HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:44 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
any ideas?

Not enough head speed to get off the ground?

After 25 flawless flights......

Battery charged, and good.
johnnyrocco123 is offline Find More Posts by johnnyrocco123
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 13, 2012, 07:11 AM
Joined Aug 2010
843 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post

If you didn't do something to the AR7200BX programming (like item K changes) , I'd guess that the ESC or motor is croaking...I guess the motor.
thekubiaks is offline Find More Posts by thekubiaks
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:35 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:

Things to check:
  • Is it actually low head speed or very low pitch on the blades? Does it sound weak? Check blade angle when on throttle hold to ensure you have positive pitch when the left stick is pushed up.
  • Did you inadvertently lower your throttle curve on your radio?
  • How do you know the battery is good? Have you ever hit LVC (low voltage cutoff)? Have you left your battery in your car on a hot day? Have you accidentally over-discharged your battery in the past?
  • Is your motor pinion meshing correctly with your main gear? If you hold the motor and try to spin the main gear with your hand, it should only move about 1/2 mm or so. Try it at different points of the main gear since they are often not perfectly round. Also check for missing teeth on your main gear.
  • Did you lose a bolt holding the main shaft to either the main gear or the head block?
  • Did one of the three wires from the motor to the esc come loose?
  • Do you have a cell checker that tells you the voltage of each cell in your pack? Does the esc (motor actually) beep three times after you plug in your battery or just 2? If 2, you have a bad cell in the pack.

Good luck!

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Last edited by lkagan; Sep 13, 2012 at 09:47 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 09:44 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by stevebarrow View Post
anyone experienced this? after 5 flawless flights my 300X has started twitching the cyclic controls - that is I am hovering and without any control input it banks hard right (and only ever right). It does this now and then (4-5 times in a 4 min flight) and it quite annoying.
The only time I seem to stop the twitch is when I fly with the canopy off...
Things to check
  • With the canopy on, move your cyclic inputs all around to see if the servo rod is getting stuck on the canopy edge.
  • Check if any gears are stripped in your servos. With the heli powered down, and blades not in the foam blade holder, slowly move the servo arms through their entire range of motion by hand. If you feel it skip, you have a stripped gear. $4 for a replacement set.
  • Check that your tail boom is straight. If you had a "rough landing" and your tail boom does not look level, the belt is closer to the metal of the tail boom and will generate static electricity which will screw with the AR7200BX.
  • Check to ensure all your wires going into the AR7200BX are secure.
  • Check all the wiring to ensure the sheathing hasn't been worn down by a zip tie or other object.
  • Send it in to Horizon because if everything else is good, your AR7200BX may be buggy.

Good luck!

Larry
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Last edited by lkagan; Sep 13, 2012 at 11:20 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:16 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Thanks guys, will go through the trouble shoots.

My battey is good to go, I keep a cell checker handy at all times. 4.13v per cell when this happened.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:44 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
Well, new 300X owner this week! I have been thinking about moving up to a bigger heli from the mCPX for a while and was not sure where to go. Didn't want to go old tech with the SR, but find the 450 size birds a bit pricy and intimidating. This one was perfect.

Maiden flight went great, just some hovering and FFF in what turned into a pretty good wind. No issues though, the bird handles wind quite well.

Took it out tonight on the 3rd flight and managed to do my first flip to inverted and flip back. WOW, even with the stock wooden blades and only 75% throttle speed this heli is great to fly. Tail was rock solid and such a pleasure after all the blow outs on the mCPX unless you are dead perfect and working on a fresh lipo!

I can see this one will be more than enough heli to challenge me and learn on for a while.

Great thread as well, TONS of interesting and informative information.

Marlin
Hi Marlin! Nice to see you over here! Congrats on your maiden!

I'm loving mine. It flies really big - more like the 500-class birds I've flown in the sim - yet it is the perfect size for my yard. It also handles a lot of wind. I plan to mount a camera so I can play around with on-board video.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 13, 2012, 10:43 PM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,542 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Hi Marlin! Nice to see you over here! Congrats on your maiden!

I'm loving mine. It flies really big - more like the 500-class birds I've flown in the sim - yet it is the perfect size for my yard. It also handles a lot of wind. I plan to mount a camera so I can play around with on-board video.

Joel
I agree with you there, feels "bigger" than a 300 size heli when I fly it, though I also have nothing but the SIM and mCPX to compare it to.

I would love to see that video when you shoot it, look forward to your posting it on your YouTube channel.

Going to have to get a set of CF blades for this bird, as I really want to get the throttle curve up to 100%. That said, with stock settings it seemed to have plenty of power for mild 3D. (Not that I am brave enough yet to do more than a quick flip.)

Talk to you Joel,

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:12 PM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
965 Posts
Thanks Larry I will check those areas.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Sep 13, 2012, 11:30 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,182 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish99 View Post
I agree with you there, feels "bigger" than a 300 size heli when I fly it, though I also have nothing but the SIM and mCPX to compare it to.

I would love to see that video when you shoot it, look forward to your posting it on your YouTube channel.

Going to have to get a set of CF blades for this bird, as I really want to get the throttle curve up to 100%. That said, with stock settings it seemed to have plenty of power for mild 3D. (Not that I am brave enough yet to do more than a quick flip.)

Talk to you Joel,

Marlin
Marlin,

I'll definitely post the video if it turns out. BTW - I'm running Eflite's CF blades & they're great. The bird is smooth as butter in IU with a flat 100% throttle 'curve', and it is very responsive.

I flew a bunch of flights in my open north yard today. Next, I'm going to try flying in my backyard right from my deck like I do with the 130X.

Happy flying!

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 05:09 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
965 Posts
Quote:
Thanks guys, will go through the trouble shoots.

My battey is good to go, I keep a cell checker handy at all times. 4.13v per cell when this happened.
Have a look at the head and gear bolts (through the main shaft) one of these might be broken.
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:00 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,237 Posts
I am pretty disappointed on HH on this one. I got my heli back last week that I had sent in with a tail servo that died midflight and the main issue the elevator servo arm rubbing against the bell. The rub caused other issues like the stripped gear in the elevator servo. I got it back and all they did was replace a gear set and took the tail servo and didn’t replace it. They told me they test flew it and did not see any issues at all and sent me my heli back. When I got the heli back I noticed the servo link that was half way worn through still!

So little irritated I called them again and they told me to keep an eye on it and watch for more wear but they test flew it and it showed no signs of any more wear and that product design would call me and discuss it..why or what they could do I don’t know but they never called. I then called back a few days later and talked to a very nice rep and he sent me call tags to send it back and couldn’t understand why it came back to me like it did. But I decided before I sent it back I should fly it one more time see how it went as I do love this little heli when it is airworthy.

So I bound it and noticed I had to do major adjustment on the elevator servo link since it was way out and had to do major adjustment on the pitch links to get zero pitch at center again. I shortened the links and then switched the elevator link around so the half eaten link was on the swash and the perfect one was on the servo arm, then I did a 30-40 second flight with about 6-8 mild flips and landed. When I pulled off the canopy the crispy clean link now showed a slight cut in it were it had come in contact with the motor bell…..

So I am not too sure if they really did test fly it as I noticed rub right away and the elevator and pitch links being so far off… But anyhow thanks to the nice rep I talked to it will be shipped back off to them today with a note of my extreme disappointment on how they first handled this situation. I really do not feel safe flying this thing as is as obviously there is something wrong with it
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:22 AM
You down with EPP?
Houston, Tx
Joined May 2009
6,565 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I am pretty disappointed on HH on this one. I got my heli back last week that I had sent in with a tail servo that died midflight and the main issue the elevator servo arm rubbing against the bell. The rub caused other issues like the stripped gear in the elevator servo. I got it back and all they did was replace a gear set and took the tail servo and didn’t replace it. They told me they test flew it and did not see any issues at all and sent me my heli back. When I got the heli back I noticed the servo link that was half way worn through still!

So little irritated I called them again and they told me to keep an eye on it and watch for more wear but they test flew it and it showed no signs of any more wear and that product design would call me and discuss it..why or what they could do I don’t know but they never called. I then called back a few days later and talked to a very nice rep and he sent me call tags to send it back and couldn’t understand why it came back to me like it did. But I decided before I sent it back I should fly it one more time see how it went as I do love this little heli when it is airworthy.

So I bound it and noticed I had to do major adjustment on the elevator servo link since it was way out and had to do major adjustment on the pitch links to get zero pitch at center again. I shortened the links and then switched the elevator link around so the half eaten link was on the swash and the perfect one was on the servo arm, then I did a 30-40 second flight with about 6-8 mild flips and landed. When I pulled off the canopy the crispy clean link now showed a slight cut in it were it had come in contact with the motor bell…..

So I am not too sure if they really did test fly it as I noticed rub right away and the elevator and pitch links being so far off… But anyhow thanks to the nice rep I talked to it will be shipped back off to them today with a note of my extreme disappointment on how they first handled this situation. I really do not feel safe flying this thing as is as obviously there is something wrong with it
Blade as a company has got to be back at the drawing board wondering where they went wrong. They have more issues than any other brand Heli, Plane, ..........
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:38 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,067 Posts
I have had issues with my trex. Who am I gonna call?

Every product has its issues, at least with blade there is a number to call...
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Sep 14, 2012, 11:51 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,076 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hexperience View Post
I have had issues with my trex. Who am I gonna call?

Every product has its issues, at least with blade there is a number to call...
Every new product has this many "issues" and many of them are not design flaws, just growing pains with the user base. Since Blade sells a lot of products to beginners, you hear more complaints. Certainly some of the problems are defective assembly or design flaws, but with Blade products, we always have a huge problem discussion because so many beginners uncover things that wouldn't bother the experts. I remember the Trex 250 release years ago - everybody had tail problems with it, but the experts figured out how to get it to work, in spite of the fact that it really was a design flaw.

And, I've never seen a helicopter that didn't have "tail problems" - some of it is due to poor adjustment of things, but a good amount of it is due to people complaining about things that are perfectly normal. This happens with every new helicopter, regardless of who makes it. Go and look at the new release threads over on Helifreak - you won't find a single one where somebody doesn't complain about the tail.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Sep 14, 2012, 12:15 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,237 Posts
Quote:
Blade as a company has got to be back at the drawing board wondering where they went wrong. They have more issues than any other brand Heli, Plane, ..........
Even though I am currently unhappy with the outcome of the 300x (Not the flight abilities) I disagree with the statement more issues than other brands. Mainly because I have flown a lot of brands and they all have issues of some kind on release and sometimes even way after release. Really Blade has a lot of issues reported mostly because so many use them than other brands. Then the real killer is because so many that use them don’t know how to use them properly and scream bad product. Usually any issue (product or sometimes even user made) that happens is quickly rectified by support which for some reason didn’t happen the first time around in my case...

But all in all they have good products, not top of the line but good none the less. I have had many good eflite planes and only one issue with a servo that didn’t want to reverse. It happened over a year after I owned it still not sure why it won’t reverse but HH sent me out a micro servo reverser for it even though the product is discontinued. I have also had many blade heli's that have worked as advertised. I think my heli is just a random bad heli and has flex..and the cs i received the first go around was less than stellar and I am disappointed it wasn’t fixed on the first attempt.

My last 450pro V2 came with bad tail bearings and i had no other choice then to go buy a new set. If it was Blade I would call HH and they would send me new ones out. I was a little irritated about such an expensive Align kit having issues and it doesnt come with any support. Not only that but the tail geometry is still out of whack (they knew it was long ago) and i had to adjust the tail during build to compensate.
indoorheli is online now Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 14, 2012 at 12:21 PM.