HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 20, 2012, 10:27 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Andy,

Same thing over here, must be the PlayStation generation.
The Younger generation also seems to prefer the handheld Tx over the Pult way.
I'm not using the neck strap either, light and compact the way to go.

regards,
Danny
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:16 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Preview of the DX18 by Matthew Poots:
http://www.aerobatics-ni.org.uk/wpa/.../dx18-preview/
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:50 AM
Full Scale Piper Cub Driver
Hinckley, Ohio
Joined Nov 2008
2,395 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Andy,

Same thing over here, must be the PlayStation generation.
The Younger generation also seems to prefer the handheld Tx over the Pult way.
I'm not using the neck strap either, light and compact the way to go.

regards,
Danny
Pics from 2011 ETOC - how to hold Tx
Piper J3 is online now Find More Posts by Piper J3
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:00 PM
Airborne whenever I can.
Canada, AB, Edson
Joined Dec 2006
536 Posts
Well, this unit will be a very fine upgrade, for my DX7. Never had any problems with that unit, but it has become to limited for my hangar. The DX7 is still fine to fly the
BNF micro planes. But I'm will love the DX 18 for the possibilities it provides.

And the size will be great. I was considering the DX 10 for a while, but that one is far to expensive to my liking, I would rather go MC-32 then.

So I ordered my DX 18 already, And like many pilots around the Globe, I will be very pleased with it, for the next decade.

PAT
PAT-T is online now Find More Posts by PAT-T
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:02 PM
United States, FL, Miami
Joined Aug 2009
956 Posts
If thats the best way to hold it, Im glad I already have all the kids i want.
pach is offline Find More Posts by pach
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:37 PM
Sunnyvale, CA, USA
Joined Apr 2000
1,759 Posts
I just spilled my coffee
teamdavey is offline Find More Posts by teamdavey
Old Apr 20, 2012, 11:25 PM
Tucson, AZ
Joined Aug 2004
870 Posts
Andy, thank you for clarifying my original post, and reminding people about the "ignore" option

Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
Holey moley, i've never (openly) been called a troll before...
What a unpleasant thing to say!
To my best knowledge I've never done anything to deserve this.
Well Teryn... I don't know you, but I will tell you this:
I will just LOVE you back!
hahahaha
teryn1 is offline Find More Posts by teryn1
Last edited by teryn1; Apr 21, 2012 at 09:38 PM.
Old Apr 22, 2012, 06:37 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
I am a bit (most likely a lot) confused about the Flight Mode functions on the DX18 and I am using the manuals for the DX10 and DX8 for my source of information. I am use to using Flight Modes to be able to assign trims, mixes, servo speeds, curves, etc at the flip of a switch. For example if I want the elevator trim to be different (or the same) in two flight modes I name "Cruise" or "Land" I can do that. I can also energize specific mixes to all flight modes or just specific flight modes and so forth. When I read the DX manuals I can't find where/how you assign any of these to flight modes. I know I am missing something -- please point me in the right direction.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Apr 22, 2012, 08:09 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,910 Posts
The DX8 manual isn't going to help you any.

The DX10t/DX18 flight mode switches are selected using the Flight Mode Setup screen. On these screens you specify which switches to use to select the flight mode you want (up to 3 switches). In Heli mode you also specify the HOLD switch and what position it is active in.

With Sailplanes it's even more advanced. You need to tell it how many FM's you want - 2/3, 4/5, or totally Custom. With 2 or 3 you select a single switch to control the mode, with 4 or 5 you use two switches. With Custom you specify 3 switches, and this gives you access to all 10 possible FM's.

If you use the 2/3 or 4/5 options, the selection of what FM is in what switch position combination is pretty easy. You just adjust until you're happy with the 2, 3, 4, or 5 options. You can also rename each option if you so desire.

In the Custom mode, you specify what FM you are in for every switch position. You really don't want to do this unless you fly a very complicated ship or have some very precise needs. The pro guys who helped us develop this know how to use 10 FM's well, but the sample files they send me keep having 4 or 5 FM's defined, so I think 10 is probably overkill for most pilots.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 22, 2012, 10:55 PM
Joined Jan 2011
137 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

The DX10t/DX18 flight mode switches are selected using the Flight Mode Setup screen. On these screens you specify which switches to use to select the flight mode you want (up to 3 switches). In Heli mode you also specify the HOLD switch and what position it is active in.

With Sailplanes it's even more advanced. You need to tell it how many FM's you want - 2/3, 4/5, or totally Custom. With 2 or 3 you select a single switch to control the mode, with 4 or 5 you use two switches. With Custom you specify 3 switches, and this gives you access to all 10 possible FM's.

If you use the 2/3 or 4/5 options, the selection of what FM is in what switch position combination is pretty easy. You just adjust until you're happy with the 2, 3, 4, or 5 options. You can also rename each option if you so desire.

In the Custom mode, you specify what FM you are in for every switch position. You really don't want to do this unless you fly a very complicated ship or have some very precise needs. The pro guys who helped us develop this know how to use 10 FM's well, but the sample files they send me keep having 4 or 5 FM's defined, so I think 10 is probably overkill for most pilots.

Andy
Andy,I didn't look through the whole thread. Would you pls advise when this 18ch radio will be released?

Thanks

Su.
super2012 is offline Find More Posts by super2012
Old Apr 23, 2012, 12:30 AM
Whose plane is that?
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by super2012 View Post
pls advise when this 18ch radio will be released?

Thanks

Su.
Late July 2012
Looknup is offline Find More Posts by Looknup
Old Apr 23, 2012, 05:00 AM
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post

Andy
Andy,

Thanks -- that helps. I also re-read the DX10 manual for FM for all three AC types and it makes more sense now. I am still not clear about which attributes can be changed/modified as a function of which FM you switch to. For example, can digital trims for a plane be unique to a specific FM or selected to be the same across all FM, can mixes be turned on/off or values changed by moving from one FM to another, can D/R & Exponential be turned on/off or values changed by moving to different FM, can servo speed values be changed with different FM, etc. Your knowledge is really providing a great insight into this new radio. Thanks

Howard
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:00 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,910 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
Andy,I didn't look through the whole thread. Would you pls advise when this 18ch radio will be released?
This summer.

Quote:
Thanks -- that helps. I also re-read the DX10 manual for FM for all three AC types and it makes more sense now. I am still not clear about which attributes can be changed/modified as a function of which FM you switch to. For example, can digital trims for a plane be unique to a specific FM or selected to be the same across all FM, can mixes be turned on/off or values changed by moving from one FM to another, can D/R & Exponential be turned on/off or values changed by moving to different FM, can servo speed values be changed with different FM, etc.
Flight Mode is a logical switch which is created by one or more physical switches.

Digital trims can be unique to a FM or common to all FMs by selecting the appropriate Common/FMode option for that trim in the Trim Setup screen. On the DX8 all trims are ganged together; on the DX10t/DX18 each trim is independent of the others for this setting.

Because FM is a switch, it is on the switch list for all the other places where you would use a switch, including mixes, D/R-Expo, servo speed, etc. The number of checkboxes for active positions is based upon the number of FMs you have defined.

In sailplane there is one special case where you can select the Combo switch as your input for D/R-Expo. When you do this, the primary switch is FM and you select a secondary switch. This in essence gives you 3 D/R's per FM (all will have the same Expo curve but with different D/R settings).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 23, 2012, 08:43 AM
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Andy,

I got it this time, great answer -- thank you for sticking with me.

Howard
Old Apr 26, 2012, 03:00 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,808 Posts
http://www.rc-modellscout.de/spektru...bby-26760.html
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife