HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Feb 01, 2012, 09:14 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Help!
Just starting out but I want the best

I want to get into 3D Helicopter flying as a hobby but I have no flying experience yet, other than a $20 micro heli. 3d flying is my ultimate goal but I want to start with a heli I can build my skills with. I'm not really worried about the cost as long as it lasts and I don't have to sell and upgrade constantly. I have clear paddock about 4000m2 to practice on next to my house.

Here a my thoughts about getting started. Please correct or add anything you think would be helpful.

A. To start with I was thinking a Blade MSR
I can use it to fly indoors and get the hang of things with it outdoors.

B. For the TX I was thinking a Spektrum DX7
I can use it for 3D flying and a PC simulator.

C. Once I get the hang of things I want to get a ALIGN T-REX 600E PRO Flybarless Super Combo
This seems like a good all round heli and I've seen heaps of youtube clips of some very impressive 3D flying.

1. Are my choices for A,B,C a good starting point? Does anyone have any better ideas.

2. Is there a another heli I should get to practice with before getting the T-Rex 600e? Or is the 600 okay for a beginner to go to after many hours on the sim?

3. What's the best sim program to use?

I just don't want to buy something I will outgrow in terms of ability. I'm trying to be economical and I see myself sticking with this hobby so I want to get the best from the start.
Crash Expert is offline Find More Posts by Crash Expert
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 10:12 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Crash Expert View Post
I want to get into 3D Helicopter flying as a hobby but I have no flying experience yet, other than a $20 micro heli. 3d flying is my ultimate goal but I want to start with a heli I can build my skills with. I'm not really worried about the cost as long as it lasts and I don't have to sell and upgrade constantly. I have clear paddock about 4000m2 to practice on next to my house.

Here a my thoughts about getting started. Please correct or add anything you think would be helpful.

C. Once I get the hang of things I want to get a ALIGN T-REX 600E PRO Flybarless Super Combo
This seems like a good all round heli and I've seen heaps of youtube clips of some very impressive 3D flying.

1. Are my choices for A,B,C a good starting point? Does anyone have any better ideas.

2. Is there a another heli I should get to practice with before getting the T-Rex 600e? Or is the 600 okay for a beginner to go to after many hours on the sim?

I just don't want to buy something I will outgrow in terms of ability. I'm trying to be economical and I see myself sticking with this hobby so I want to get the best from the start.
The Blade MSR is OK but it has been discontinued. You may still be able to get it at a discounted price. The DX7 is certainly alright as well. It is the Align 600E that is really out. Although it may be very easy to fly, it is a very dangerous machine and very expensive to repair because of its size. Flying on a SIM is quite different to real life. Not only that, you cannot learn how to repair a heli safely on a SIM. Therefore the 600E is completely unsuitable as a first CP heli, mainly because of the danger it poses to the inexperienced.

If you have a DX7, your first CP should be the MCPx. It will allow you to learn how to do 3D to a certain level. The Phoenix simulator is regarded as the best at the moment. It has the heli models you mentioned.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:19 PM
Joined Dec 2011
27 Posts
Hi Crash Expert, only B is a good choice the rest will be a total waste of money. Zadaw is right get a Blade mcpx for starter. This "little evil" as I called it, is really suitable for beginner pilot and wished to do some 3D as well.
Reason:
1. It is light weight when you crash on the floor(more prefer grass field) you can still fly it without any repair cost. (I crashed it hundred of time only fixed 3 times)
2. Parts are inexpensive unless upgrading it to carbon fiber frame and tail boom
3. It is a CP heli, all the skills you have learned from this heli may transfer to abigger heli
4. It is safer

The next heli will be a 450 size heli. Big enough to fly outdoor and not that expensive. Recommended Blade 450 (best for bnf), if you want to build one go for t-rex 450 (need mechanics skill and patient, those screws and parts are small). and put a learner kit at the bottom and start from scratch again like how you fly a mcpx.(trust me, learner kit can safe you tons of money).
I suggest real flight simulator will be the best sim, but I think this website would help you on piloting skill
http://www.rchelicopterfun.com/how-t...licopters.html
I can fly inverted, Tic-toc, funnels and so on on the sim but real life have nothing similar to that.

Good luck and happy flying
samk00 is offline Find More Posts by samk00
Old Feb 01, 2012, 08:25 PM
Suspended Account
Joined Feb 2012
4 Posts
very good .first simulator
timidbunny is offline Find More Posts by timidbunny
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Feb 03, 2012, 01:01 AM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
Thanks for the info guys. Everything that has been said is very helpful. I'll be buying a Blade MCPx. I can get one from my local hobby shop for $169 AUD which is BNF.

For the TX would a Futaba 8FG be better than the Spektrum DX7? From reading through discussions about the 2 I think the Futaba 8FG sound better.

Do most people find that "Mode 2" is best? I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the throttle on the left, since I'm use to playing video games where you look around with the left thumbstick and move forward/back with the left.
Old Feb 03, 2012, 10:37 AM
Joined Oct 2008
105 Posts
Quote:
Thanks for the info guys. Everything that has been said is very helpful. I'll be buying a Blade MCPx. I can get one from my local hobby shop for $169 AUD which is BNF.

For the TX would a Futaba 8FG be better than the Spektrum DX7? From reading through discussions about the 2 I think the Futaba 8FG sound better.

Do most people find that "Mode 2" is best? I'm pretty sure I'd prefer the throttle on the left, since I'm use to playing video games where you look around with the left thumbstick and move forward/back with the left.
Where do you live? Throttle on the left is you live in the USA.. Or you can't give the TX away if you want to sell it some day!!!
With 30 years in this hobby,, I would stay with the DX7
DCT1 is offline Find More Posts by DCT1
Old Feb 06, 2012, 07:38 AM
Hong Kong
Joined Jan 2010
6,246 Posts
It is now Mode 2 for almost every newcomer now, and this include countries where Mode 1 used to predominate. It is easier to learn how to hover and to do 3D with Mode 2. The futaba 8FG cannot be used to control a MCPx or MSR. If you can't get the MSR, I would recommend you look at the Nine Eagles Solo Pro or WL toys V911 instead.
zadaw is online now Find More Posts by zadaw
Old Feb 08, 2012, 03:10 PM
Joined Feb 2012
36 Posts
Quote:

between b and c you forgot a sim like phoenix (which i recommend)
dont even attempt to fly a CP without using a sim first, especially if your getting a 600...

although i would suggest looking into a gaui x5 the compass atom 500 and the protos 500
nick779 is offline Find More Posts by nick779
Old Feb 13, 2012, 03:25 PM
Joined Jan 2012
10 Posts
I've decided to get a Blade MCPx and a Sprektum DX8. I've gone with the DX8 since I can use it with the MCPx and upgrade the firmware in the future. Once I can handle the MCPx I'll look at getting a T-Rex 450. Thanks for all the help. I'll update when I get them.
Old Feb 14, 2012, 05:35 PM
Joined Apr 2008
1,579 Posts
Once you can handle the MCPx in its stock form, you can convert it to BL and 120 motor for 3D just like the bigger helis for about $150. Thereafter, go for the 50 and 90 size heli, skipping the 450 and 500 class all together.

Here is what the MCPx can do with the BL conversion and better tail motor.

Blade mcpx Hp05 BL motor (4 min 26 sec)

This particular BL MCPx had dual-motor tail. It's now flying with 120 motor and tail blades from extreme flight.
chopper62 is offline Find More Posts by chopper62
Old Feb 24, 2012, 10:52 PM
United States, TX, Dallas
Joined Aug 2011
294 Posts
you got good information and ideas for a beginner, but here is what I recommand after crashing and crashing and wasting lots of time and money,
1. Realflight G6 (I bought it specifically for its trex500)
2. blade CP,
3. DX8
4. Trex 600 FBL
you must learn on the simulator first, I highly recommend you get DX8, not sure how much more it is than the DX7 but why not pay a little more and get the best, do not get trex 450 because you will end up upgrading and upgrading till you finally get a 600, I would also recommend you look into 700 FBL nitro !

I think this is your best option
kayvannouri is offline Find More Posts by kayvannouri
Last edited by kayvannouri; Feb 24, 2012 at 10:59 PM.
Old Feb 26, 2012, 12:55 PM
United States, CA, Redondo Beach
Joined Mar 2005
631 Posts
If I could start all over

Sim
Mcpx, get used to it, then upgrade to c05 brushless
X5

I prefer futaba, but that's just me
P.I.Engineer is offline Find More Posts by P.I.Engineer
Old Feb 26, 2012, 02:27 PM
Joined Feb 2012
103 Posts
I went from an mcpx to a trex 450pro v2 3gx. I've read a ton and practice on the sim quite a bit but the t Rex is still a little much for me I'm getting better with it tho! No regrets!
Jamison816 is offline Find More Posts by Jamison816
Old Feb 29, 2012, 03:56 PM
Joined Jan 2011
1,062 Posts
Fusion 50. Furion 7, logo 600. theres the best. have fun flying!
stingeragents is offline Find More Posts by stingeragents
Old Mar 01, 2012, 03:07 PM
Joined Jan 2012
29 Posts
MCPX V2 as a first CP

Hmmmm. . . . I am really too new at this (almost 3 months) to give advice, but - my experience with the MCPX is "mixed". While I really like this little devil, it is a handful so far. I started on a coax, then fixed pitched, but practicing in RealFlight the whole time. In the sim, I can hover somewhat and am practicing slow movements, but I feel far more comfortable than when I first started.

I can fly my FP heli's okay, although they tend to give the false illusion that you can handle a real CP heli. Then, I got my mCPX v2 - silly me! I could get it into a hover, but once it departs from that - zoom! It is mighty quick and you need your reflexes turned way up.

Finally - they are not indestructible as you would be led to believe. Soft grass is the key until you master it (which I have not). Good luck.
jayevergreen is offline Find More Posts by jayevergreen