HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:07 PM
Suspended Account
Rhode Island USA
Joined Aug 2010
5,350 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by freechip View Post
It's not like the manual is never going to come out. It will come out when it's time. Then you can decide if you buy one or not, heck I got my name on one but I am still going to my LHS and play with it first. The manual can never fill that need to hold the radio in hand before buying.

I do understand that many don't have LHS. You guys are brave buying something blind sort of speak.
LHS doesnt offer refunds. Horizon Hobby does.

VP
Victory Pete is offline Find More Posts by Victory Pete
Reply With Quote  (Disabled)
to remove ads between posts
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:29 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Howard L View Post
The DX 10 has the switches pre-labeled to functions and the pictures of the DX18 shows the switches simply named A,B,C etc.
No, the DX10t switches are named A, B, etc.

Externally the DX7s/DX8 switches were named according to default function, but internally they are A, B, C, etc. They are just as assignable, although the current DX7s/DX8 menus do provide some limitation on assignments that are appropriate for a step-up radio (for users moving up from DX6i).

Quote:
Also, the DX10 does not have a "Function or Channel" screen where you can view all of the assigned functions to channels and trims to trim switches and be able to move them to where ever you prefer or need. Will the DX18 move in that direction.
The Channel Assignment screen is available in both the DX18 and DX10t. It allows the users to move channel functions around on the receiver ports.

They also both include Channel Input screens to allow assignment of any input (switch or analog) to any aux channel.

The guys internally who use it on their JR planes have used the mapping function to get things the same way they had them in their old radios.

Quote:
I view the DX10 as a DX8 with feature and hardware bling rather than a move to join the big boy capability. Will the DX18 use boolean logic and provide all mixes to be assigned as a function of a flight mode.
You really need to get your hands on a DX10t and start playing with it! You'll see your view is missing some stuff But it would still be missing stuff, as the DX18 is much more than just a DX10t in new clothes.

The DX18 does provide combo switch inputs for mixes, allowing AND/OR activation of mixes from multiple sources (including the position of sliders and sticks).

The flight mode (a logical switch of up to 10 positions) can be used to activate anything where you would put a physical switch or analog input acting as a switch.

That means you can have a mix that is activated in any combination of flight modes you desire. Or you can activate it by a combination of a flight mode and a stick position, or a switch and a slider, or two switches, or a slider and a stick, etc.

Quote:
Will the DX18 provide for linking/not linking mixes and trims.
Yes, just like the DX7s, DX8, and DX10t you can enable or disable Trim Include. This is noted as "Trim: Inh/Act" on the screens.

Quote:
Will the DX18 provide something comparable to the Futaba AFR function - very useful and powerful?
I don't use Futaba, and would need to investigate what "AFR" stands for, to be able to say yes or no on that. Most of the time the specification for functionality is specified for me without saying, "This is the same as feature XXX from brand YYYY."

Quote:
Without the manual it is really difficult to make rationale judgments. Your manuals are light years ahead of the Futaba manuals so you should take advantage of that.
Thanks for the compliment, I'll make sure the manuals folks know you made it.

Quote:
No manual -- no purchase. Show me the manual.
All in due time. I know they're putting a lot of effort into the DX18 manual, and what I've seen so far has been really good, so I'm sure you'll be pleased.

Andy
AndyKunz is online now Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:41 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,005 Posts
Futaba 's "AFR" function stands for: Adjustable Function Rate. Not to confuse with 'ATV' function!

Short explanation:
http://www.rcuniverse.com/forum/m_87...tm.htm#8726799
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Old Apr 12, 2012, 04:52 PM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
Everybody has a method which works best for them-
The DX8 and as I understand it -the 18 has a more user friendly approach

You select pairs first and then you can fiddle with them after they are paired

Example: The "wing type " pairs (groups) surfaces -if desired - then you tweak as needed.
OR do a mix if you want the pairs in different slots on the rx.
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 12, 2012, 05:24 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,023 Posts
Thanks, Danny.

Reading that brief description it sounds like using the Dual Rates, Balance and Travel and Absolute Travel that the DX10t and DX18 both include. Just a different way to arrive at the same result.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 03:49 AM
Chester UK
Joined Mar 2006
159 Posts
variable mix

Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
You won't until the radio is about to release - that's our policy. For now the DX10t manual is the closest you can find (except for mechanical features, the DX18 is a superset of the DX10t).

The purpose of this thread is to ask questions and get answers. I can answer most questions, so go ahead and ask.

Andy
I thought I'd asked this before, but I cant' find it or an answer, so sorry if I'm repeating my question.

On my Futaba I can set up a mix, lets say elevator to flapperon so my flaps go down as my elevator moves up.
I can then set one of the variable knobs to control the amount of mix.
Then I go fly and play with the amount of mix while my plane is in the air and get the mix just right by turning the knob on the Tx.

I can't do that on my DX8 - I have to set, say a 50% mix on the ground then fly and try it - then land to adjust the mix, then go fly . . . . . can't adjust the mix while the plane's in the air.

Will I be able to do this with the DX18?
If so I'm having one.
dodlestonian is offline Find More Posts by dodlestonian
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:27 AM
United States, FL, Melbourne
Joined Jul 2005
323 Posts
Andy,

Thank you very much for your response (post 767) to my many questions and request to see the DX18 manual. I read every one of your answers for content, including the ones where you indicated that my statements were incorrect which, after more research, I fully agree with your position. I was wrong. For me, your posts on this forum are the most valued information available for the DX18 and I really appreciate you taking the time and having the patience to deal with us grown up kids. Thanks. I will read, once again, the DX10 manual but, what I am waiting on is the dX18 manual.

The Futaba AFR (Adjustable Function Rate) screen is where you can add DR, or Exponential, or simply adjust the function curve (linear, point to point, smoothed, 17 point throttle curve, etc) to fit your needs for every flight control function without using any mixes. It can be turned on or off via switches, sticks, flight modes, boolean logic and so forth.

Howard
Howard L is offline Find More Posts by Howard L
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:49 AM
Dallas, TX
Joined Jan 2010
753 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlestonian View Post
I thought I'd asked this before, but I cant' find it or an answer, so sorry if I'm repeating my question..
You did, but it was in the DX8/10 thread.

The answer was 'No' for the DX18

http://www.rcgroups.com/forums/showp...ostcount=15080
Telrin is offline Find More Posts by Telrin
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:02 AM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,097 Posts
DX18 System with AR9020 by Spektrum (2 min 11 sec)
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:44 AM
United States, UT, Salt Lake City
Joined Oct 2007
6,984 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by dodlestonian View Post
I thought I'd asked this before, but I cant' find it or an answer, so sorry if I'm repeating my question.

On my Futaba I can set up a mix, lets say elevator to flapperon so my flaps go down as my elevator moves up.
I can then set one of the variable knobs to control the amount of mix.
Then I go fly and play with the amount of mix while my plane is in the air and get the mix just right by turning the knob on the Tx.

I can't do that on my DX8 - I have to set, say a 50% mix on the ground then fly and try it - then land to adjust the mix, then go fly . . . . . can't adjust the mix while the plane's in the air.

Will I be able to do this with the DX18?
If so I'm having one.
On the 8 , set up three different combos -then switch n try each.
You are apparantly flying gliders?
richard hanson is offline Find More Posts by richard hanson
Old Apr 13, 2012, 04:33 PM
United States, NC, Hertford
Joined Apr 2011
35 Posts
I'll be at Joe Nall this year. Will I be able to play with a demo of the DX18 at Joe Nall and if so what are the chances of being able to purchase one there?

Thanks,
Will N.
kodiak ak is offline Find More Posts by kodiak ak
Old Apr 13, 2012, 05:17 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,147 Posts
I had the Opportunity to fondle the DX18 today at the Toledo Show. As I understand it, you have 12 channels suitable for control surfaces, at 2048 res. Aux6-7 are 22ms.
Can you set the Tx to 11ms if you are using Ch11-18?
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by kodiak ak View Post
I'll be at Joe Nall this year. Will I be able to play with a demo of the DX18 at Joe Nall and if so what are the chances of being able to purchase one there?
All our employees will be flying them. The radio is scheduled for release in the summer.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:36 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,023 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Buschbarber View Post
I had the Opportunity to fondle the DX18 today at the Toledo Show. As I understand it, you have 12 channels suitable for control surfaces, at 2048 res. Aux6-7 are 22ms.
Can you set the Tx to 11ms if you are using Ch11-18?
11ms and XPLUS are mutually exclusive.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Apr 13, 2012, 06:52 PM
United States, NY, Rochester
Joined Apr 2004
1,147 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
11ms and XPLUS are mutually exclusive.

Andy
If you are not using XPlus can you use 11ms or are you limited to Ch1-10?

Andy - Are you coming to Toledo?
Buschbarber is online now Find More Posts by Buschbarber