades back towards the tail like the mcpx vid you can measure max/min and anything in between. If you go to a linear pitch curve (0-100) you can measure full positive and full negative pitch. You just push the throttle all the way 100% and measure then lower the throttle to 0 and measure. Of course doing this you need to also verify your servo travel for pitch is not limited and verify you have 0 pitch at center.

You can even measure mid pitch points such as 6 degrees for beastx setup. I setup my 500x with a 12 inch ruler, though it will be nice to get that dual axis gauge

Quote:
Originally Posted by HeliStyle View Post
I would suggest doing so, it is under menu G and it is very easy to center the new servo horn.
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 27, 2013, 11:24 PM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Thankyou Turboparker and Indoorheli, as usual you guys are very informative.

I will have to play around a bit more with the CG on my micro foamy (polecat), figure out what I like. I haven't changed it much from where the book told me it should be, as I'm very very new to fixed wing flying.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 28, 2013, 07:34 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,424 Posts
Quote:

I will have to play around a bit more with the CG on my micro foamy (polecat), figure out what I like. I haven't changed it much from where the book told me it should be, as I'm very very new to fixed wing flying.
You're welcome! Always happy to help where I can. BTW - if you're new to fixed-wing, you may find my flight-trimming guide useful.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Jan 28, 2013, 08:08 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Will do, always happy to learn new things.

I haven't flown mine in a while, we've got a cyclone ATM and have had poor weather for some time, plus I usually take my heli's out on the first sign of good weather as the 300 can handle the wind.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 28, 2013, 11:31 AM
Joined Apr 2011
1,637 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Yes, you are measuring the distance from 0 pitch (50% throttle). if you put the blades back towards the tail like the mcpx vid you can measure max/min and anything in between. If you go to a linear pitch curve (0-100) you can measure full positive and full negative pitch. You just push the throttle all the way 100% and measure then lower the throttle to 0 and measure. Of course doing this you need to also verify your servo travel for pitch is not limited and verify you have 0 pitch at center.

You can even measure mid pitch points such as 6 degrees for beastx setup. I setup my 500x with a 12 inch ruler, though it will be nice to get that dual axis gauge

I would suggest doing so, it is under menu G and it is very easy to center the new servo horn.
I'm in the process of setting up my used, recently purchased 300X.
Since the BX is upside down, and not too accessible for setup. Can I lay it on it's side to do the setup then place it on it's skids to adjust pitch range, and other swash adjustments?
What's the best way to do the BX setup?
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jan 28, 2013, 12:56 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:

glad i can help
Love these forums, without them I would have a been a wreck and so would all my heli's...

Quote:
Originally Posted by clearprop88 View Post
I'm in the process of setting up my used, recently purchased 300X.
Since the BX is upside down, and not too accessible for setup. Can I lay it on it's side to do the setup then place it on it's skids to adjust pitch range, and other swash adjustments?
What's the best way to do the BX setup?
yes you can, but did you buy a new ar7200bx or is it a 300x ar7200bx?

If it is a beastx that came with the 300 you can do a factory reset and only adjust maximum pitch, 6 degrees and servo center/swash leveling.

If it is a new ar7200bx purchased separately it has different default settings so you need to set it up from completely from scratch.

When i am setting up a beastx that is upside down, instead of constantly flipping it around I get the beastx cheat sheet for both menus and grab a mirror so i can see the colors of the lights.

If you dont have a pitch gauge, measuring from tip to tip:
6 is 51.2mm
10 is 85.1mm
11 is 93.5mm
12 is 101.9mm

measuring with blades facing front or back like this
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Jan 28, 2013 at 01:10 PM.
Old Jan 28, 2013, 04:41 PM
Joined Apr 2011
1,637 Posts
[QUOTE=indoorheli;QUOTE]

It's a new BX, so I have to set it up from scratch.
The mirror sounds like a good way to do it.

The last time I used a mirror like that it was when I did an engine overhaul on my sailboat. I put the mirror under the engine, and did the rebuild by looking in the mirror.
Compared to that this should be a piece of cake.
Thanks for the help.
clearprop88 is offline Find More Posts by clearprop88
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:21 PM
hmmm...
Joined Sep 2008
1,370 Posts
I'm confused on the pitch setup, the measurements you are giving from tip to tip I'm assuming are what you want at full throttle? and I'm assuming if you want 0 degrees would be both tips equal at mid stick?

thanks for all the help
HeliStyle is offline Find More Posts by HeliStyle
Old Jan 28, 2013, 06:25 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
Yes at mid stick 0 pitch the blades will be level.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Jan 29, 2013, 12:06 AM
Australia, VIC, Mount Evelyn
Joined May 2012
159 Posts
[QUOTE=Dan137;23912921]the paint is "Pactra rc car paint lacquer racing finish". made by Testor corporation.

I have to apologise; after flying tonight, and having several crash tests, the paint flaked off the skids really easily. I am guessing that after drying properly it goes hard and becomes less flexible. It was fluro yellow on the skids and competition orange for the tail fin. I have repainted the skids orange to see if this colour is more durable.

It looks great on the tail fin, and that part does not flex. But the skids do get some wear and abuse. If you always land softly and have planned landings, I reckon you will be fine with it.

For some reason I cannot upload any photos.

The link below popped up on the 130x forum. seems better than my spray paint. I tried the orange paint, and it holds up great on the tail fin, but not so well on the skids as they flex heaps on crashes.

http://www.helifreak.com/showpost.ph...01&postcount=1

Dan.
Dan137 is offline Find More Posts by Dan137
Old Jan 29, 2013, 03:52 AM
west coast flyer
Joined May 2012
331 Posts
I have to say I'm super happy with this purchase Got to maiden it Sat. & it went very well For only being into FP Heli's 5 weeks, I'm pretty happy to be able to fly this thing around the field without crashing Unfortunately I got ahead of myself & maidened my Thunder Tiger the next day, and had a stupid little crash!
Lots of practicing to do still....so back to the ncpx & 130x, then I'll think about putting the CF blades on this thing.

Blade 300x maiden flight (2 min 51 sec)
emeraldc is offline Find More Posts by emeraldc