HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:37 PM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,815 Posts
I do feel it's a shame its has become bigger than dx8.
Would have preferred a little smaller, more compact.
It kind off surprises me, as there is (technically) absolutely no need for more volume. I mean, the technical stuff could probably me fitted in less than halve the volume.
So it seems to be a design strategy. One that, as most Tx are shrinking, is surprising to say the least.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:40 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by struggleforlife View Post
It kind off surprises me, as there is (technically) absolutely no need for more volume. I mean, the technical stuff could probably me fitted in less than halve the volume.
So it seems to be a design strategy. One that, as most Tx are shrinking, is surprising to say the least.
I think a Tx should have a "Substantial Feel". But if there is a lot of air space in there then I see your point.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:48 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,650 Posts
@ struggleforlife - Without having seen one up close nore held one in my hands I won't comment on how it feel or looks but I will say this. As much as I like the dual antenna in the radio (stubby & handle) I am somewhat disappointed that because of the stubby the radio will be much taller then the DX8/DX6i and of course would require I also get a case for it if I am lucky enough to get one.

But with that said if and or when I get one, I may never let it down long enough for it to be stored in a case.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:49 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,152 Posts
Quote:
It was designed for the ergonomics. The target market preferred the feel of the radio as it ended up.

We just gave the customers what they wanted.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 19, 2012, 05:52 PM
Los Angeles
Joined Oct 2010
1,519 Posts
I too like something substantial to hold. I noticed how much better my DX8 feels over my DX7 that is smaller. I think it goes back to having one in your hands to see if it is right for the individual. As for the case, I have Pelican case waiting..

Harry
Harry H is online now Find More Posts by Harry H
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:13 PM
Fort Wayne, In
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
I fondled one at Toledo last weekend and it does feel 'substantial' (which I liked). My current radio is the 9503 and this is a little wider and has the rubber grips on the side which felt different but somewhat better. The switches were basically in the same place as the 9503 so that was familiar to me. The sticks felt a little stiff to me but I'm told I can loosen them.

I plan to get one as soon as they're available.

Dave
djstar is offline Find More Posts by djstar
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:15 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
It was designed for the ergonomics. The target market preferred the feel of the radio as it ended up.

We just gave the customers what they wanted.

Andy
Apparently that was also a "Configurable Inactivity Alarm"

VP
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:45 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Victory Pete View Post
Apparently that was also a "Configurable Inactivity Alarm"

VP
Be careful Pete.Your hair is going to turn Purple.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 19, 2012, 06:50 PM
USA, NH, Bedford
Joined Oct 2009
424 Posts
Pardon me in advance if this has been answered, but is there an easy way to transfer the programs from my JR 9303 to the DX18?
ghoffman is offline Find More Posts by ghoffman
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:09 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,406 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ghoffman View Post
Pardon me in advance if this has been answered, but is there an easy way to transfer the programs from my JR 9303 to the DX18?
Not directly like with the SD card.Your best bet like any other radio would probably be to just set them up again on the new Tx.It should be a breeze with the model already being mechanically setup correctly.You may likely have to change a reverse and probably tweak on some subtrim to get everything correctly centered.There are always slight differences between different Tx models.Its also a chance to get familiar with the new radio.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Apr 19, 2012, 07:25 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Be careful Pete.Your hair is going to turn Purple.
Excuse me? The fact that the DX18 and DX10t has a "User-Configurable Alarm" doesn't seem "Significant" to you?

VP
Old Apr 19, 2012, 08:53 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,133 Posts
Quote:
Excuse me? The fact that the DX18 and DX10t has a "User-Configurable Alarm" doesn't seem "Significant" to you?

VP
Pete - I know you are passionate about the subject of the "Inactivity Alarms", but your Rants are starting to get Obnoxious and Childish. There are many of us who support you in the idea of having control over that function.

Constantly Hammering people like Andy will not make that happen any faster and may drive away those who are interested in the main topic of the threads you participate in.

I know you have a plethora of ideas that would be much more constructive than focusing on just the Alarm issue.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Apr 20, 2012, 12:43 AM
Whose plane is that?
United States, CA, Los Alamitos
Joined Feb 2008
40 Posts
give it a rest

Quote:

VP
not to me
Looknup is offline Find More Posts by Looknup
Old Apr 20, 2012, 02:58 AM
The Netherlands, LI, Gennep
Joined Feb 2011
1,815 Posts
Please, please, please, please, please shut up about the alarm.
struggleforlife is online now Find More Posts by struggleforlife
Old Apr 20, 2012, 05:28 AM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,002 Posts
Quote:
Well seems I'm not alone any longer in my point of view about the size of the DX18.
Size does matters, but there are limits, think the DX8 had reached the maximum size for a handheld Tx .
I can imagine that the so called pult transmitter users like it big and wide but they have another method or way for handling their stick's and knobs.
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Last edited by danny.act; Apr 20, 2012 at 05:33 AM.