HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:11 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by brushless55 View Post
so those with a 130x and 300x what heli gets flown more and why?
thanks
My 130X gets a lot more air-time than my 300X because I can just walk out onto my deck & fly the 130X in the backyard, while I have to fly the 300X in my open north yard. Plus, I have six TP 325 65c packs for the 130X that are designed for 12c charging, which means that I can easily fly it non-stop all day, if I wish. I'm still using old-tech 5c charge packs in the 300X - and I only have two of 'em. (However, I am about to fix that! )

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
to remove ads between posts
Old Nov 10, 2012, 11:23 PM
United States, CO, Longmont
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
dang helis are cool and for some reason I think I need another!
so either the 130x or 300x
brushless55 is offline Find More Posts by brushless55
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:04 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
In my opinion - those who still place a high priority on 'crashability' when choosing a heli are not ready for birds that are intended for advanced pilots & above - such as the 130X & 300X. (Says 'Experience Level: Advanced' right on the webpages.) Intermediate & advanced pilots choose their aircraft based on things like flight-qualities, intended purpose, scale appearance, etc. 'Crashability' is usually at the bottom of the list, if it is a consideration at all.

Joel
This. A thousand times this...

I maybe misspoke before - I think the 130X is less fragile than full-house choppers, but it doesn't have the durability of the other micros. On the other hand, mine is still in one piece in spite of the vibration everybody is freaking out about. I'll let you know if it ever shakes apart from that but it hasn't yet.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Nov 11, 2012, 11:35 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
dang helis are cool and for some reason I think I need another!
so either the 130x or 300x
I fly the 130x more because is is easier, less intimidating and almost indestructible.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 11, 2012, 03:35 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I fly the 130x more because is is easier, less intimidating and almost indestructible.
Looks like the 130x may be my next heli
Old Nov 11, 2012, 05:43 PM
United States, CA
Joined Jan 2012
1,454 Posts
I love flying my 300X but, I fly my 130X. It's just about the perfect heli in my opinion. It has good flight characteristics, cheap to repair, and is perfect for the backyard or the field.
J_skaggs is offline Find More Posts by J_skaggs
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:28 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
Looks like the 130x may be my next heli
I say go for it. You may may or may not have to to a bit of tweaking to get it flying smoothly, but even if you do, the bird flies so well that it is totally worth it! It flies exactly like the big birds, it handles moderate winds - yet you can wring it out in a gym or small yard, or take it to the field. And a wide variety of plug & play packs are available for it.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Nov 11, 2012, 06:34 PM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
630 Posts
Absolutely dig my 300X. Once I sorted out the vibrations, it is just a blast to bomb around in the back yard.
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:31 PM
United States, RI, Smithfield
Joined Dec 2011
742 Posts
Quote:
Except for the tail. The gearing is very fragile, especially the stock plastic A gear. I was flying my 130x at the field and landed in front of me in a section of more dirt than grass, it was very windy and the bird tilted just a hair to the right and the tail blades just TOUCHED a piece of raised sod barely, but that's all it took to completely strip the A gear. I had already bought the metal upgraded A gear knowing it would happen eventually, but glad I did after I saw how weak that was. Still a much less intimidating bird than the 300x though, I still don't have the nerves to do a lot with the 300x. NanoCPX is what I fly the most, BY FAR. I'll put 10 or so flights onto the nano, then take the mcpx and 130x up for a couple and maybe run a pack through the 300 just to keep the dust off...

Tom
d2tw4all is offline Find More Posts by d2tw4all
Old Nov 12, 2012, 09:57 PM
Joined Nov 2011
3,172 Posts
Love the feed back on this 130x vs 300x
Old Nov 12, 2012, 11:03 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,971 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by d2tw4all View Post
Except for the tail. The gearing is very fragile, especially the stock plastic A gear.
This may be true. I've gone in TAIL FIRST and had to clean the dirt out of the tail box. Still flew after that. But I'm always ready on that throttle hold. My finger is always under that switch! It's never gone in with power. My buddy at the field even commented, "Wow, you're really quick with that switch!" and he's an expert heli guy. I think that's really key to crash survivability.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Nov 13, 2012, 12:36 AM
Gulf Coast
Joined Nov 2002
348 Posts
Quote:
The intimidation factor should go down with time. For me it has been combo of not knowing if it was going to be reliable (so far so good), The $$$ involved, and the rpm / sound. Not used to Heli's turning so many rpm and it sounds like a big helicopter. Kinda fly's like one in the respect that if you are conservative on the sticks, it seems to fly rather gentle, which I like.
fletch is offline Find More Posts by fletch
Old Nov 13, 2012, 05:56 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,090 Posts
Has anyone had the esc shutdown on them? i was hovering at about 2 feet and it lost all power. I was still at 4v on the battery.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Nov 13, 2012, 07:53 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,530 Posts
Quote:
This may be true. I've gone in TAIL FIRST and had to clean the dirt out of the tail box. Still flew after that. But I'm always ready on that throttle hold. My finger is always under that switch! It's never gone in with power. My buddy at the field even commented, "Wow, you're really quick with that switch!" and he's an expert heli guy. I think that's really key to crash survivability.
+100!!

I do the same, and I have also piled her in tail-first at high speed a number of times with very little damage. I think that everyone should start out learning to use TH even on their FP trainers. It is far easier to get in the habit of using TH right away - rather than having to unlearn the bad habit of cutting the throttle in a crash after months or years of reinforcing the incorrect response.

Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
Has anyone had the esc shutdown on them? i was hovering at about 2 feet and it lost all power. I was still at 4v on the battery.
So, the entire heli shut down - including the rx & servos? Also - 4 volts would be about 5V below instant death for a 3s pack. LVC should have kicked in at 9V or higher. Did you mean 4V/cell?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Nov 13, 2012 at 07:59 AM.
Old Nov 13, 2012, 11:38 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
Yes, I've had a brown out with mine, but i cut some holes in the canopy and it seems to be fine now.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501