Espritmodel.com Telemetry Radio
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:21 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,467 Posts
Hi Rich,

I won't be able to do Toledo this year. I had a TV spot to do this afternoon and taxes to do tomorrow.

If you turn off XPLUS (it's on the Frame Rate screen) then you have 11ms available on the remaining channels.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 13, 2012, 07:38 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,102 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Hi Rich,

I won't be able to do Toledo this year. I had a TV spot to do this afternoon and taxes to do tomorrow.

If you turn off XPLUS (it's on the Frame Rate screen) then you have 11ms available on the remaining channels.

Andy
Thanks!!

Sorry you could not make it here.
Buschbarber is offline Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Apr 14, 2012, 12:57 AM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
681 Posts
Andy,

Is the calibration just as good as say a JR 11X? The reason I ask is because when monitoring the servos on my DX8, I get variations with moving the gimbals and returning them to neutral. My buddies 11X is dead on. It reads the same all the time, every time.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Apr 14, 2012, 05:17 AM
Germany, NDS, Brunswick
Joined Apr 2012
4 Posts
Quote:
Hi Rich,

Andy
Hi,
Does "remaining Channels" mean 10 or 12 channels?
Hendrik
HeldderStille is offline Find More Posts by HeldderStille
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:50 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
Andy,

Is the calibration just as good as say a JR 11X? The reason I ask is because when monitoring the servos on my DX8, I get variations with moving the gimbals and returning them to neutral. My buddies 11X is dead on. It reads the same all the time, every time.
The DX18 sticks are just as good as the 11X sticks. They are not the DX8 gimbals.

You need to tighten your springs a little. My DX8 returns to 0 every single time.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2012, 09:51 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,467 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by HeldderStille View Post
Hi,
Does "remaining Channels" mean 10 or 12 channels?
Hendrik

You need to enable XPLUS to activate the channels X+1 and X+2 for programming, but once programmed you can disable XPLUS and they will continue to function as AUX6 ans AUX7.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 14, 2012, 11:28 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,577 Posts
Quote:
The DX18 sticks are just as good as the 11X sticks. They are not the DX8 gimbals.

You need to tighten your springs a little. My DX8 returns to 0 every single time.

Andy
For those with a gentle touch -
richard hanson is online now Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:35 PM
Fort Wayne, In
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
Hey folks, I too was able to fondle the DX18 at Toledo yesterday. The rubber grips felt a little different (I use a JR9503) but I think I would like it better. To me the sticks felt like they had a lot of spring tension. More than I'm used to. I talked to Danny Snyder there and he said they were easily adjustable to my liking.

He also confirmed that if I were using the AR12020 or AR12120 receiver that I could have 12 channels at 2048 and the remaining at 512. I'm building a 12 foot wingspan B-17 and can use everyone of these channels. This radio will save me the cost of 5 or 6 Matchboxes so that is a big plus for me!

Overall it felt good and solid in my hands with switches easily accessable and very similar to the layout I'm used to with the 9503.

I did pick up an AR12020 receiver and the TM1000 Telemetry module at the show. Couldn't find anyone who had the XPlus 8 module though. Now I just have to wait for the DX18 to hit the market!! :-)

Dave
djstar is online now Find More Posts by djstar
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:56 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstar View Post
Hey folks, I too was able to fondle the DX18 at Toledo yesterday. The rubber grips felt a little different (I use a JR9503) but I think I would like it better. To me the sticks felt like they had a lot of spring tension. More than I'm used to. I talked to Danny Snyder there and he said they were easily adjustable to my liking.

He also confirmed that if I were using the AR12020 or AR12120 receiver that I could have 12 channels at 2048 and the remaining at 512. I'm building a 12 foot wingspan B-17 and can use everyone of these channels. This radio will save me the cost of 5 or 6 Matchboxes so that is a big plus for me!

Overall it felt good and solid in my hands with switches easily accessable and very similar to the layout I'm used to with the 9503.

I did pick up an AR12020 receiver and the TM1000 Telemetry module at the show. Couldn't find anyone who had the XPlus 8 module though. Now I just have to wait for the DX18 to hit the market!! :-)

Dave
How did the "Trims Display" look?

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
Old Apr 14, 2012, 02:58 PM
United States, LA, Shreveport
Joined Jul 2010
681 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by ElIntocable View Post
Andy,

Quote:

Andy
That's good to hear about the DX18 sticks. I have tightened up the springs a bit. Even when I'm not moving the sticks, I get occasional flickerings on the servo monitor screen. Keep in mind I've never had any issues when flying; and I have 19 planes/helis. It just kind of makes me a little upset knowing, at the time, I bought the top of the line Spektrum radio and it's not 100% rock solid, only 99%.
ElIntocable is offline Find More Posts by ElIntocable
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:06 PM
Fort Wayne, In
Joined Jul 2004
49 Posts
VP,

If you're refering to the main display where you have the bar and then the number + or -, I didn't pay too much attention to that but what I do recall was that it looked similar to my 9503. I pay attention to the number vs the actual moving line so I really didn't notice too much different for me.

Dave
djstar is online now Find More Posts by djstar
Old Apr 14, 2012, 03:35 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by djstar View Post
VP,

If you're refering to the main display where you have the bar and then the number + or -, I didn't pay too much attention to that but what I do recall was that it looked similar to my 9503. I pay attention to the number vs the actual moving line so I really didn't notice too much different for me.

Dave
Well I am glad to hear there is a number value. The displays on the DX8 are vague and indistinct.

VP
Last edited by Victory Pete; Apr 14, 2012 at 04:00 PM.
Old Apr 15, 2012, 01:46 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Andy,
I think the checklist feature is a good idea. Is it completely user configurable?

VP
Old Apr 17, 2012, 09:01 AM
Australia, NSW, Meadowbank
Joined Nov 2010
194 Posts
How suitable would this be for DLG use? Launch preset on a momentary switch is a very desirable feature and it looks like switch wise, it's the same as the DX8. Is assigning a mix to the bind button on this available?

Or do I have to go buy a Multiplex...
ecenshu is offline Find More Posts by ecenshu
Old Apr 17, 2012, 10:22 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
22,467 Posts
The DX18 is very much a radio for gliders, not just DLG but full-house as well.

The DX18 allows all the switches, even the pseudo switches, to be used as mix controls and as mix master inputs. You can also use the button as a flight mode input switch (there are 4 switch inputs available to control FM's - 3 to access the table plus a 4th for priority mode vs. table).

Andy
Site Sponsor