Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Jul 15, 2012, 10:28 PM
United States, CT, Waterbury
Joined Oct 2002
1,731 Posts
Turboparker - good stuff.. I use Futaba 9C and will have my 300X on Wednesday - anything I should know for TX setup?!

Thanks!
TurboRacer is offline Find More Posts by TurboRacer
to remove ads between posts
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:29 PM
Joined Jul 2011
1,389 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by TurboRacer View Post
Turboparker - good stuff.. I use Futaba 9C and will have my 300X on Wednesday - anything I should know for TX setup?!

Thanks!
Do you have spektrum plug-in module for Futaba? otherwise, I don't think you can bind 300X with your Futaba 9C.
wlee1017 is offline Find More Posts by wlee1017
Old Jul 15, 2012, 11:41 PM
Gopher huntin' stick jockey
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jasmine2501 View Post
Cool video, thanks for that. It looks nice, hopefully mine will be here soon!
Quote:
Originally Posted by J_skaggs View Post
I just got the 130X and like it very much but, you went and made me want a 300X too. Dang it! I was going to pass on the 300X as I have the 450X.
Jaz,

Thanks! The bird is smooth as butter in flight. A real treat to fly. I flew a few more packs this evening, working on fine-tuning my normal & idle-up settings to where I want them, and just slow-flying around the yard. Anyone who has mastered sport-flying with the mCP X (especially b/l conversions) should have no trouble hovering & slow-flying the 300X - especially on reduced rates.

This is what the BSR should have been! If I would have started out learning CP with the 300X instead of the BSR, I would have saved myself nearly a year of trying to get beyond hovering & slow-flight with that nasty-handling bird! It wasn't until I bought the mCP X that I got out of that rut. It was all due to the BSR's sloppy handling, which is pretty much the opposite of a confidence-builder for a new CP pilot. Much like trying to learn how to drive in a car that has a half-turn of play in the wheel, along with shot ball-joints & tie-rod ends! That's not the right way to learn. It is far, far better to learn to drive in a car with precise steering & predictable handling. The same is true when learning to fly RC aircraft. The 300X's rock-solid handling immediately instills confidence, which is the most important thing low-time pilots like me need in order to progress.

J_skaggs,

For me, helis are all about the convenience of flying in my yard & flying right from my deck, as I'm primarily a fixed-wing guy. If I have to go to the club field to fly, I'd rather fly fixed-wing. I'd have to go to the field to have any real fun with a 450-class bird. However, my yard is plenty big enough to wring-out the 130X, and to have some real fun with a 300-class bird. I see the 130X as a great aerobatic trainer for the 300X & larger birds, given that it behaves much like its larger brethren. I don't have to fight the idiosyncrasies of the heli while learning aerobatics, as I have to do when learning aerobatics with the mCP X.

Joel
turboparker is offline Find More Posts by turboparker
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 16, 2012 at 12:05 AM.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:04 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Quote:

Thanks!
TR,

Thanks! I assume that you already have a Spektrum DM8 module for your 9C. If not, you'll need to get one first.

Choose the 'H-1 swash' (or whatever the 1-servo swash is called in the 9C). You also need to reverse the aileron, throttle, and gyro channels. (This is different from the mCP X & 130X, which require all channels to be reversed, but don't use the gyro channel.) Other than the above, setup is no different than any other CP bird. I set the tail gyro rate to 54% in normal & 50% in idle-up. I also used a V-shaped throttle curve in idle-up, as recommended in the addendum. My 10C has 7-point curves, so the 5-point throttle & pitch curve numbers listed for Spektrum rigs aren't directly transferable to my 10C. I had to play around with the normal pitch & throttle curves a bit to get them where I want them to be. I had to do the same thing with the mCP X & 130X.

Does the 9C have 7-point curves, and do the values go from -100 to +100? If so, my curve numbers should transfer directly.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 16, 2012 at 10:51 AM. Reason: Typo
Old Jul 16, 2012, 06:30 AM
Joined Oct 2002
1,731 Posts
Joel -- Yes, I have the module. I use the 9C for my UMX's and my MCPX..

I have 5 point curves that go from -/+100 so it should be pretty similar!

Thanks for the help!!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 10:13 AM
Rocket Programmer
United States, AZ, Mesa
Joined Jul 2007
25,335 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by turboparker View Post
If I would have started out learning CP with the 300X instead of the BSR, I would have saved myself nearly a year of trying to get beyond hovering & slow-flight with that nasty-handling bird! It wasn't until I bought the mCP X that I got out of that rut. It was all due to the BSR's sloppy handling, which is pretty much the opposite of a confidence-builder for a new CP pilot. Much like trying to learn how to drive in a car that has a half-turn of play in the wheel, along with shot ball-joints & tie-rod ends! That's not the right way to learn. It is far, far better to learn to drive in a car with precise steering & predictable handling. The same is true when learning to fly RC aircraft. The 300X's rock-solid handling immediately instills confidence, which is the most important thing low-time pilots like me need in order to progress.
I seem to recall saying similar things myself... like... all the time!
jasmine2501 is offline Find More Posts by jasmine2501
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:20 AM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Joel -- Yes, I have the module. I use the 9C for my UMX's and my MCPX..

I have 5 point curves that go from -/+100 so it should be pretty similar!

Thanks for the help!!
You're welcome! Glad I could be of help.

Since you have 5-point curves & a range of -100/+100, it is relatively easy to translate the DX 7/8 settings from the manual. For instance, 80% on Spektrum's 0-100 pitch scale equates to +60 on our -100/+100 pitch scale, while 20% on Spektrum equates to - 60 on our rigs:
0.8 x 200 = 160; 160 - 100 = 60
0.2 x 200 = 40; 40 - 100 = -60

Packs are charged. Time to work on my normal mode curves so that I don't have a big surprise when switching to idle-up. (I really hate surprises when switching to idle-up! ) I was working on that last evening, but the biting flies were so thick that I couldn't finish the job.

11:15 AM, and it's already 94 F. It's supposed to hit 100+ today. Ugh! Guess I'll also be doing a heat-test whether I want to or not! Wind is 11-19 MPH, so I'll also be finding out how the bird handles a stiff breeze. I'll shoot some 'hovering & slow-flying in the wind' video.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:30 AM
2 seconds from crashing
United States, WA, Seattle
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Joel , can you post the weight and dimensions of the stock battery pack? Thanks
indoorheli is offline Find More Posts by indoorheli
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: FPV - DRQ250 and a little speed
Old Jul 16, 2012, 11:40 AM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,187 Posts
I can't find any stock batteries available..are there any plugnplay aftermarket available? Also what flight times with stock? Thanks!

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:12 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,731 Posts
I ordered a few of these:

Recommended by a member on HF. Will have my bird on Wednesday so can't comment on them just yet!
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:18 PM
Can't get enough
United States, WA, Puyallup
Joined May 2010
2,187 Posts
Quote:
I ordered a few of these:

Recommended by a member on HF. Will have my bird on Wednesday so can't comment on them just yet!
A little less flight times I would assume. Have used nanos in my mcp x but wasn't impressed with weight and performance.

J
jabsten is offline Find More Posts by jabsten
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:34 PM
Joined Oct 2002
1,731 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by jabsten View Post
A little less flight times I would assume. Have used nanos in my mcp x but wasn't impressed with weight and performance.

J

Huh, I loved the Nanotech 300's in my M5 MCPX.. That's all I flew after trying a few.
Once I went to TA915 and HP06V2 I had to get the Hyp 550's though.
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:37 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Nano's have always been hit or miss. They can go from either really great to 10 flights and no power..depends on the batch.
RCG Plus Member
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:42 PM
East Bethel, MN USA
Joined Jul 2009
11,438 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by indoorheli View Post
Joel , can you post the weight and dimensions of the stock battery pack? Thanks
IH,

The specs are listed on the battery page:

W: 35mm
H: 24mm
L: 68mm
Weight: 114g

My scale doesn't go high enough to weigh the pack, but my measured dimensions are:

H: 23mm
L: 69mm

I have a couple of Outrage NRG 1300 mAh 35c discharge/5c charge packs from my old BSR that fit the 300X. They seem to be working well in the 300X, but then I'm not flying this bird aggressively enough to assess battery performance.
They're now over 3 years old, but they have not puffed at all, and they still seem to perform well in other high-current apps. Performance & longevity seem to be on-par with quality packs such as Hyperion & Thunder Power. I see that they are still available from HeliDirect. However, I can no longer find any mention of Outrage LiPos on the Outrage RC website, and I've seen a number of questions posted on HF regarding the status of Outrage NRG LiPos - so I'm not sure what's up. (I hope the ones on HeliDirect are not old-stock. That would be scary, given than LiPos start to degrade immediately after they are made & continue to degrade while sitting on the shelf.) I just sent Outrage RC a message regarding the status of their NRG line. Hopefully, they will respond in a timely fashion.

H: 23mm
L: 72mm
Weight: 118g

For sport/endurance flying, I'd like to try Hyperion's LG345-1600-3S 45c pack. However, at 89mm, it might be too long to fit under the canopy. For performance, I'd like to try Thunder Power's TP1300-3SPP65. However, it may also be too long, at 98mm.

BTW - I got rid of the EC3 connector & converted the bird to Deans to match the rest of my non-UM electric fleet.

Joel
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by turboparker; Jul 16, 2012 at 01:46 PM. Reason: Additional info
Old Jul 16, 2012, 12:59 PM
2 seconds from crashing
Joined Sep 2007
7,346 Posts
Shows you how good my search skill are lately
Ill order a few of the nano's then and see what kind of luck I have at the HK slot machine.

Thanks
RCG Plus Member