HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:50 PM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
United States, NV, Las Vegas
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
When I first did the upgrade, the file did not come across right and when I put it in the radio started blinking.. I was afraid to turn it off, I thought, OMG I am gonna corrupt the firmware. I had a vision of packing my shiny new 18 up and shipping it back to HH . However, I did turn it off and deleted the exsisting file from the SD card, re-copied it and it updated fine.

The reason, I am telling everyone this, is because the same exact thing happened to my Brother. He called me up, freaking out as well. I told him what I did and it worked for him also.

Just a heads up boys!!
stvinvegas is online now Find More Posts by stvinvegas
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Jun 02, 2012, 06:54 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,424 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by duworm View Post
The DX18 has sliders! For some of you it mag get better. In addition to just being a plain slider, you can either turn the slider into a switch (both 2 position and 3 position) or run it as a slider and a switch at the same time. You can also place the switch anywhere you want along the arc of the slider.
And for those who don't like digital trim on your throttle, you can change it (on the Trim Setup menu) from Digital to Left or Right Lever.

I was showing it to a guy at the field today and that was an "OH WOW!" moment. When he left he was on his way to the store to order one.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2012, 07:03 PM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
And for those who don't like digital trim on your throttle, you can change it (on the Trim Setup menu) from Digital to Left or Right Lever.

I was showing it to a guy at the field today and that was an "OH WOW!" moment. When he left he was on his way to the store to order one.

Andy
I love digital trim for throttle, that is the biggest thing I hated about the 9503.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 02, 2012, 09:21 PM
Ontario, Canada
Joined Feb 2004
84 Posts
Picked mine up earlier - nice solid feel, balances properly without a balanced, much nicer hi Res screen compared to the dx8 - very nice screen layouts for setup. Finally a Spektrum radio that allows points to be added, removed and placed on the throttle and pitch curves

Only time for one flight this evening - felt great - very happy so far.
bob00 is offline Find More Posts by bob00
Old Jun 03, 2012, 12:39 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
103 Posts
Had a chance to play with mine a bit today. Overall, I really like the "feel". Nicely balanced (better than my JR11x), I like the rubber on the sides, and really like the feel of the roller. The stock stick tension setting is pretty stiff for short sticks. Need to play with that. Somebody previously was saying that the radio felt a bit cheap, but I dont agree. Its not like the metal case radios, but its great for a plastic case. I think I am going to really like this radio (wont know for sure until I actually program some complicated models)

As has been excessively discussed, the text is kind of small. Its pretty crisp, which helps. I am quite willing to have small text when it means there is a lot of info on the screen, and thats true on a lot of screens. I really like the mixing setup screens that include the servo monitor info on the side. WAY nicer than the other radios I have used recently.

HOWEVER.. I put in my "user name" and the text entry screen had a bit of small text and all the rest was blank. The character I was inputting had a box around it, which made it harder to discern the current character there. If you want to do the interface that way, then make it bigger. If you want small characters, put up a screen showing the whole available character set and let me scroll through that. If I want to enter a space or a number, I have no clue which way to scroll to get there quickly. It did seem that the text entry was being a bit smart about upper and lower case characters, which was nice, but again, no clue which way is the quick way to the character I want to get if its not in the current alpha sequence.

Now, admittedly, text entry is not something I need to do often, and the current setup works. But, IMHO, JR 9303 and 11x do it better. (and the Futaba 8FG I was using yesterday does it a lot worse).

Bob
parky is offline Find More Posts by parky
Old Jun 03, 2012, 06:54 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
I guess that is all for now since I don't expect to get much time to try any set-ups until a couple weeks.
Being an early riser I got a chance to mess around a bit. Very slick programming considering the jump in complexity from the DX7. I got dual elevators and 4 servo wing (2 AIL, 2FLP) set up with 5 notches of slow moving flaps done in about a half hour. And that was starting from pulling out the 7CH Rx. All without even looking at the manual. Have not set the throws right on yet, just eyeballing it.

I am loving this radio.
davidmc36 is online now Find More Posts by davidmc36
Old Jun 03, 2012, 07:02 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,011 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
....If I want to enter a space or a number, I have no clue which way to scroll to get there quickly. It did seem that the text entry was being a bit smart about upper and lower case characters, which was nice, but again, no clue which way is the quick way to the character I want to get if its not in the current alpha sequence....
The text entry can take a wee bit of getting used to. Having lots of experience with the roller method on scanning Rx's I found it 9/10. With the radios I am used to, when you scroll over to start the next letter, it begins with the same letter you just put into the previous space, whether upper or lower case, just based on the last letter you did. That actually streamlines the text entering process. It is quite significant how often the next letter in a word is either the same as the last one or very close to it in the alphabet. The 18's setup is not what you would call painful, just lacking one or two refinements.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 08:20 AM
No bounce, No play.
Canada, ON, Ottawa
Joined Oct 2010
3,011 Posts
Elevator Offset

So here is simething I ran into.

Set up elevator offset in the Flap System and it follows the speed of the flaps.

Flaps are on Switch B

To get 5 flap positions I used Mix Switch C to Right Flap.

Then to get an elevator offset for the switch C positions I mixed C to elevator.

The elevator offset moves instantly with the C switch selections.

So maybe the way to get all elevator offsets to move slowly is to leave it at zero in Flap System and just use a Flap to Elevator Mix?

I am sure I will soon see the value of 16 programmable mixes.
Old Jun 03, 2012, 09:31 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,266 Posts
If you need or want so many flap increments why not just use the sliders for flaps?

I am sure there is a way of doing it the way you like. I just can't say more until I get one.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:04 AM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
Ok boy's, so riddle me this?

I am done with all my models, and saved the best for last. My Habu 32.

When I turn on Dual Ail, Dual Flap and Dual Elevator, The Gear option disappears in Channel assign. I was going crazy so I reset the model. I found out that If I set the wing type to Flaperon it comes back. But if I change to Dual Ail, Flap and Elevator, it makes you assign it to something else. Gear with Gear is gone?
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:23 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,266 Posts
That is spektrum programming using default channels for certain wing types.

Just re-assign the gear switch to another free AUX channel.

DX8 does the same thing.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:36 AM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
That is spektrum programming using default channels for certain wing types.

Just re-assign the gear switch to another free AUX channel.

DX8 does the same thing.
So, If I assign it to Aux 5 can I still leave it plugged into gear
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:41 AM
Fly low, fly fast.
United Kingdom, Scotland
Joined Dec 2005
58 Posts
No gear socket on rx will be used for one of the mated mixes, eg flaperon. You have to plug the gear connector into a free auxiliary socket and then go into switch assignment and assign that auxiliary channel to the gear switch. So in the end you will move the gear switch but the signal will be coming out of the auxiliary channel/socket you have now connected the gear system.
Reaps is offline Find More Posts by Reaps
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:44 AM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
This will not work. I have a 9ch RX. All aux are taken. Left Ail, Left Elv, Right and Left flap take up Aux 1-4. Gear is plugged into gear on the RX.
Site Sponsor
Old Jun 03, 2012, 10:53 AM
Friendly Hobbies - Owner
Joined Dec 2006
433 Posts
Well this seems a little dumb to me. I can fix it, but I have to plug my left flap into the gear on the RX and move the gear to an Aux.

If I am thinking wrong let me know. Gear should stay on gear and not force you to something else when you have 5 aux. Sounds to me this is old programming from lower channel models that did not get updated in the 18
Site Sponsor