HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 08, 2012, 11:08 AM
Making Stock Fly Like Modified
United States, PA, Philadelphia
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Check out the Protos 450.......with MKS DS95's on cyclic/tail, and the old reliable Quark. This was when I realized if a heli has some good quality plastic engineered parts, its just as good if not better than the bling. About 600 grams isnt bad for a 450 either
HeliFlyer711 is offline Find More Posts by HeliFlyer711
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Feb 13, 2012 at 05:49 AM.
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2012, 09:14 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,592 Posts
I can't believe that there isn't more interest in this heli!

John
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Feb 11, 2012, 10:24 PM
United States, NC, Winston-Salem
Joined Dec 2011
50 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by JohnM View Post

John
I think it's kick a$$. I'm still very early in my heli career, but I can see one of these in my future . Hopefully once they become available the reviews come pouring in.
Skidpad is offline Find More Posts by Skidpad
Old Feb 12, 2012, 03:04 AM
Joined Feb 2012
57 Posts
Quote:

John
I will buy one.
That's the perfect size for me, but my helicopter operator skills are not up to par yet.
But I'm learning.
Still working out a few design quirks in my stealth 120 design..
Done properly I think the loudest thing on it should be the blades beating the air.
Chuckster2 is offline Find More Posts by Chuckster2
Old Feb 12, 2012, 10:49 AM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:

John
I think it's because it has the 'Blade' name. Blade was never really considered a serious heli line by the guys at the field. I think because of the Blade CP/ Pro & SR series of helis were never really up to par with belt/torque tube driven tails. The specs are still not quite up to par with respect to disk diameter and weight but this is a great step. The Blade 400/450 helis have too many plastic parts compared to it's competitors and I guess that's not supposed to be as good. On the other hand, the 500X is going to raise quite a few eye brows by those 'serious' RC heli pilots.

I gather this solely from what I've read. I'm really not that great of a heli pilot and I don't have the ability to push these things to their limits. All I can say is that I have Blade helis and Trex clones and I'm generally happier with my blade products. The best contrast is between my Blade 450 3D and my Trex 450 Pro clone. I enjoy the Blade much more.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Feb 12, 2012, 12:42 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,997 Posts
Quote:

John
I think it is the price, it is around twice that of Blade helis of similar sizes. The thing going for it is that you have got a highly regarded BeastX unit. Otherwise, the rest of the electronic and the mechanical design is untested.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 12, 2012, 05:33 PM
Lifetime Member
Providence, RI, USA
Joined Dec 1996
2,592 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by zadaw View Post
I think it is the price, it is around twice that of Blade helis of similar sizes. The thing going for it is that you have got a highly regarded BeastX unit. Otherwise, the rest of the electronic and the mechanical design is untested.
The AR7200BX 7-Channel DSMX Flybarless Control System sells for $240 itself, so I think the price is reasonable.

john
JohnM is offline Find More Posts by JohnM
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:09 PM
Chicago 'burbs
Joined May 2006
1,683 Posts
Quote:
It looks like the servos are the same as the Blade 4503D (at least I think so), so there isn't much unknown about the electronic side of this heli. The 25A ESC sounds like a typical plain vanilla ESC (from the Eflite description). Motor is not a big deal one way or another.

I look at it this way. For the price of the receiver/microBeast, I spend ~$100 and get the rest of a BNF heli. That sounds pretty cheap, if I already wanted the receiver/microBeast.
Alan Hahn is offline Find More Posts by Alan Hahn
Old Feb 12, 2012, 07:24 PM
Australia...we live inverted.
Joined May 2008
5,409 Posts
I too think it is quite good value. The specs on the servos look quite reasonable (a little low on torque for the tail but they are running counter weights from memory).

"Proper" rx rather than an Eflight all-in-one.

The tail disk diameter looks huge from the spec and the heli does seem a little heavy for it's disk but so is a Rex 250 and plenty like them.

I think it is a step in the right direction and certainly reasonably priced. Durability and precision will be the interesting things to watch especially in regards to the tail mechanism's accuracy. The BeastX will take care of much of the head slop but tails are only good if they're well engineered.

Take a look at the Bobby Watts tail on the Gaui 255. That is done nicely imo.

Amp
Ampdraw is offline Find More Posts by Ampdraw
Old Feb 12, 2012, 08:23 PM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
5,997 Posts
Quote:
The AR7200BX 7-Channel DSMX Flybarless Control System sells for $240 itself, so I think the price is reasonable.

john
The price is reasonable only to those who can afford it and those who know about the BeastX. If it is outside your price range, you are not going to be interested however good it is. If price were not a consideration, then Mikado rather than Align would be the dominant brand today.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Last edited by zadaw; Feb 12, 2012 at 08:30 PM.
Old Feb 12, 2012, 09:16 PM
United States, FL, Boynton Beach
Joined Aug 2011
392 Posts
Quote:
The price is reasonable only to those who can afford it and those who know about the BeastX. If it is outside your price range, you are not going to be interested however good it is. .
It's exactly this reason why I think they'll keep the SR. I have two of them and they really helped me learn orientation, loops and rolls.
lkagan is offline Find More Posts by lkagan
Old Feb 13, 2012, 05:48 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Understanding that Blade is targeted to mostly beginners and have a loyal following IMO...... for 400.00, you know when you walk into the local HobbyTown USA and the owner looks at you like your dressed in a foam American Express black card - full body costume (can you get the visual?) it will be easier to spend that much, than 1,000 bucks just for an airframe I swear that guy wants to sell me a whole bunch of stuff that i dont need and for more than I need to spend on it.

BTW
I owned the old Blade 400, for a weekend and I did not like it at all. Promptly listed on the classfieds and Here's why;
1) Servos were weak
2) ESC got extremely hot (too hot to touch)
3) So hot It puffed 1 of my good lipos
4) Sloppy loose head
5) Flexy plastic frame
6) G110 Gyro 'nuff said
etc......
By the time I upgraded the servo's and the ESC and gyro, I might as well bought a T-450 Pro for the extra 200, which I did and have never looked back. With the well known build vids and a sat afternoon or 2, anyone with basic mechanical skills can build one.

On top of that Blade still insist on using brushed motors on all thier micro's and even this new quad thats out. I guess at some point you get to a place in the hobby where you want more from your equipment, and in order to get it you have to spend more for the quality. The one thing that Blade has going for it is DSM/2 and the rock solid customer base for RTF or BNF aircraft, its one of the smartest marketing campaigns in the hobby. Ive had every Blade heli up to the MCP-x release except the msrx and this new brushed quad, oh and as far as the quad spend an extra 150 or so and get the AR.Drone brushless motors all around and much better technology with adaptive video and sonar. For a little extra and if your not completely sold in DSM-X as your only radio protocol that you will ever use in your hobby lifetime......there is a lot better quality out there for a little more.

Im going to trade in the other vid I dropped in this thread for this one, this is one of todays if money is no object heli's for those who havent seen it.....

Anyways this is what a couple - few thousand will get you today. Check out the engineering behind this heli if you have the time. Sometimes I think we take this cheap plastic and carbon too seriously, its only when you see some of the best thats available that you realize how much of a hack you really are... LOL

Tareq Alsaadi - Alpine Heli Smackdown 2011 - Goblin 700 (3 min 33 sec)
Last edited by HeliFlyer711; Feb 13, 2012 at 06:12 AM.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:12 AM
Joined Feb 2012
57 Posts
I wonder how many blade 300s I could buy for the cost of one crash with that Goblin?
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:28 AM
Joined Oct 2009
2,219 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Chuckster2 View Post
I wonder how many blade 300s I could buy for the cost of one crash with that Goblin?
Hehe probably 1/2 of one, I read Bert K went in with one in Florida and the cost was no more than any other .90 or 700 size heli about 200.00. Of course thats just hear say.

This was just about todays latest engineering and to see where the hobby is going with some top end stuff thats out there, if you notice the Walkera MiniCP has the servos mounted all most the same as this heli but vertical still instead of horizontal. At least they seem to pick up on some new design features that lower the center of gravity or keep it near the main shaft. These are the things that excite me about this hobby not the same old same old from 2007 ya know

http://helidirect.com/sab-goblin-700-flybarless-electric-helicopter-kit-p-24943.hdx

Kudos to Blade for integrating the Beast-X and Spectrum RX into this affordable 300 size heli without a flybar head.
Old Feb 13, 2012, 06:41 AM
Joined Feb 2012
57 Posts
http://www.youtube.com/watch?feature...&v=YIOwHURs4-I

I'm still very new to this hobby but I am gonna go out on a limb and guess that this crash cost more than two hundred dollars.
Think I will stick with cheap plastic and twenty dollar repair bills for a while.