HobbyKing.com New Products Flash Sale
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:30 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
No. The two trimmers (L Trim and R Trim) can also be used as momentary switches (as 3-position instead of 2-position).

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
to remove ads between posts
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:31 AM
Canada
Joined Aug 2004
814 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by aerocal View Post
Where do we draw the line on attempting to protect ppl from themselves?
Spektrum already crossed that line 3 trademarked/patented technologies ago...
grumpy42 is offline Find More Posts by grumpy42
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:41 AM
Time for me to Fly...
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,207 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
No. The two trimmers (L Trim and R Trim) can also be used as momentary switches (as 3-position instead of 2-position).

Andy
The other day in the LHS I asked to hold a DX8 just to feel the ergonomics of it. I figured it would be similar to the DX18. I don't think the position of the push button on the top lends itself well to DLG flying. I don't think the trim switches would be workable at all.... What am I referring to? Most DLG pilots need a momentary switch to use for their launch preset. When we are launching we hold the switch for a split second after the release. It has some elevator throw programed in and you only want it activated until the plane rotates up. Then you release it and the plane cleans up and climbs.

I found the position of the top push button difficult to have depressed and still be able to clutch the radio with one hand during the spin part of a discus launch. Maybe consider making the next radio with this switch out closer to the corner of the radio. Also consider toggle switch with momentary action at the top front corner.

In fact, why don't you guys design a DLG specific transmitter? I have lots of good ideas for one.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
RCG Plus Member
Latest blog entry: Some new engines some older
Old Mar 07, 2012, 10:52 AM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
We have a whole bunch of ideas in the database for DLG, too. If you want to PM me your list, I'll add any new ones to the database.

I have heard that some are changing out the Gear switch for a DX6's spring-loaded switch instead.

The DX18 is similar but not the same ergo-wise.

Andy
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 07, 2012, 02:24 PM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
The other day in the LHS I asked to hold a DX8 just to feel the ergonomics of it. I figured it would be similar to the DX18. I don't think the position of the push button on the top lends itself well to DLG flying. I don't think the trim switches would be workable at all.... What am I referring to? Most DLG pilots need a momentary switch to use for their launch preset. When we are launching we hold the switch for a split second after the release. It has some elevator throw programed in and you only want it activated until the plane rotates up. Then you release it and the plane cleans up and climbs.

I found the position of the top push button difficult to have depressed and still be able to clutch the radio with one hand during the spin part of a discus launch. Maybe consider making the next radio with this switch out closer to the corner of the radio. Also consider toggle switch with momentary action at the top front corner.

In fact, why don't you guys design a DLG specific transmitter? I have lots of good ideas for one.
The button position was kind of non-ergo for me as well.Simple fix.Pull the back off and swap the gear switch and trainer button locations.Very simple with no modification to the leads or connections.Mine is very comfortable and the gear switch is now in a location where it is close to impossible to accidentally activate.I can also very comfortably hold the trainer button in and also work the left stick.Very useful if throttle control is maintained in the master box.I think you will find it perfect for your DLG application as well.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Mar 09, 2012, 12:58 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
Andy,

I have a DX8 right now and the right stick has developed some notchy/poppyness that is driving me crazy.

I like the radio itself just fine, but the gimbles just aren't doing it for me. So I have a few questions on where to go from here:

1. Will the DX18 have newer, better gimbles? Something that will feel nice and not flimsy?

2. What about new spektrum compatible JR products? It doesn't look like JR is going to make any more DSM2/DSMX radios. Is this true? If I could buy a 9503 with telemetry, software updatiblity, and digital throttle trim I would do it in a second.

3. Will spektrum sell modules that will transmit DSMX?

Just trying to figure out how to get a DSMX radio that doesn't have notchy gimbles.
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Mar 09, 2012, 01:07 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
22,285 Posts
Maybe the ratchet plate is engaging? Since both are installed on throttle gimbal maybe both gimbal have the ratchet plate. Not 100% sure since mode change is not something I ever looked into.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Old Mar 09, 2012, 02:34 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
20,475 Posts
Hi Schu,

Maybe a bearing is failing? I don't know, mechanically it might need the Service guys to take a look at it. You've been complaining about the gimbals for a long time, so maybe you just got a bad one. The ones in my DX8s are all fine. Flying season is almost here, get it taken care of while the turnaround times are real short!

1) The DX18 has different gimbals in it, and yes, they are VERY nice and solid.

2) Obviously, I don't know anything at all about JR's plans, and couldn't comment if I did.

3) I think we explained before why that's not very possible. As for a possible new product or feature, you know I can neither confirm nor deny.

Andy

PS - there are a lot of good pilots here who really like the feel of the DX8 sticks.
Site Sponsor
Old Mar 09, 2012, 03:29 PM
USA, AK, Houston
Joined Aug 2005
776 Posts
I'm mailing it in then. The left stick is OK, but the right is not.

Thanks,
schu
akschu is offline Find More Posts by akschu
Old Mar 10, 2012, 01:36 AM
Central California
Joined Dec 2006
2,095 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by akschu View Post
Andy,

I have a DX8 right now and the right stick has developed some notchy/poppyness that is driving me crazy.

I like the radio itself just fine, but the gimbles just aren't doing it for me. So I have a few questions on where to go from here:

1. Will the DX18 have newer, better gimbles? Something that will feel nice and not flimsy?

2. What about new spektrum compatible JR products? It doesn't look like JR is going to make any more DSM2/DSMX radios. Is this true? If I could buy a 9503 with telemetry, software updatiblity, and digital throttle trim I would do it in a second.

3. Will spektrum sell modules that will transmit DSMX?

Just trying to figure out how to get a DSMX radio that doesn't have notchy gimbles.
I had this happen a few times with various radios over the years.I had it happen with my DX7s a couple weeks ago.Had a dustdevil past me.I guess a single grain of sand got in between the housing and the part of the gimbal that moves.It makes the gimbal feel like it almost kind of locking up and sticking like a bearing is jamming or something.Usually when I first feel something in a gimbal if I turn the radio face down and work the sticks it will work its way back out and clear up.The more you keep working it face up the more that grain if sand will work its way in deeper.Sometimes they will end up falling alll the way through inside the radio and clearing up.Ive had a few times where it kind of gets stuck in there and wont fall back out.Usually the vertical axis where the curved part rides inside the housing.Theres just a little tiny bit of clearance and a tiny grain of anything can make it feel like something really bad inside the gimabl itself.I had to slide one of my big feeler gauges in that gap to knock one loose more than once.

This might not be whats happening to yours but its worth a look.Its not real uncommon here where the dustdevils sneak up out of nowhere and whirl a bunch of dirt on your face while flying.I learned when one is hitting to turn my radio face down to keep the a little clinker from falling in there.Or when I feel one get in turn it facedown and work the sticks so it falls out before gravity pulls it in any deeper.
aerocal is offline Find More Posts by aerocal
Old Mar 13, 2012, 12:42 AM
San Jose, CA USA
Joined Oct 1999
103 Posts
I just got caught up on this thread, and find some of the comments about the extra 8 channels interesting.. 512 step resolution and variable latency up to 88 ms. on the Xplus channels..

Gee, it wasn't that long ago that a major radio vendor had variable latency up to 120 ms on the third channel of CCPM helis (the other two channels were faster, more like 50ms as I recall, but its been a while since I saw the data). Seems like plenty of pilots did just fine with that until someone actually measured the latency.. (I would love to see some good double blind testing of latency, and see just how well people can really tell. But at some point, faster does not matter anymore)

As for 512 steps, I measure a lot of servos and have yet to measure one that actually responded to 1024 (i.e. 1 microsecond deadband in a roughly 1000 to 2000 microsecond pulse range). Now, I haven't measured everything.. since I pay for most of the servos I test, so maybe there is something better out there I haven't tried yet. FWIW, the best I have tested is a JR 8411.. does not respond to 1 microsecond steps, but responds crisply to 2 microsecond steps.. so, not too far off JR's claim of 1 microsecond. I have tested some major brand digitals recently that were more like 10 microseconds (i.e. 100 step resolution). So, its nice if the limit on your resolution is not the radio, but 512 steps more than enough for all but the best servos. (and, of course, you need really good linkages to even take advantage of 512 resolution)

Finally, has anyone ever measured the latency of a "matchbox" type device? Its certainly not zero..

Anyway, as long as the DX18 does full mixing on all the channels, all of them seem quite useful to me, and it seems reasonable to call it an 18 ch radio.

Question for Andy.. If I use a DX18 with an AR12020 and the 8 ch Xplus unit, what do I get? 10 ch on the basic RX and 8 ch on the Xplus unit? What about with the 12020 by itself?

Thanks!

Bob
parky is offline Find More Posts by parky
Old Mar 13, 2012, 02:53 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
ok...
sorry for not reading through all this and the search didn't help..
Can my DX8 omdels be transfered on this one without changing anything ? (I understand rebind will be needed)
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Mar 13, 2012, 03:46 AM
microheli addict
Joined Nov 2009
42 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok...
Can my DX8 omdels be transfered on this one without changing anything ? (I understand rebind will be needed)
nope ... I asked this specifically.

although you might be able to edit your dx8 file to be dx18 friendly
NevB is offline Find More Posts by NevB
Old Mar 13, 2012, 05:15 AM
Suspended Account
Κύπρος, Λευκωσία, Πέρα Χωριό
Joined Jan 2010
9,530 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by NevB View Post
nope ... I asked this specifically.

although you might be able to edit your dx8 file to be dx18 friendly
so it is
pavcon is offline Find More Posts by pavcon
Old Mar 13, 2012, 07:44 AM
Cow flaps?? What cow????
United States, GA, Cochran
Joined Apr 2004
6,454 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by pavcon View Post
ok...

that is a good question.. Most before you could not..
powerlines is online now Find More Posts by powerlines