HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old May 24, 2012, 07:40 AM
Vienna, Austria
Joined Oct 2010
2,551 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aeajr View Post
And most of those things have VERY short ranges or are very low power. I believe blue tooth has a range of about 30 feet, for example

Smart phones are on a different frequency band, I believe.

The 2.4 GHz wireless in my house barely reaches the property line.

Most RC fields do not have hot spots on them, and even if they do, there are not hundreds of devices linking to that hot spot. It is because of that short range that they are called hot spots

Not saying they are not a consideration. I am saying they are not the same as having 100s of RC transmitters on with the need to work at ranges up to a mile. If they were, none of them would work because the environment would be too noisy.
Of course, but BT also can have up to 100mW, also Wifi. You get a "poor" WiFi range because you need MBit, therefore a better signal quality is needed. But the noise is there. And also most smartphones can act as an access point.

It is in the nature and purpose of the 2.4GHz band that everyone uses it. And if someone uses (illegal) 2.4GHz video TXs nearby (let's say with 1W), which pollute the band heaviely...

I have lots of DSM2 RXs in my foamies with no problems. But for my valuable stuff, I use DSM-X
Mukenukem is online now Find More Posts by Mukenukem
to remove ads between posts
Old May 24, 2012, 08:12 AM
Proud member of LISF and ESL
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by czorzella View Post
Pavcon, I suggest you read Bruce Simpson's review entirely at http://www.rcmodelreviews.com/dx8dsmxreview.shtml
If we were to read this, what is it that you want us to see? What I conclude may not be what you expect.
aeajr is offline Find More Posts by aeajr
Old May 24, 2012, 08:29 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
Andy,

Does the DX-18 have programmed multi engine capability other than using mixes and such? If not, is it planned for an upgrade? Thanks

Howard
No it doesn't, per se, but it's very simple to implement. NO MIXING REQUIRED!

You can create a throttle curve, cut, etc. as you normally would for the main throttle channel. You make multiple copies of the THR channel using the channel mapping feature.

If you're using liquid-fuel power you can adjust the curves for each carb using the Servo Balance feature, as well as adjusting the endpoints and such.

You don't get differential thrust, but you get a good multi-engine support very easily.

You would use the same technique to gang multiple aileron servos together such as for a large aerobatic plane.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 24, 2012, 08:31 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,646 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by davidmc36 View Post
How many degrees of rotation do the "sliders" actually have? From the pictures it looks like about 45 deg.
Yeah, it's about that, I don't have an exact number but you get a good idea from the photos online.

It's about the same as other radios I've handled with sliders.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old May 24, 2012, 08:43 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,473 Posts
Quote:
DX7 is upgradable to DSMX
http://www.horizonhobby.com/products...only-SPMDX7UPG

None of your receivers woudl need to be upgraded.
That's not true. To actually use DSMX, both the Tx and Rxs have to be DSMX. I could still USE my old Rxs, but they would be operating on DSM2.

Quote:
Originally Posted by parky View Post
My experience with a JR 11X and 12 ch DSMX RX is that the connection time is usually very fast, but sometimes its VERY VERY slow.. over 15 seconds! Not sure why the difference, and I am not too concerned about it.

Bob
Wow, really? I was told that was one of the big improvements. Sad to hear its so slow sometimes. I'd have to wait and see more reports of that before deciding for myself.
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old May 24, 2012, 08:55 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Never experienced so low rebinding with dsmx
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old May 24, 2012, 09:09 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
That's not true. To actually use DSMX, both the Tx and Rxs have to be DSMX. I could still USE my old Rxs, but they would be operating on DSM2.
You are correct and, unless you are having a problem with DSM2, what's wrong with that? What I was saying was that none of your DSM2 only receivers would need to be upgraded in order to use them wtih your new radio. So you do not NEED to replace them.

However if you WANT to make DSMX a requirement for absolutely every receiver in the fleet than those that are not DSMX would have to be replaced. You are correct.

I was trying to make that point to remove cost of new receivers as a barrier to upgrading your radio to DSMX. For $75 you have a DSMX/DSM2 radio and can add receivers as you go. Backward compatibility is one of the benefits of the Spektrum line. Too bad Futaba doesn't do the same.
Old May 24, 2012, 10:34 AM
Grand Rapids, MI
Joined Jun 2005
1,473 Posts
Right. Gotcha.

Futabas arent backwards compatible? So each new technology they come out with requires new tx & rx?? oof.

Ohh and hi! Just noticed it was you, aeajr. Remember me from rchangout?
Hornetnz is offline Find More Posts by Hornetnz
Old May 24, 2012, 11:48 AM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Hornetnz View Post
Right. Gotcha.

Futabas arent backwards compatible? So each new technology they come out with requires new tx & rx?? oof.

Ohh and hi! Just noticed it was you, aeajr. Remember me from rchangout?
Was not sure you were the same guy.

If you look at the compatibility Futaba Receiver chart at the bottom of the page at this link you will see a clear break between 7 and below and 8 and above as to what works with what. A real weird arrangement.
http://www.futaba-rc.com/receivers/air.html

So basically FASST is broken up into two protocols, 7 and under and 8 and over. 8 channel FASST receivers can't be used by 6 or 7 channel FASST transmitters. All Futaba FASST receivers are expensive but when you go over 7 channels the price REALLY jumps.

So now you have FHSS (new), FASST 7, FASST 8 and then FASSTEST (new) is out, but only on the 18 channel radio. I imagine the 8FG will be upgradeable some day to support them all too but they are not even hinting at that.

FASSTest is the latest revolution in Futaba 2.4GHz technology. The 18MZ is the first FASSTest system ever, a distinction which simultaneously makes it the first true 18-channel system in Futaba history, the most advanced 2.4GHz system in the world — and fully backwards-compatible with all FASST and S-FHSS systems. FASSTest technology also makes the 18MZ a bi-directional radio system capable of supporting a broad range of telemetry functions. Its high-voltage R7008SB receiver also offers modelers the unparalleled flexibility to use as many…or as few…of its 18 channels as desired.

And while the full list of FASSTest benefits is still in the making, one thing is clear: FASSTest technology has the potential to change the way 2.4GHz systems are designed forever.

However there are no upgrades available for the older FASST radios to include FHSS or FASSTEST, at least none that I have seen. If you want these you need to buy a new radio. No investment protection. In fact I am likely to go to FrSKY FASST receivers so I can put 8 channel receivers in my planes and still use my 7 channel module. I want the extra slot for accesories without having to use Y cables to attach things.

Why am I posting this here? Spektrum users don't have this problem.

Horizon even offered a SW upgrade for the older Spektrum and JR DSM2 radios to give them DSMX. THAT is true customer and investment protection that is not matched by any of the other top tier providers, as far as I know.

Spektrum users have it pretty good in this regard.
Last edited by aeajr; May 24, 2012 at 11:56 AM.
Old May 24, 2012, 02:09 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
If we were to read this, what is it that you want us to see? What I conclude may not be what you expect.
Aeajr, I was only refering to Pavcon's comment related to Bruce's review on DSMX and DX8 where he says "...Its weird how he gives a positive review on spektrum... :/"

The thing is that Bruce didn't give a positive review on spektrum, instead he clarified from technical viewpoint how the DSMX tecnology works and how it compairs to FHSS system like the Futaba FASST, FrSky ACSST and Hitec AFHSS system.

My opinion is that in Bruce's review, more specifically talking about the video review, not only he clarified a lot about how the spreadspectrum technology works, but also it seemed to me he made a totally unbiased review. Its worth reading and watch the video too.
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old May 24, 2012, 02:59 PM
LI, New York, USA
Joined Mar 2003
24,372 Posts
I have seen the video and read the report. Just didn't understand your comment.
Old May 24, 2012, 03:11 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,906 Posts
I liked the part where he says DSMX may very well be the best system out there.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old May 24, 2012, 04:16 PM
7.62x51
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
696 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
I liked the part where he says DSMX may very well be the best system out there.
He also applauds Spektrum for upgrading and living in the now. Bruce clearly gives a very postive review on DSMX. (He didn't with DSM2...)
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old May 24, 2012, 07:26 PM
United States, FL, Kissimmee
Joined Jan 2012
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
He also applauds Spektrum for upgrading and living in the now. Bruce clearly gives a very postive review on DSMX. (He didn't with DSM2...)
That's the reason why I placed an order for the DX18 on Feb 27, 2012.
czorzella is online now Find More Posts by czorzella
Old May 24, 2012, 09:01 PM
Detail Freak
Harbor City, CA
Joined Oct 2003
21,618 Posts
RE the DSM2 and DSMX, all you need to do is don't buy anymore DSM2 Rx's for now onward....
The 7010, 7610, 8000, etc, are all DSMX compatible, so when you get your Tx changed to DSMX, you'll be set....
Thats MY plan.

R,
Target
target is offline Find More Posts by target