SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:59 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
Not necessarily a bad batch. It could be luck of the draw. I have not heard wide spread complains about the 300X motor. The 450X is another story in that regard. My 300X flew perfect out of the box and continues to do so with over 75 flights on it.
Mine has been great as well..not sure somewhere 25-30 flights so far . But I did pick up the wicked motor just in case one day. I think if you do go that route, you need a good esc to go with it and shouldn't just swap it out.

Just picked up a 450x a few days ago...I was told to look out for brass shavings ...any other warning signs the motor may be on the way out?

So far seems like a nice flier,...much like a 300 with turbos
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
to remove ads between posts
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:50 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
I use a $40 IMAX B6 from eBay, have had it for 3 years, and use it very frequently (roughly 6 packs a week for the last 3 years of racing/bashing and now double that with the new 3S bird). The stock charger is definitely junk, it only charges my stock battery, and flashes errors on my Dualsky pack. (I know, don't ask, I didn't want to wait for the nano's to arrive with only one pack). Anyway, back to point; if you're on a budget like mine (tight), I had a great experience with the 'elcheapo IMAX b6.
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 05, 2013, 01:36 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
Well, first flight = broken main shaft. It was my fault, I flew it around for about 3 minutes and came in to land on the patio and came down too slow and I guess the ground effect pushed it to the right. I hit throttle hold and was already at low throttle anyway so just dinged up the end of one blade but the main shaft snapped right at the bolt on the main gear. I have to order a main shaft and wondered if there is anything else I should put in the cart if I am paying shipping anyway. Also, since I caused the crash is there any chance I could get a main shaft from Horizon? It seems like an odd point to be the first thing to break and I know others have had failure. Any advise would be appreciated, I am just glad that my first crash only cost me $10.
Greg Head is offline Find More Posts by Greg Head
Old Jan 05, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
ps I was going to order a feathering shaft as well in case it is damaged, what else should I look for, I don't see any other damage but this is my first larger heli and don't know what else to look for. I have carbon fiber blades so I can replace the woodies that came on it and one of which is damaged.
Old Jan 05, 2013, 04:51 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I would take a look at the main gear if you hit hard enough to bust the shaft.

Speaking of parts if anyone is interested I have a brand new 300x as it comes except without the beastx and with an extra set of new blades for 175 shipped
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:13 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,470 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Greg Head View Post
Well, first flight = broken main shaft. It was my fault, I flew it around for about 3 minutes and came in to land on the patio and came down too slow and I guess the ground effect pushed it to the right. I hit throttle hold and was already at low throttle anyway so just dinged up the end of one blade but the main shaft snapped right at the bolt on the main gear. I have to order a main shaft and wondered if there is anything else I should put in the cart if I am paying shipping anyway. Also, since I caused the crash is there any chance I could get a main shaft from Horizon? It seems like an odd point to be the first thing to break and I know others have had failure. Any advise would be appreciated, I am just glad that my first crash only cost me $10.
I haven't crashed my 300X yet but, have crashed my 450X twice. Each time I had to replace the main shaft, feathering shaft and main gear. Those parts for the 450X are a bargain as they come two to a package. Not sure if that is the case with the 300X.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Jan 05, 2013, 09:34 PM
Joined Aug 2012
546 Posts
They come 2 pack and those are the exact parts I ordered. I don't see any problem with the main gear but when indoorheli mentioned it I threw them on the order. Might as well when you are already paying shipping, I am apparently the only person in town who flies a 300x because no one stocks parts.

I am hoping for a clear day because I am going to work some frustration out on my nano and mcpx
Old Jan 06, 2013, 04:53 PM
Progress with the process...
NE Alabama
Joined Feb 2011
141 Posts
Why so little canopy love for the 300? Both the 130 and 450 have a great selection.
Regardless, about to pull the trigger on one of these. Ampdraw and UltimateHobbies have the best prices I have found. Anyone with a preference between the two? TIA
M3ATpl0w is offline Find More Posts by M3ATpl0w
Old Jan 06, 2013, 10:55 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,426 Posts
The 300X optional canopy, I have both. Don't get the one with more black than yellow.
The more yellow than black is the best choice for visibility and just looks better overall
BLH4542C
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:32 AM
Billy
Australia, NSW, Newcastle
Joined Jun 2012
314 Posts
Finally bit the bullet and took my new beast out on a windy day, gee it was stable, even in 20k winds.

A 4 min flight dropped my batteries by roughly 1v (11.7) and I can't quite remember the mA put in, how far can I push these batteries? And how much more will I get from a nanotech 45/90c?
Billz_01 is offline Find More Posts by Billz_01
Old Jan 11, 2013, 08:03 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,954 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Billz_01 View Post
Finally bit the bullet and took my new beast out on a windy day, gee it was stable, even in 20k winds.

A 4 min flight dropped my batteries by roughly 1v (11.7) and I can't quite remember the mA put in, how far can I push these batteries? And how much more will I get from a nanotech 45/90c?
The mAh put back in is the important number, as that is the number which used to determine depth-of-discharge. Calculate the 80% discharge point of your pack. Fly a short, aggressive flight. Note how many mAh it takes to recharge, and simply extrapolate the flight-time to the 80% discharge point. Set your flight-timer accordingly. I fly with Hyperion & Thunder Power packs, so I'm not sure about the Nanos.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jan 11, 2013 at 11:21 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jan 11, 2013, 10:36 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
7,480 Posts
Quote:

My Nano 1350's last 4 min in stunt mode. I'm happy.
erkq is offline Find More Posts by erkq
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:51 PM
"Unappreciative tosser"
Canada, BC, Vancouver
Joined Oct 2011
566 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by microDan View Post
The 300X optional canopy, I have both. Don't get the one with more black than yellow.
The more yellow than black is the best choice for visibility and just looks better overall
BLH4542C
I think it's the nicest of all the stock canopies available to the 130x, 300x or 450x. If you ask me the 450x has the worst options both stock and aftermarket.
eltreato is offline Find More Posts by eltreato
Old Jan 11, 2013, 04:54 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eltreato View Post
I think it's the nicest of all the stock canopies available to the 130x, 300x or 450x. If you ask me the 450x has the worst options both stock and aftermarket.
That is a pretty nice canopy, though I think I like the 500x the most for stock
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jan 11, 2013, 05:13 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,526 Posts
Quote:

Depends on Mah size of the pack
but like what was noted before, try not to go beyond the 80% rule with any packs

if they are the same size Mah packs they will have right close to the same flight time regardless of C rating
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55