SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Reply
Thread Tools
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:52 PM
Registered User
Joined Feb 2008
2,780 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by mighty9 View Post
Im confused about the trim display.It looks like its easy enough to tell where it is.
What is confusing about that?
Dave H. is offline Find More Posts by Dave H.
Reply With Quote
Sign up now
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 01, 2012, 12:52 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
How many flight modes/conditions does it have, Andy? Will I be able to put my hands on one at Toledo?
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:00 PM
Radio? Screwdriver!
United Kingdom, England, Bristol
Joined Aug 2011
962 Posts
As someone who isn't a great fan of Spektrum stuff, I have to admit I really do like the look of this DX18 - both in spec and the appearance!! I do fear for the strength of that antenna and grab handle however. I don't like the fact that when carting around holding the grab handle, you are flexing and bending an antenna.Considering how many spare antennas my local model shop sells to Spektrum users - I do hope it is stronger!

Being a diversity antenna, it will be harder to do a range check, as you need to test both antennas - maybe Spektrum have already thought about this and allow both antennas to be tested separately in range check? Its about time really that diversity has been implemented on the transmitter side too. I should imagine however certain quarters will comment about this being a sticky plaster (band-aid) fix.

Also is no one concerned about being poked in the eye by that pointy antenna?

Hopefully (for Spektrum/Horizon Hobby) this model have a lot less production issues than the DX8 - especially for the price bracket it is in.

Just to clarify I'm not a hater of Spektrum, however just seen and read too many negative comments to buy into it - plus I got the Aurora 9 as it is superior (IMO and the opinion of many others) and has less problems that have required recalls than the DX8 - when I bought it. No doubt these issues have pretty much been sorted now. Oh and also the Hitec receivers have telemetry integrated into one unit - which Spektrum still hasn't done yet. Will it ever be integrated?

I do wonder if Hitec (it appears most of the other big players already have >9 channel transmitters available) will have an answer to this. Without getting into detail (and going off topic on the thread), Hitec will have to break its existing communications protocol to support more channels... I.e. have a switch-able modes. Or alternatively only allow greater channel receivers that are telemetry only - and switch modes when the telemetry initialises.

Will this support DSMX+DSM2 <18 channel receivers without switching modes? Or is there a compatibility mode for less channel receivers?

If the packet data sent over DSM2 is significantly changed to accommodate the extra channels, it could break existing (and compatible) receivers.
SimonChambers is offline Find More Posts by SimonChambers
RCG Plus Member
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:02 PM
Electrif(r)ied nitroman
danny.act's Avatar
BelgiŽ, Vlaams Gewest, Putte
Joined Jun 2004
1,006 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
A better sollution to a big color screen on a radio, IMHO would be the ability to plug it into a computer (laptop) via a USB port. You can then do all your fancy programming there much easier.... with help screens and the like. It could be really cool! Then have a regular screen and jog wheel for field adjustments.
Yep Mr. Wiz, then if something goes wrong in programming they can blame it on Your computer
danny.act is offline Find More Posts by danny.act
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:13 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
As someone who isn't a great fan of Spektrum stuff, I have to admit I really do like the look of this DX18 - both in spec and the appearance!! I do fear for the strength of that antenna and grab handle however. I don't like the fact that when carting around holding the grab handle, you are flexing and bending an antenna.Considering how many spare antennas my local model shop sells to Spektrum users - I do hope it is stronger!

Being a diversity antenna, it will be harder to do a range check, as you need to test both antennas - maybe Spektrum have already thought about this and allow both antennas to be tested separately in range check? Its about time really that diversity has been implemented on the transmitter side too. I should imagine however certain quarters will comment about this being a sticky plaster (band-aid) fix.

Also is no one concerned about being poked in the eye by that pointy antenna?

Hopefully (for Spektrum/Horizon Hobby) this model have a lot less production issues than the DX8 - especially for the price bracket it is in.

Just to clarify I'm not a hater of Spektrum, however just seen and read too many negative comments to buy into it - plus I got the Aurora 9 as it is superior (IMO and the opinion of many others) and has less problems that have required recalls than the DX8 - when I bought it. No doubt these issues have pretty much been sorted now. Oh and also the Hitec receivers have telemetry integrated into one unit - which Spektrum still hasn't done yet. Will it ever be integrated?

I do wonder if Hitec (it appears most of the other big players already have >9 channel transmitters available) will have an answer to this. Without getting into detail (and going off topic on the thread), Hitec will have to break its existing communications protocol to support more channels... I.e. have a switch-able modes. Or alternatively only allow greater channel receivers that are telemetry only - and switch modes when the telemetry initialises.

Will this support DSMX+DSM2 <18 channel receivers without switching modes? Or is there a compatibility mode for less channel receivers?

If the packet data sent over DSM2 is significantly changed to accommodate the extra channels, it could break existing (and compatible) receivers.
One would think the designers of the radio have already worked out the backwards compatibility issue... with their own stuff, of course.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:17 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
I just read it, 10 sailplane flight modes... Wow! That's cool.
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 01:31 PM
Time for me to Fly...
Mr. Wiz's Avatar
United States, MI, Fenton
Joined Jan 2000
8,639 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by danny.act View Post
Yep Mr. Wiz, then if something goes wrong in programming they can blame it on Your computer
It accepts an SD card for storing and sharing model programming, right? Isn't the next step to give us some cool software we can use on our computers to create these model setups? It seems not just the logical next step but one that's WAY over due. We'd still want the interface on the radio, of course. We'd need it in a pinch and for field adjustments to the programming but setting up models could be/should be sooo much easier. Of course, then the traffic here in the radios forum at RCG would be less... hummm
Mr. Wiz is offline Find More Posts by Mr. Wiz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:03 PM
Registered User
Joined Dec 2010
210 Posts
Are the model memory files interchangeable with the other dx radios or do they require tweeking once transferred?
Confuzshuz is offline Find More Posts by Confuzshuz
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:09 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,307 Posts
Looked like the Backlight is selectable, didn't look like the screen was lit up during the video post above.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:10 PM
Air, Ground & Water
freechip's Avatar
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
24,307 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzshuz View Post
Are the model memory files interchangeable with the other dx radios or do they require tweeking once transferred?
Pretty sure it was mention before that you could not use DX8 file for DX7s, thinking you won't be able to use DX18 in other then a DX18.
freechip is offline Find More Posts by freechip
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:22 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by 3d Marky View Post
2) Does this now mean the poor man's DX8 will wither away with limited firmware support as the team concentrate on the flagship models?
Actually the contrary. It gives us more tested features to integrate into the lower channel radios.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:23 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Wiz View Post
How many flight modes/conditions does it have, Andy? Will I be able to put my hands on one at Toledo?
10 for Sailplane, 5 for Acro and Heli.

I'm pretty sure you will be able to.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:29 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by SimonChambers View Post
As someone who isn't a great fan of Spektrum stuff, I have to admit I really do like the look of this DX18 - both in spec and the appearance!! I do fear for the strength of that antenna and grab handle however. I don't like the fact that when carting around holding the grab handle, you are flexing and bending an antenna.Considering how many spare antennas my local model shop sells to Spektrum users - I do hope it is stronger!
You aren't flexing the antenna. The antenna is INSIDE the handle, NOT is the handle. There is no strain applied to the antenna this way. And yes, it's designed to be quite strong.

Quote:
Also is no one concerned about being poked in the eye by that pointy antenna?
Far less than those old-fashioned fishing pole radios!

Quote:
Will this support DSMX+DSM2 <18 channel receivers without switching modes? Or is there a compatibility mode for less channel receivers?
It works with all our receivers (except the original DSM AR6000 park flyer rx, of course) with no need to manually switch modes. Save that requirement for other 18-channel radio brands...

Quote:
If the packet data sent over DSM2 is significantly changed to accommodate the extra channels, it could break existing (and compatible) receivers.
It isn't. No fear, my first flights on it were made with my ultra-micro models (AR6400) which is about as low-end as you can get. It works fine even if I have XPLUS enabled in the transmitter (though there's no XPLUS in the rx to use it).

If you want incompatibility even with still-in-production receivers, you'll have to look to some of our competitors who seem to have mastered it.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:32 PM
AndyKunz's Avatar
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
24,751 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Confuzshuz View Post
Are the model memory files interchangeable with the other dx radios or do they require tweeking once transferred?
Right now the DX10t and DX18 model files are interchangeable, although you may not want to do that. The DX18 doesn't have nearly as many switches possible as the DX10t, and the DX10t comes with more sliders in the default system.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Reply With Quote
Old Feb 01, 2012, 02:42 PM
Look Up
CiprianGugu's Avatar
United States, TN, Jamestown
Joined Nov 2003
1,180 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Actually the contrary. It gives us more tested features to integrate into the lower channel radios.

Andy
Hopefully, among those features will be included a configurable inactivity alarm.
CiprianGugu is online now Find More Posts by CiprianGugu
Reply With Quote
Reply


Thread Tools

Similar Threads
Category Thread Thread Starter Forum Replies Last Post
Discussion Spektrum DSM2 and the Nats - Question for Spektrum/JR users aeajr Sailplane Talk 25 May 29, 2012 04:14 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Dec 20, 2011 06:12 PM
Sold Spektrum DX6 6-channel System with Spektrum AR6000 Receiver $50 shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 4 Dec 14, 2011 08:30 PM
For Sale Spektrum & JR 2.4 Ghz DSM2 receivers for sale I have a sailplane sized Spektrum AR93 zaptherio Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 1 Nov 15, 2011 06:14 PM
Sold SPEKTRUM DX6i DSMX with Spektrum Ni-cads and charger- like new condition shooboy Aircraft - General - Radio Equipment (FS/W) 6 Oct 19, 2011 05:59 AM