SMALL - espritmodel.com SMALL - Telemetry SMALL - Radio
Old Feb 11, 2013, 01:59 PM
*** gravity sucks ***
Netherlands
Joined Mar 2007
400 Posts
Andy, thanks for the answer. I'll just give it a try.
A DX18 is coming my way, but it may take a short while before it hits my mailbox.
Fotor is offline Find More Posts by Fotor
to remove ads between posts
Old Feb 11, 2013, 02:40 PM
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Jun 2003
28 Posts
In response to #4663
Freechip we are in same book but not on the same page. I will try again. The startup is setup as stated before:
“My Heli Warning screen boxes are as follows:
Gyro: 0-clear, 1-clear, 2-black, 3-black;
Hold: 0-black, 1-clear,2-clear
Flight mode: N-clear.1-black, 1-black

With these settings what I get is as stated in #4659, that is, if Hold is on clear 1 or 2, the Flight mode switch is in blackout Flight Mode 1 or 2 there is no alarm when turned on.”

Since the Hold switch is in the default startup position of hold, there is no warning alarm to tell me that the Flight Mode switch is not in the default position. When switching out of hold there is still no warning and the Heli comes on hot with possible danger.

Try this on your DX18 and see what I mean. It is easily duplicated.

A few work-a-rounds:
1. Start with Hold not in the default startup position (off) read the warning display and correct the Flight Mode switch default positions if necessary then turn on the Hold (on).
2. Use the Preflight Checklist as a reminder of default startup switch positions.
3. Don’t use the Heli warning feature at all in its present state.

Warnings can sometime be misleading and become a Safety Hazard and this may be the case here.
Bob
Okaydoekay is offline Find More Posts by Okaydoekay
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:01 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
Why don't you attach your SPM file so we can see the whole picture please?

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 11, 2013, 03:44 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,814 Posts
Warnings

@ Okaydoekay - Everything seems to be working here. Post your SPM file.

Quote:
With these settings what I get is as stated in #4659, that is, if Hold is on clear 1 or 2, the Flight mode switch is in blackout Flight Mode 1 or 2 there is no alarm when turned on.”
I get alarm.
Quote:
Freechip we are in same book but not on the same page. I will try again
Agreed but who's on the right page? It's working for me

IMO and from what I can understand from you your warning setup should be
Hold: 0 clear 1&2 Black
FM: N clear 1&2 Black.

So this ensures you have throttle hold activate OR you are in normal Flight Mode when powering on the radio.
freechip is online now Find More Posts by freechip
Last edited by freechip; Feb 11, 2013 at 03:53 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 04:01 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,814 Posts
OK, I finaly understand what you are saying and doing.

Quote:
if Hold is on clear 1 or 2, the Flight mode switch is in blackout Flight Mode 1 or 2 there is no alarm when turned on.”
Yes because the Warning Alarm is based on the Actual FLIGHT MODE condition and not the switch position.
When you have your THROTTLE HOLD switch in Throttle Hold Mode, during Power On it doesn't matter what alarm you set for Flight Mode 1 and or 2 since the Flight mode is actual in HOLD and you programmed the warning that in Hold it's ok to power on.

The DX8 Throttle Hold warning warns you if you already have it turned on before power up. Lots of discussion on this topic and the answer given LONG time ago and I remember it made sense. just don't recall what it is anymore.

I have programmed my Brain to position all my switches a certain way before powering on my radio and when flying a heli I turn on throttle hold AFTER I powered on the radio.
Last edited by freechip; Feb 11, 2013 at 04:15 PM.
Old Feb 11, 2013, 08:03 PM
United States, AZ, Surprise
Joined Jun 2003
28 Posts
41Trex450 Test

Andy/freeclip here is the requested SPM file regarding Heli warning alarms.

Bob
Okaydoekay is offline Find More Posts by Okaydoekay
Last edited by Okaydoekay; Feb 11, 2013 at 08:05 PM. Reason: sp
Old Feb 12, 2013, 07:26 PM
Burlington, KY
Joined Mar 2003
31 Posts
I hate posting stuff like this on the internet, but hope someone can help me with a DX18 question. Over Christmas, I sold off all of my radio equipment (Futaba and Airtronics) and bought a couple of DX18s for my son Alex and myself. I had read about a lot of people who liked the radio and wanted something that Alex and I could share setups as well as use with all of the BNF models. I have been trying to set up our IMAC planes and am frustrated with what I am doing. It will be a long question with hopefully an easy answer.

I am used to Flight Conditions with Futaba and Airtronics. I thought that Spektrum's Flight Modes were the same thing.

With Flight Conditions, it is like setting up a completely new airplane whenever you switch into a new condition. Basic setups stay the same such as channels reversed or normal, but pretty much everything else can be changed. The big one is that with each condition, you can set different travel limits on servos. Within the travel limits, you can set dual or even triple rates (Airtronics) and have these assigned to any switch or stick. Expo can also be different for every flight condition and can also be set to change on any switch or stick.

Flight Conditions can be set to any switch and are on a heirachy. In other words, FC1 is overridden by FC2 which is overridden by FC3, etc. My experience is not with the top end Futaba radios, it is with a 14 year old 9Z and an Airtronics SD-10 which costs half of the DX18.

My frustration with the DX18 range from minor to major. The minor is that the Flight Modes can only be set on two switches. They do not use a heirachy and instead you have to be in FM2 to activate FM4. (I use 4 Flight conditions on my planes). The major frustration is that the flight modes do not seem to do much. The servo travel is set on the main menu and stays the same for all flight modes. The dual rates can be used to kind of do this, but then you only have a single rate per mode and you are limited to a max of three rates.

Here is the basics of how I like to set up planes....

FC1 - 3D - Full throws on all surfaces
FC2 - Take off / Landing / Spin - Mixing of slight down elevator to low throttle on a switch. Ailerons low, elevator slightly more than snap, rudder higher than snap
FC3 - Snap / Normal flight - Higher aileron than FC2, Lower Elevator and lower Rudder than FC2. Also - and this is important - I set up dual rates on the throttle stick. This helps make snaps on uplines look the same as ones on downlines for us mere mortals. At high throttle, I increase the aileron and decrease the tail. At low throttle, I reduce aileron an increase the tail. I use a lot of expo to soften up around middle.
FC4 - High rudder - same elevator as snap, ailerons as FC2, full rudder - different mixing of rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron than FC2 and FC3. This is used for rock solid high alpha KE and for hammerheads with on a Carden 260 (small rudder).

My questions are:
1. CAN the DX18 do what I need it to do?
2. How do I get it to do what I want it to do?

3. If it can't, how do Mike,Seth, Peter, QQ, etc set up their IMAC /3D planes? I thought there were supposed to be files posted of Team Member / Expert set ups, but I have not been able to find them.

I apologize if this has been asked in the past on this thread. I read the manual several times and did not find my answer there.

Thanks in advance -
Fly4Fun2 is offline Find More Posts by Fly4Fun2
Old Feb 13, 2013, 11:00 AM
United States, MA, Holliston
Joined Aug 2008
392 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by Fly4Fun2 View Post
I hate posting stuff like this on the internet, but hope someone can help me with a DX18 question. Over Christmas, I sold off all of my radio equipment (Futaba and Airtronics) and bought a couple of DX18s for my son Alex and myself. I had read about a lot of people who liked the radio and wanted something that Alex and I could share setups as well as use with all of the BNF models. I have been trying to set up our IMAC planes and am frustrated with what I am doing. It will be a long question with hopefully an easy answer.

I am used to Flight Conditions with Futaba and Airtronics. I thought that Spektrum's Flight Modes were the same thing.

With Flight Conditions, it is like setting up a completely new airplane whenever you switch into a new condition. Basic setups stay the same such as channels reversed or normal, but pretty much everything else can be changed. The big one is that with each condition, you can set different travel limits on servos. Within the travel limits, you can set dual or even triple rates (Airtronics) and have these assigned to any switch or stick. Expo can also be different for every flight condition and can also be set to change on any switch or stick.

Flight Conditions can be set to any switch and are on a heirachy. In other words, FC1 is overridden by FC2 which is overridden by FC3, etc. My experience is not with the top end Futaba radios, it is with a 14 year old 9Z and an Airtronics SD-10 which costs half of the DX18.

My frustration with the DX18 range from minor to major. The minor is that the Flight Modes can only be set on two switches. They do not use a heirachy and instead you have to be in FM2 to activate FM4. (I use 4 Flight conditions on my planes). The major frustration is that the flight modes do not seem to do much. The servo travel is set on the main menu and stays the same for all flight modes. The dual rates can be used to kind of do this, but then you only have a single rate per mode and you are limited to a max of three rates.

Here is the basics of how I like to set up planes....

FC1 - 3D - Full throws on all surfaces
FC2 - Take off / Landing / Spin - Mixing of slight down elevator to low throttle on a switch. Ailerons low, elevator slightly more than snap, rudder higher than snap
FC3 - Snap / Normal flight - Higher aileron than FC2, Lower Elevator and lower Rudder than FC2. Also - and this is important - I set up dual rates on the throttle stick. This helps make snaps on uplines look the same as ones on downlines for us mere mortals. At high throttle, I increase the aileron and decrease the tail. At low throttle, I reduce aileron an increase the tail. I use a lot of expo to soften up around middle.
FC4 - High rudder - same elevator as snap, ailerons as FC2, full rudder - different mixing of rudder to elevator and rudder to aileron than FC2 and FC3. This is used for rock solid high alpha KE and for hammerheads with on a Carden 260 (small rudder).

My questions are:
1. CAN the DX18 do what I need it to do?
2. How do I get it to do what I want it to do?

3. If it can't, how do Mike,Seth, Peter, QQ, etc set up their IMAC /3D planes? I thought there were supposed to be files posted of Team Member / Expert set ups, but I have not been able to find them.

I apologize if this has been asked in the past on this thread. I read the manual several times and did not find my answer there.

Thanks in advance -
I normally fly a slightly simpler setup with just 3 flight modes but let me see if I can make a suggestion that will get you close.

Enable flight modes using switch B(any 3 position switch) and Throttle stick.

FM1: Takeoff, Landing, Spins, general precision flying.
FM2: With Switch B in the FM2 position, Full throttle will select FM2, Half throttle with select FM4 and low throttle with select FM5. Use these flight modes to tune you snaps based on throttle position.
FM3: 3D / Full throws on everything.

Just set the travel adjusts to give you the most throw you want on any control surface with 100% dual rate setting and then dial it down from there in the various flight modes using the dual rates..
wfield0455 is offline Find More Posts by wfield0455
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:46 PM
Burlington, KY
Joined Mar 2003
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by wfield0455 View Post
I normally fly a slightly simpler setup with just 3 flight modes but let me see if I can make a suggestion that will get you close.

Enable flight modes using switch B(any 3 position switch) and Throttle stick.

FM1: Takeoff, Landing, Spins, general precision flying.
FM2: With Switch B in the FM2 position, Full throttle will select FM2, Half throttle with select FM4 and low throttle with select FM5. Use these flight modes to tune you snaps based on throttle position.
FM3: 3D / Full throws on everything.

Just set the travel adjusts to give you the most throw you want on any control surface with 100% dual rate setting and then dial it down from there in the various flight modes using the dual rates..
I will give that a try tonight. Thank you for taking the time to reply.

My problem is that the dual rates stay the same for all flight modes.

Alsom, this set up will limit it to really 3 FM and not 5, which is a step backwards for my needs. Another issue I see is having the snap flight mode on a center position. From experience, I can tell you that it is easy to miss the center position during a contest and end up doing a full 3D throw snap. In my case, it bent the wing tube and cost me a round, but it easily could have damaged or destroyed the plane. This is why I like having Flight Modes on any switch and then having a heirarchy. It eleminates the possibility of accidently being in the wrong flight mode.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:50 PM
Burlington, KY
Joined Mar 2003
31 Posts
If I could figure out how to have different dual rates or even throws in the different FMs, I would be happy with that. I could live with the rest. I guess I don't understand how the FMs work. They do not seem to be anything like Flight Conditions.
Old Feb 13, 2013, 01:51 PM
Illinois
Joined Sep 2001
23,380 Posts
Quote:
My problem is that the dual rates stay the same for all flight modes.
Select Flight Mode as the D/R switch.

Andy
AndyKunz is offline Find More Posts by AndyKunz
Site Sponsor
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:04 PM
Burlington, KY
Joined Mar 2003
31 Posts
Quote:
Originally Posted by AndyKunz View Post
Select Flight Mode as the D/R switch.

Andy
Hi Andy - thank you for replying. I had heard you were the guy to talk to about this and was hoping you would chime in. If I use the Flight Mode switch as the D/R switch, I am limited to a max of three, not five.....or I am missing something?
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:23 PM
Joined Nov 2008
81 Posts
Quote:
Hi Andy - thank you for replying. I had heard you were the guy to talk to about this and was hoping you would chime in. If I use the Flight Mode switch as the D/R switch, I am limited to a max of three, not five.....or I am missing something?
Flight mode isn't a switch as such. It uses which flight mode you are in. It will work with however many flight modes are enabled. On my dx10t for my Helis, it adds in the hold as well.

Cheers,
AP
powella is offline Find More Posts by powella
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:42 PM
Air, Ground & Water
Canada, ON, Rockland
Joined Aug 2008
23,814 Posts
Quote:
... Flight Conditions can be set to any switch and are on a heirachy. In other words, FC1 is overridden by FC2 which is overridden by FC3, etc. My experience is not with the top end Futaba radios, it is with a 14 year old 9Z and an Airtronics SD-10 which costs half of the DX18.

My frustration with the DX18 range from minor to major. The minor is that the Flight Modes can only be set on two switches. They do not use a heirachy and instead you have to be in FM2 to activate FM4. (I use 4 Flight conditions on my planes). ... Thanks in advance -
@ Fly4Fun - Give this a try and let me know what you think. Just import the SPM file in a Blank Model Memory and look at the main screen while you play with these two switches Sw.B & Sw.G

FM 1,2 & 3 on Sw.B while FM 4 & 5 are on Sw.G You can only access FM 4 & 5 when on FM 3

I think this is the " heirachy " you are used to and are talking about..
Old Feb 13, 2013, 02:53 PM
United States, CA, Sunnyvale
Joined Oct 2001
74 Posts
Feature Request...I think

Hi,

Just got a DX18 and so far I am liking it alot.

One feature that would be great and would stop any temptation I have to go back to JR is the ability to change mix percentages in flight via a slider like the xg11.

Thought I might be able to do it by chaining mixes but realized that a mix won't take the output of a mix as an input. It only uses stick/knob/etc. positions as input.

So unless I am missing something and there is someway to do it now it would be great to add that feature so one can dial in how much mix they need in flight and then lock it in. Only options I see are the usual take off, try it, land, adjust, take off, try it, etc or trying to set up a bunch of mixes with slightly different values and try and to switch through all.

I haven't found anything else the xg11 will do that this doesn't and the DX18 definitely has things the xg11 does not. Nice radio.

This would also be handy for dialing in rates as well. I fly pylon and it can take quite a few flights to find just the right rate to pull full elevator and give you just the right turn radius.

Regards,
Joe.
delateurj is offline Find More Posts by delateurj