HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:25 AM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Are you sure your beastx isn't programmed light on negative pitch? Mine came with about negative 7 stock programmed in which gave no negative pop.
After I have my head setup I use the upper links to attain 0 pitch at center. After your adjustment how is you mid range?
It seems perfect now but I'm not sure what you mean... the beast just uses the pitch value from the radio, right?
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 24, 2012, 11:42 AM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
It seems perfect now but I'm not sure what you mean... the beast just uses the pitch value from the radio, right?
If you adjusted the top pitch links to get more negative pitch then I would think you no longer have 0 pitch at center. I use them only to attain 0 pitch at midstick (aka blade tracking)

Well yes and no on tx pitch control... the tx controls the curve of the pitch and the beastx controls the overall pitch travel of your helicopter. Yes you can manipulate the overall pitch travel with the tx but only within the range previously set via the beastx. The only way to give more pitch range without utilizing beastx programming features is to manipulate the mechanical setup, which i would not suggest

It is in the systems menu labeled as "K"

K. Adjusting the Collective Pitch Range
CAUTION: Do not use any pitch curves in your transmitter while adjusting
the Collective Pitch Range. Doing so will result in unwanted flight behavior.
1. Move the pitch stick all the way up (full positive pitch) and stay there.
2. Increase or decrease the maximum amount of positive pitch using the rudder
stick.
3. When you have achieved the desired maximum pitch angle, move the pitch
stick all the way down (full negative pitch).
4. Increase or decrease the maximum amount of negative pitch using the rudder
stick.
CAUTION: Make sure the blade pitch angle is moving in the correct
direction. Incorrect blade pitch angle can result in erratic flight behavior. If
the blade pitch is moving in the wrong direction, reverse the pitch channel in your
transmitter.
Push the setup button to save the selection and move to menu point (L).


The beastx is actually the only manual besides my dx18 that i think i have ever read
http://www.horizonhobby.com/pdf/SPMA...-Manual_EN.pdf
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 24, 2012 at 11:47 AM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 12:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
If you adjusted the top pitch links to get more negative pitch then I would think you no longer have 0 pitch at center. I use them only to attain 0 pitch at midstick (aka blade tracking)
Well, I adjusted it so that I had zero pitch at center stick, and I was out at the field so I didn't actually measure the extremes, just the helicopter felt a lot better. I was just reading the manual for my AR7200BX over the weekend (still working on my 500), and I do recall the item K now... will have to go over this thing and do a full setup. Can't say I really trust that what I did was right, but it made the helicopter feel right, and I'm always saying that's all that matters. It flies correctly now, maybe I'll be able to finish my review video sometime, I've already filmed half of it but I still need to film a flying segment. It is so hard to get people to hold a camera - most people can't even do it.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:06 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Well, I adjusted it so that I had zero pitch at center stick, and I was out at the field so I didn't actually measure the extremes, just the helicopter felt a lot better. I was just reading the manual for my AR7200BX over the weekend (still working on my 500), and I do recall the item K now... will have to go over this thing and do a full setup. .
hmmm.....I am suprised you didint already have 0 pitch at center for a proper mechanical setup. Did you change blades or something else on your head?

Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Can't say I really trust that what I did was right, but it made the helicopter feel right, and I'm always saying that's all that matters. It flies correctly now, maybe I'll be able to finish my review video sometime, I've already filmed half of it but I still need to film a flying segment. It is so hard to get people to hold a camera - most people can't even do it.

Manipulating a heli mechanically to feel right versus seting it up properly mechanicaly and adjusting software to feel right are two different things. To just feel right by mechanical manipulation can cause unwanted mechanically induced issues. I say all that matters is setting it up mechanically correct, then you can be assured what you program will do its job.

I have heard too many times when i give out radio settings for things like mcpx to fly similar to a msr/msrx (without the bad tendencies) that the settings dont work. It was always because they didnt have a proper mechanical setup so the heli wasnt behaving as it should

For a camera man i have given up and moved onto looking like the silly/nerd guy at the park with a gopro on my head
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 24, 2012 at 01:14 PM. Reason: added
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 01:54 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Fish99's Avatar
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,621 Posts
Just a curiousity question. Does anyone fly with EXPO on this heli? As I recall the manual setup indicated 0 expo and that is what I have been using, but I wonder if it might be a little more tame in hover and inverted hover with a bit of expo dialed in.

As you can tell, I am COMPLETELY new to any sort complex heli such as this, the mCPX being the first CP heli I had flown.

Thanks folks,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 02:11 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
I would suggest around 10-20 expo if you are a thumb flyer. That way your heli wont twitch when your thumbs pull to the side slightly which commonly happens while moving the sticks vertically.

Or you can try a different beastx control behavior (under parameter menu item "B") which adds a set amount.

If to go that route I would suggest red flashing/sport..or for very mellow use normal which is purple

Though keep in mind if you change the control behavior from transmitter to turn all expo curves off.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 24, 2012 at 02:16 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 03:13 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Just a curiousity question. Does anyone fly with EXPO on this heli? As I recall the manual setup indicated 0 expo and that is what I have been using, but I wonder if it might be a little more tame in hover and inverted hover with a bit of expo dialed in.

As you can tell, I am COMPLETELY new to any sort complex heli such as this, the mCPX being the first CP heli I had flown.

Thanks folks,

Marlin
I use the sport setting on control behavior. This has built in expo that is very comfortable for me. I am a 3D airplane guy, so I would assume I like more expo than most.

Note: I did try the Extreme setting, very little expo there.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 24, 2012, 06:01 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,973 Posts
Maidened my 300X this morning. Seemed perfect out of the box, though it's more stable in stunt mode (mode 1 on the DX8) than regular. I guess it likes the higher head speed. So I cruised around in stunt mode and obediently landed when the 4 minute alarm went off. When I charged it had only used 670mAh! Nice. I thought the higher head speed would bring it closer in consumption to flinging it around than that. Seems there's a good solid 6 minutes of just buzzing around on the stock battery.

BTW, I've got 45-90C Turnigys on order. I almost went with the Sky's but wanted the faster charge rate. We'll see!
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:01 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,973 Posts
I'm not feeling as comfortable with the 300x as I am with the 130x. The controls feel mushy in comparison. I notice that the swash plate has a bit of a delayed reaction to the sticks, especially when centering. The manual says this is normal. I expected the response to tighten up when the rotors got going but if feels like it doesn't. I've read something about an "Extreme" setting for the BeastX controller. Does this tighten things up? Should I explore that? Or, is that what's done with the "gyro" setting set to 54% for "stunt" modes?
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 03:03 PM
Rocket Programmer
jasmine2501's Avatar
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,354 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not feeling as comfortable with the 300x as I am with the 130x. The controls feel mushy in comparison. I notice that the swash plate has a bit of a delayed reaction to the sticks, especially when centering. The manual says this is normal. I expected the response to tighten up when the rotors got going but if feels like it doesn't. I've read something about an "Extreme" setting for the BeastX controller. Does this tighten things up? Should I explore that? Or, is that what's done with the "gyro" setting set to 54% for "stunt" modes?
They do have a vastly different feel. I attribute it to the weight difference because it's a similar effect as what I see when you go up in size on others I've tried. Could be you have a slow servo or something, but keep in mind the 300X has a ton more mass than what you might be used to. Personally, I think it feels light.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not feeling as comfortable with the 300x as I am with the 130x. The controls feel mushy in comparison. I notice that the swash plate has a bit of a delayed reaction to the sticks, especially when centering. The manual says this is normal. I expected the response to tighten up when the rotors got going but if feels like it doesn't. I've read something about an "Extreme" setting for the BeastX controller. Does this tighten things up? Should I explore that? Or, is that what's done with the "gyro" setting set to 54% for "stunt" modes?
Go into Parameter B, menu B (Control Behavior) on the AR7200x

Blue flashing is "extreme" mode.

See what you think. This made a big difference in my opinion. In fact, mine was set to Extreme out of the box. Oops!

I have since tried the other control behaviors and settled with "Pro"
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:12 PM
2 seconds from crashing
indoorheli's Avatar
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
I'm not feeling as comfortable with the 300x as I am with the 130x. The controls feel mushy in comparison. I notice that the swash plate has a bit of a delayed reaction to the sticks, especially when centering. The manual says this is normal. I expected the response to tighten up when the rotors got going but if feels like it doesn't. I've read something about an "Extreme" setting for the BeastX controller. Does this tighten things up? Should I explore that? Or, is that what's done with the "gyro" setting set to 54% for "stunt" modes?
I would go through and check your beastx settings starting with servo frequency. If they all look good when compared to the manual...
Do you have any tx expo dialed in? If not stock settings for the beastx on the 300x should be on transmitter settings under parameter menu "B" (control behavior) which is a solid blue light. Solid blue gives no added expo via the beastx and relies on tx expo...extreme adds a minute amount of expo via beastx and more rotation to the tail ..so if it it feels soggy and is already on teh tx setting, I would think extreme wouldnt help.

If control behavior is set to tx then check "G" cyclic response is should be Red flashing. If it is red flashing, try upping the cyclic response 1 color at a time

The beastx is sooo adjustable if your setup is working properly and you spend a little time it will perform exactly how you want it.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 25, 2012 at 04:20 PM.
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 04:27 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,973 Posts
Thanks all. I really appreciate all the responses. I do not have any expo on the transmitter. I'll go through the BeastX menus to make sure of what's what. I just re-flew my 130X and it is definitely "snappier" though not as much power.
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:02 PM
You down with EPP?
johnnyrocco123's Avatar
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,673 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by erkq View Post
Thanks all. I really appreciate all the responses. I do not have any expo on the transmitter. I'll go through the BeastX menus to make sure of what's what. I just re-flew my 130X and it is definitely "snappier" though not as much power.
Fly the 130x and then go fly a 700 size heli.

The bigger they are the slower.

I have found the 450 size to be a perfect compromise of power, size, and agility.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
Reply With Quote
Old Sep 25, 2012, 05:50 PM
Registered User
United States, CA, Sebastopol
Joined Dec 2010
6,973 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
Fly the 130x and then go fly a 700 size heli.

The bigger they are the slower.

I have found the 450 size to be a perfect compromise of power, size, and agility.
Yeah. Makes sense. I've got a 400 I haven't flown in a long time. I'm trying to remember what it was like. It seemed it was pretty touchy in "stunt" mode. But I wasn't as comfortable with helis at that time either. I should try it again for giggles. I've been keeping it pristine so I can sell it... just too lazy to list it so it sits in its box in my closet. It's an original Blade 400. Figure it's not worth much these days...
erkq is online now Find More Posts by erkq
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
For Sale Trex 700E FBL BeastX BNF 1600$ Shipped trevjonez Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Aug 15, 2011 08:04 PM
For Sale Outrage 550 FBL W/BeastX BNF KenM Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 2 Jul 09, 2011 07:20 AM
Found BeastX FBL controller Hellsiege Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Jan 28, 2011 02:24 PM
Sold BeastX, Spektrum Satellite, BeastX Satellite Adapter, 450 Sport FBL Head NovaCX12 Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 1 Jan 22, 2011 08:07 AM
Sold Microbeast BeastX FBL unit NEW never used Z06 Tony Aircraft - Electric - Helis (FS/W) 0 Dec 07, 2010 05:23 PM