SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:35 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,741 Posts
Discussion
Snoopy Doghouse

In 1968 I went to my first Toledo Show and saw some amazing things; one was the flying Snoopy Doghouse. I thought it was cool and appeared difficult to fly. Recently, I returned to the hobby and discovered how cheaply I could build a Doghouse and thought it would be fun to have for the clubs Dawn Patrol events. So I looked on the web and saw that there are some good kits available that appear to fly great. I wanted to scratch build one and liked the challenge of getting it to fly.

I first went on Google Images to see what Snoopy graphics were available and settled on the one with Woodstock. I then sized the Doghouse to my Parkzone F4U electronics and started foam flying. My first version had a much higher pitch to the roof, the roof was smaller and I left Snoopy off for flight tests. I could get it airborne but it was a handfull. I then increased the roof size and decreased the roof pitch; it flew better but was still a handfull. As I thought about the aerodynamics, I realized that a fixed Snoopy in the roof center could possibly counteract the severe opposite roll due to yaw. I attached Snoopy and the house actually flew, but was touchy in yaw. I declared success and prepared for the Dawn Patrols.

I have been asked many times for plans and have resisted because it is still a challenging flyer. Mine weighs 24 oz and would be much better at 12 oz or under or increased in size. I also would increase Snoopy's relative size by 25% or more because of the positive effect he has on the aerodynamics.

Anyway, this thread is for those that want to continue from my point of development. Let me repeat, this Doghouse is not easy to fly, but does fly.

RC Snoopy, Woodstock and Dog House at the MVF Dawn Patrol by Otto Dieffenbach (2 min 11 sec)
Otto Dieffenbach is offline Find More Posts by Otto Dieffenbach
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 01, 2012 at 12:47 PM. Reason: Update
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:44 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,741 Posts
Build and photos

Here are the dimensions in inches of the various parts:

Sides 14 x 7
Roof Panels 19 x 10
Center Plate with elevons 14 x 15 (Elevons cut out of the last 2.5 inches)
Vertical Tail with rudder 4.5 x 10 (Rudder 1.5 inches wide)
Center plate is located on the side 2.25 inches from the the roof joint.
Center peak of the roof is 3.5 inches above the outer edges.
CG is 4.25 inches from the roofs front edge.
Roof is centered on the side.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 01, 2012 at 03:03 PM. Reason: update
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:46 PM
An itch?. Scratch build.
South Wales U.K.
Joined Mar 2003
13,190 Posts
Hi Otto

Check out the 'Similar Threads' list, (scroll down), there has been a few threads.

There is even a commercial one - http://flyingthingz.com/flying-dog-house-white/
eflightray is online now Find More Posts by eflightray
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:55 PM
Joined Aug 2011
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by eflightray View Post
Hi Otto

Check out the 'Similar Threads' list, (scroll down), there has been a few threads.

There is even a commercial one - http://flyingthingz.com/flying-dog-house-white/
Thanx. This is to have a place to point to when people ask about mine. Best.
RCG Plus Member
Old Feb 02, 2012, 10:37 AM
Don't look at me like that....
United States, AR, McDougal
Joined Aug 2005
2,798 Posts
We have a guy in our club thats been flying Snoopy for years as a glo powered. He showed up at our indoor X-mas dinner with a foam e-power version. Flew great.
62pilot is offline Find More Posts by 62pilot
Old Feb 02, 2012, 11:07 AM
Joined Aug 2011
2,741 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 62pilot View Post
We have a guy in our club thats been flying Snoopy for years as a glo powered. He showed up at our indoor X-mas dinner with a foam e-power version. Flew great.
It would be great if he would post his plans to this thread or a link. I was reluctant to put mine up because it is a challenge.
RCG Plus Member
Last edited by Otto Dieffenbach; Feb 02, 2012 at 11:07 AM. Reason: spelling
Old Feb 05, 2012, 03:01 PM
When pigs fly rc
USA, NY, Chester
Joined Apr 2008
2,467 Posts
that dog house is fast!!!
rcrich is online now Find More Posts by rcrich