HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:00 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
do you mind tell us what tx you used. 80 feet range is short indeed. I am using DX8 but no issue on brownout except bind /w 3gx using sat rx before.
A brown out is a power problem with the ESC. I usually fix that issue with a BEC, which I will be doing before flying this helicopter again. It has nothing to do with radio range or loss of signal problems. I will call them and see what they say. I am not sure if I can get the parts I need.
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
to remove ads between posts
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:12 PM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
A brown out is a power problem with the ESC. I usually fix that issue with a BEC, which I will be doing before flying this helicopter again. It has nothing to do with radio range or loss of signal problems. I will call them and see what they say. I am not sure if I can get the parts I need.
Yes but as you know lots of people think they had a brownout when infact it was loss of link or something else down the chain... People often blame the equipment when they dont know what happened

How far did you heli fall from to get all that damage?
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Aug 09, 2012, 11:51 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Lol, it fell about 20 feet into a gopher hole. The damage isn't too bad because the motor shut down.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 02:09 AM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by johnnyrocco123 View Post
When are the 300x CF blades due in?
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
I asked HH about that last week, as I had pre-ordered the cf main blades along with the cf tail-rotor blades, aluminum head block, and aluminum follower arms. The rep said that the cf main blades should start shipping this week. I just checked my order status & the parts are still listed as 'backordered'.

Joel
Got the shipping notice for the cf main blades from HH today. However, the aluminum flybarless follower arms, aluminum head block, and cf tail rotor blades are still on backorder.

Joel
turboparker is online now Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:01 AM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
I know what is brownout & I never say brownout do something to signal range. My statement is 2 sentences. One is 80ft range is short indeed. Another is my dx8 has no brownout issue except bind /w 3gx using sat rx. I was using 2 sat rx /w 3gx on 600 before. I lost control completely when trex-600 was about 100ft above ground after 1minute flight. I was lucky bird dive into brushes & minimized loss. Later found & suspect brownout.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:02 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Quote:
Had a brown out tonight. I'm a little irritated. Will call Horizon tomorrow and see what they say. It has a bent shaft, stripped servo and broken legs. Grr...

This is preventing me from finishing my review video. I think the first crash was my fault but this was not.
That sucks! What were the flight-conditions at the time of the brownout? For instance, were you just hovering around, or were you in the middle of an aggressive maneuver?

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:37 AM
I AM SOFA KING WE TODD DID
Iceland, Westfjords, safjrur
Joined Mar 2011
1,111 Posts
DX8 and Ar7200BX issues

Hey Jazzy and others,

I have had to send in my DX8 and Ar7200BX to HH (at their request)

There seems to be an issue with the 300x and DX8. With the DX8 my 300x would not pass a range test of more than 18 paces. I even tried to range test with the 300x on a wood TV tray to get it up off the ground.

I bound up the 300X to my DX7 and she would pass a range test of more than 30 paces.

The weird thing to me is, my 450x worked fine with my DX8????????

Now, I wait to see what HH comes up with AND I don't have my DX8 or my brand new 300X (which flew great with my DX7)
wavekatcher is offline Find More Posts by wavekatcher
Old Aug 10, 2012, 10:22 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wlee1017 View Post
my dx8 has no brownout issue
Meaningless... it has nothing to do with the transmitter.

Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
That sucks! What were the flight-conditions at the time of the brownout? For instance, were you just hovering around, or were you in the middle of an aggressive maneuver?

Joel
I was flying pretty hard but when it quit I was just making a regular banked turn over the runway. I was using the 85-75-85 throttle curve. It wasn't a warm day either, about 75 at the time. I'm going to put a BEC on it, and I'm sure it will be fine after that. I don't expect Horizon to replace anything for me - it was the ESC that failed and I'm not too hot on getting another one of those. I've had 2 other brown-outs with E-flite ESCs over the years. One of them killed Pink Lightning which was one of my favorite planes.
Old Aug 10, 2012, 03:34 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Quote:
Meaningless... it has nothing to do with the transmitter.

I was flying pretty hard but when it quit I was just making a regular banked turn over the runway. I was using the 85-75-85 throttle curve. It wasn't a warm day either, about 75 at the time. I'm going to put a BEC on it, and I'm sure it will be fine after that. I don't expect Horizon to replace anything for me - it was
that failed and I'm not too hot on getting another one of those. I've had 2 other brown-outs with E-flite ESCs over the years. One of them killed Pink Lightning which was one of my favorite planes.
I think what he meant is that he didn't have Brownout indications when he wasn't using his 3gx and dx8 combo....not that his dx8 was causing power issues.

Btw how do you know it was for sure your esc and not something else in your system like a range issue? Did you bench test the setup and note an rx powerloss? I ask because if you were flying it hard and it had an issue during a banked turn it is kind of odd it happened then rather than in the middle of a more power hungry maneuver.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 04:08 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
I think what he meant is that he didn't have Brownout indications when he wasn't using his 3gx and dx8 combo....not that his dx8 was causing power issues.

Btw how do you know it was for sure your esc and not something else in your system like a range issue? Did you bench test the setup and note an rx powerloss? I ask because if you were flying it hard and it had an issue during a banked turn it is kind of odd it happened then rather than in the middle of a more power hungry maneuver.
Well, the way things heat up, power usage and heat spikes don't coincide in time. If you did some move that caused the motor controller to heat up, it would be a couple seconds later that the BEC heated up. I was preparing a video review for this helicopter and I've done an over-the-top inspection on it, checking everything that could possibly be wrong.

The only way to be sure is to replicate the problem, and to do that I would need to have another crash. However, I will be pretty sure what the issue WAS, after I install the BEC and never have this problem again
Old Aug 10, 2012, 06:15 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
But that is only one cause of possible failure.
It could also be that a servo (or servos) is bad or going bad and overdrawing power and not your esc at all. I am not sure what this particular bec is rated at but you could bench test your servos.

Or it could still be a range issues with the beastx and your tx.
When I had the antenna issue not every time did it show up in a range check so range checks are not full proof test methods either.
RCG Plus Member
Old Aug 10, 2012, 09:55 PM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,392 Posts
Yeah I know but I'm not going to change all the servos too, only the one that stripped. If I have more problems I'll fix that too. The guy at the shop said the beastx can pull a lot of power, and in general I don't fly my helicopters without a BEC, so I think it's a good idea to install that anyway.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 07:57 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,349 Posts
Well I think I was less than a 1/16th of an inch from loosing my heli tin the ocean this morning.

After my second battery I noticed my front link was rubbing against the motor in flight. It seems that just below the link a very small section of the frame popped/broke off...or maybe was never there. It looks pretty clean if it broke but I dont recall ever noticing that void before...but it isnt an area I studied either. It is a small area about 1/8 of an inch that is open below the servo arm. Anyhow the motor almost completely wearing through the ball link. I really think if i missed the ball link wear on my preflight it would have been lost in the ocean since i have been flying laps about 30-60 yards out from shore. Luckily it is an area I check before every battery after reading with the issues others have had with the front link

If the void wasnt there before I am really unsure what could have stressed the frame so much at this point as I only do a very mild 3d and heavy power loops.

So in the last 8 flights one tail servo just stopped working inflight and now this. So now sadly I am grounded for the rest of my vacation

But first thing I am going to do when I get back home is package this heli up and send it to HH for inspection

I guess the upside was i didnt loose my heli and I did make a new friend in the down time....kids loved him too

EDIT:
I just noticed in the horizon hobby repair vid on the 300x product page has the gap too so I guess they come like that (2:37 into the vid)
http://www.youtube.com/watch?list=PL...ailpage#t=152s
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by indoorheli; Aug 11, 2012 at 08:38 PM.
Old Aug 11, 2012, 08:35 PM
dannylooper
United States, TX, Fort Worth
Joined Aug 2011
211 Posts
Got my carbon fiber blades form HH yesterday heli still has the shakes past 75% TC Brand new heli with balanced carbon fiber blades still has the shakes WHAT IN THA?

I noticed there heli in there video was spot on wish mine was
flybydanny is offline Find More Posts by flybydanny
Old Aug 12, 2012, 10:32 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,819 Posts
Got my cf blades from HH yesterday. They were within 0.02 grams of each other, but I balanced them anyway. Installed the blades & set up a flat 100% idle-up throttle curve. Spooled her up, switched to idle-up, and she was smooth as silk. Zero vibes at any HS. The tail is also rock-steady. Now I just need a bunch more high-quality, high cycle-life packs for this bird!

Joel
RCG Plus Member