SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Sep 06, 2012, 12:00 AM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
Well, add me to the list of 300X owners with a snapped main shaft. I've got <10 flights on the heli, and took it to the club field for the first time today. I was sport flying in IU @ 75% , a couple flips and full pitch climbouts and lazy funnels, when the timer went off I brought it in close in a stable hover about to descend from 5' or so, and it pitched left and started dropping all of a sudden-headspeed dropping. It wasn't responding to the right cyclic and pos. collective I put in but the tail still had control. Next thing I know it was in the weeds next to the safety fence. Busted main shaft, no other apparent damage.

Guess it's time to call Horizon and let them know another one bit the dust...
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
to remove ads between posts
Old Sep 07, 2012, 01:49 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Sep 07, 2012 at 02:05 PM.
Old Sep 07, 2012, 05:42 PM
Newton, NJ
Joined May 2003
1,884 Posts
A followup, FWIW. I just got off the phone with Horizon. I explained that I was calling to report a broken mainshaft and told the rep what happened as best I could explain. I was informed that there have been a few reported failures, and for my troubles I was offered a new main shaft, which I did not expect but accepted gratefully. Hopefully, the new shaft lasts longer, and Kudos to Horizon product support for standing behind the product.
BuzzBomber is offline Find More Posts by BuzzBomber
Old Sep 08, 2012, 06:58 AM
devIAtion..one TX to bind them
Canada, ON, Georgina
Joined Aug 2011
1,103 Posts
I got mine a couple days ago, is the main shaft completely hollow? It shouldn't be long before an aftermarket shaft is around but I hope horizon fixes the problem one way or another.
Hexperience is offline Find More Posts by Hexperience
Old Sep 09, 2012, 08:22 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,188 Posts
Anyone have trouble with a loose main gear? Mine rotates a few degrees on the mainshaft. I found that the hole in the mainshaft is larger than the shoulder bolt. It did not start out that way. Could this be a precursor to shaft failure? Hmmm....

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 09, 2012, 09:18 PM
RC Keeps Me Sane
United States, NJ, Carlstadt
Joined Sep 2005
1,457 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
Anyone have trouble with a loose main gear? Mine rotates a few degrees on the mainshaft. I found that the hole in the mainshaft is larger than the shoulder bolt. It did not start out that way. Could this be a precursor to shaft failure? Hmmm....

Joel
Joel, from the couple that I own and a few others I checked while all brand new never run, they all move. You can hold the mail gear and the head will rotate back and forth. I thought it was strange on my new 300x but when I checked a couple of other new ones they were all the same. Sooooo it is normal and nothing to worry about from what I've seen on 3 brand new helis....
Concerning main shaft breakage, frame flex and vibes could break a shaft.
But a hardened shaft should not be so brittle it snaps. I think Blade must of got the tempering very wrong on the shafts or they were not tempered at all and are just too brittle for this heli. Usually a main shaft will bend in a crash and hardly break. Because they were hard enough but not so brittle they snapped.
My thought is just a poorly heat treated & tempered steel is the main problem.
DanBo3D is offline Find More Posts by DanBo3D
Old Sep 10, 2012, 07:08 AM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,917 Posts
Quote:

Joel
Yes, that is one of the design flaws with this heli. I wish HH would wake up and start making the main shaft holes the proper dimension.
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
Old Sep 10, 2012, 11:44 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,188 Posts
Thanks, guys. Since I only have one 300X & none of my flying buds have one, I had no reference point. I might fill the hole with JB weld & re-drill it, as some have done.

BTW - while I had the head torn down, I installed the aluminum head block & FBL follower arms. With two shims, the plastic grips were a bit draggy on the metal head block. I removed one shim on each side, which solved the problem. Also, the supplied head button screw bottomed-out on the feathering shaft before the button was tight. Spooling up, I noticed that the swash gyrates slightly as the head rotates. The mainshaft must be a bit off. I assume it's been that way since day-one, given that I have never crashed the bird or even had a blade-strike. Looks like I found the source of the slight main rotor vibration I feel when spooling the bird up in my hand without main blades. It may also be the source of the main gear runout. Guess I'll pick up a pair of mainshafts while I'm at my LHS today.

Aside from a few minor issues - I'm loving my 300X!

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Sep 10, 2012, 12:01 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Has anyone tried a 10t pinion yet?
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Sep 11, 2012, 04:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Hello everyone! I'm planning to buy 300x, what batteries do you recommend and what flight times to expect with mild 3D flying?
RacingSOUL is offline Find More Posts by RacingSOUL
Old Sep 11, 2012, 06:47 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by RacingSOUL View Post
Hello everyone! I'm planning to buy 300x, what batteries do you recommend and what flight times to expect with mild 3D flying?
SkyLipo 30c 1300. Light and plenty powerful. The come down only slightly warm. Stock lipos are terrible, really weak. Nanotechs are a bit bulky.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Last edited by lkagan; Sep 11, 2012 at 08:44 AM.
Old Sep 11, 2012, 07:56 AM
Joined Sep 2012
18 Posts
Thank you, Ikagan!
RacingSOUL is offline Find More Posts by RacingSOUL
Old Sep 11, 2012, 10:17 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
12,188 Posts
Quote:
Thanks, guys. Since I only have one 300X & none of my flying buds have one, I had no reference point. I might fill the hole with JB weld & re-drill it, as some have done.

BTW - while I had the head torn down, I installed the aluminum head block & FBL follower arms. With two shims, the plastic grips were a bit draggy on the metal head block. I removed one shim on each side, which solved the problem. Also, the supplied head button screw bottomed-out on the feathering shaft before the button was tight. Spooling up, I noticed that the swash gyrates slightly as the head rotates. The mainshaft must be a bit off. I assume it's been that way since day-one, given that I have never crashed the bird or even had a blade-strike. Looks like I found the source of the slight main rotor vibration I feel when spooling the bird up in my hand without main blades. It may also be the source of the main gear runout. Guess I'll pick up a pair of mainshafts while I'm at my LHS today.

Aside from a few minor issues - I'm loving my 300X!

Joel
Update:

Disassembled the head & checked the mainshaft on a straightedge. Sure enough, it was slightly bowed - even though I have never crashed the bird or even had a blade-strike. I checked the new shafts, and one of them was also slightly bowed. I also checked the slop in the main gear mounting hole of the new shafts. It was the same as the original - so it appears that no wear has occurred in that area. I installed the straight shaft & spooled her up in my hand without main blades. The main rotor was so smooth that I could feel a slight imbalance in the tail. I balanced the tail rotor & the bird now feels smooth when I spool her up in my hand.

The test-flight confirmed that everything is functioning as expected. Plus, the new mainshaft reduced the main gear runout to the point where it is no longer audible in flight.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Sep 11, 2012 at 10:29 AM.
Old Sep 13, 2012, 12:42 AM
Flying addicted and lovin it!
Canada, AB, Edmonton
Joined Jun 2010
2,736 Posts
Well, new 300X owner this week! I have been thinking about moving up to a bigger heli from the mCPX for a while and was not sure where to go. Didn't want to go old tech with the SR, but find the 450 size birds a bit pricy and intimidating. This one was perfect.

Maiden flight went great, just some hovering and FFF in what turned into a pretty good wind. No issues though, the bird handles wind quite well.

Took it out tonight on the 3rd flight and managed to do my first flip to inverted and flip back. WOW, even with the stock wooden blades and only 75% throttle speed this heli is great to fly. Tail was rock solid and such a pleasure after all the blow outs on the mCPX unless you are dead perfect and working on a fresh lipo!

I can see this one will be more than enough heli to challenge me and learn on for a while.

Great thread as well, TONS of interesting and informative information.

Marlin
Fish99 is offline Find More Posts by Fish99
Old Sep 13, 2012, 06:43 AM
Heli Mad
Australia, VIC, Elsternwick
Joined Feb 2002
985 Posts
anyone experienced this? after 5 flawless flights my 300X has started twitching the cyclic controls - that is I am hovering and without any control input it banks hard right (and only ever right). It does this now and then (4-5 times in a 4 min flight) and it quite annoying.
The only time I seem to stop the twitch is when I fly with the canopy off...
stevebarrow is offline Find More Posts by stevebarrow