HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 25, 2012, 11:59 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not feeling as comfortable with the 300x as I am with the 130x. The controls feel mushy in comparison. I notice that the swash plate has a bit of a delayed reaction to the sticks, especially when centering. The manual says this is normal. I expected the response to tighten up when the rotors got going but if feels like it doesn't. I've read something about an "Extreme" setting for the BeastX controller. Does this tighten things up? Should I explore that? Or, is that what's done with the "gyro" setting set to 54% for "stunt" modes?
I have the 130x, 300X and 450X. The 300x was the mushiest feeling. The AR7200BX mode was set to transmitter mode and I have 15% expo. I replaced the stock blades with GAUI carbon fiber blades, upped the throttle curve to 100% and replaced the stock 9t pinion with a 10t. Now it flies very similar to the 450X which damn near perfection!
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 26, 2012, 12:39 AM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,053 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by lkagan View Post
I have the 130x, 300X and 450X. The 300x was the mushiest feeling. The AR7200BX mode was set to transmitter mode and I have 15% expo. I replaced the stock blades with GAUI carbon fiber blades, upped the throttle curve to 100% and replaced the stock 9t pinion with a 10t. Now it flies very similar to the 450X which damn near perfection!
Thanks! I'm glad there's a path out of mush-ville. Did you leave the mode set to transmitter when you did your blade and pinion upgrades?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Sep 26, 2012, 01:15 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Thanks! I'm glad there's a path out of mush-ville. Did you leave the mode set to transmitter when you did your blade and pinion upgrades?
Yeah, haven't touched the Beast settings since we can do it all in the transmitter.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Oct 02, 2012, 09:33 AM
United States, TX, Houston
Joined Aug 2011
643 Posts
My tail servo melted and I have a replacement on the way. Anything special I am going to need to do for the install of the new tail servo?

TIA
Blackanthem is online now Find More Posts by Blackanthem
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:22 AM
www.rctodayshow.com
Austin, TX
Joined Sep 2005
11,509 Posts
Go through the BeastX setup and make sure your tail limits are set correctly. I suspect that's why some folks are having tail servos 'melt', the limits are probably set too high and the servo is binding at the ends of travel. That'll kill them quickly.

Mine was binding very slightly when I got it, but I went through the setup and now have ~50 flights with zero issues.

Chris
JustPlaneChris is online now Find More Posts by JustPlaneChris
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:33 AM
Joined Aug 2011
643 Posts
Thanks. I found some set up vids for setting up the tail servo, just as you describe. This will be my first time playing with the BeastX.
I was running stock out of the box, DX6i per manual settings, when on flight # 33 on spool up, the tail servo melted.

Thanks again.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 12:13 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
I use this on my 450x and I just ordered one for my 300x

A great option for a relatively inexpensive tail servo.....

http://helidirect.com/align-ds425m-d...01-p-26780.hdx
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 02, 2012, 05:40 PM
Joined Aug 2011
643 Posts
Thanks, I am going to pick one up. Did you need to make any BeastX settings changes, that are different from a stock set up?
Old Oct 02, 2012, 08:17 PM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,853 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Blackanthem View Post
Thanks, I am going to pick one up. Did you need to make any BeastX settings changes, that are different from a stock set up?
You need to center the servo in the Beast X menu as well as set your throw limits on the tail. Other than that, you might need to reverse the rudder in your transmitter and double check your tail is correcting the right way.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Old Oct 02, 2012, 10:33 PM
Joined Aug 2011
643 Posts
Cool. Thanks the for the info and tips.
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:22 PM
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
8,053 Posts
I'm a Dummy

I was excited to install my new CF blades. It actually flew like this! What's wrong with this picture? I wondered why it had more vibration than with the wooden blades. What a dope! So... very smooth and higher head speed with the CFs. Love them.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Old Oct 02, 2012, 11:47 PM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Thats funny right there. I knew the beast was good but its amazing it flew at all!
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Oct 03, 2012, 02:13 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,468 Posts
Quote:
I was excited to install my new CF blades. It actually flew like this! What's wrong with this picture? I wondered why it had more vibration than with the wooden blades. What a dope! So... very smooth and higher head speed with the CFs. Love them.
Holy crap! As Hex noted - it's amazing that it flew at all. I almost did that once with my BSR, but I caught it before the spool-up.

I also like the cf blades. I installed the aluminum hub & FBL followers, as well. I'm waiting for my cf tail blades to show up. I'm running a flat 100% throttle in IU, and I'm running a relatively high HS in normal mode. The bird is considerably more stable with the higher HS, and lighter on her feet, as well. Good things in my book.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Oct 03, 2012, 03:12 AM
Is getting old...
Canada, Saskatchewan, Saskatoon
Joined Jan 2008
1,192 Posts
Trying to decide if I want the 300x or a 450x.. I hear crash costs on the 300x is just as much as a 450.. Flying space isn't an issue, don't really want to go bigger than a 450 atm, thoughts? I looked at the 300x today at the lhs and it's darn cute! Erhm, I mean.. *most masculine voice*, It's a very nice rig.
quadracer111 is offline Find More Posts by quadracer111
Last edited by quadracer111; Oct 03, 2012 at 03:35 AM.
Old Oct 03, 2012, 05:22 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
Go for the 450 if cost and size are not factors. I have a clone 450 but after having the beastx my next heli will be the 450x. So nice to take it out of the box and fly. Blade helis are getting better and better.

Have a 250, 300, 450 and 500. 450 is a great size... That's why it's so popular.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Last edited by Hexperience; Oct 03, 2012 at 05:28 AM.